Premed 101 Forums

How do I calculate my sGPA if I've not been taking a 100% course load?

I have been looking into this for months.  I know they will average something for people like me without a 100% course load, BUT I still don't know how to calculate it

I will literally pay someone to do this for me.  I need to know if its worth it for me to volunteer across the next year (I have zero volunteer physio experience) by knowing if my GPA is high or not, because if its not then why even volunteer and do anything tbh, right?  All of my courses in my last 20 are A- and above except two courses, but again I need to know what impact the whole averaging thing will have.

I think if you have zero PT experience, regardless of your GPA, you should try to get some. Otherwise it's hard to know if it's the right career for you. Also, a lot of prospective PT students seek out experiences not just for applications, but because they genuinely enjoy learning about it. So I think if you're considering the field, you need to want to get experience and learn more.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm close with many new grads and current students and the program is DEMANDING. And I've gotten a lot of experience which is how I know I'm willing to go through that. I've also worked with people who aren't passionate and it shows.

7 hours ago, PTPTPT said:

I think if you have zero PT experience, regardless of your GPA, you should try to get some. Otherwise it's hard to know if it's the right career for you. Also, a lot of prospective PT students seek out experiences not just for applications, but because they genuinely enjoy learning about it. So I think if you're considering the field, you need to want to get experience and learn more.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm close with many new grads and current students and the program is DEMANDING. And I've gotten a lot of experience which is how I know I'm willing to go through that. I've also worked with people who aren't passionate and it shows.

But the admission process is almost entirely based on GPA, even for schools like Western and Queen's which supposedly look for experiences.  So why would I volunteer and see if this field is for me if I don't have the GPA to begin with?  I need to gauge how competitive my GPA is first of all, don't ya think?  

4 hours ago, zerochance said:

But the admission process is almost entirely based on GPA, even for schools like Western and Queen's which supposedly look for experiences.  So why would I volunteer and see if this field is for me if I don't have the GPA to begin with?  I need to gauge how competitive my GPA is first of all, don't ya think?  

I think that's a fair starting point, but even if you don't have a competitive GPA right now, doesn't mean you have to write off the career. Through volunteering you might fall in love and realize that it's worth it to you to boost your GPA with extra courses.

And yes GPA is a large component, except McMaster which is now 25% GPA and 75% online interview