Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances for UBC med as an OOP student?

from Ontario

last year of undergrad, GPA - 4.0

MCAT - 526 ... unfortunately they don't weigh it competitively pre-interview so not much help 

awards - NSERC, academic medal, random scholarships

research experience but no presentations or publications 

executive member of two clubs; lots of volunteering (long term and diverse), minimal work experience

I don't want to get my hopes up for an interview invite because i know UBC is super difficult for OOP students .... I hoped my mcat would help but since they don't look at it pre-interview, I'm worried the rest of my app doesn't stand out. 

27 minutes ago, HopefulMD786 said:

Sorry but isn’t 95% the highest percentage a non-UBC student can have?

Unless your school uses % instead of letter grades?

Yeah my school uses a percent - that's just the average of all my course marks.

Maybe UBC converts everything to letters before determining the percentage? I don't know how they calculate it

1 minute ago, sorrynotsorry said:

Not an expert, but I think your chances of getting an interview at UBC is good. But you probably have a better chance at McMaster and UofT with your stats, in addition to schools that use MCAT competitive (ie Manitoba and Saskatchewan). 
Sidenote, I don’t know it’s good ideal to post your transcript on a public forum. It makes you easily identifiable.  

thank you

3 hours ago, premed0821 said:

Yeah my school uses a percent - that's just the average of all my course marks.

Maybe UBC converts everything to letters before determining the percentage? I don't know how they calculate it

If your school has a percent and letter grades, UBC uses the percent

96.5% with a 526 is baller - you pretty much have to have no life outside of medicine and to personally offend each interviewer to not get in. Y'all Ontario/OOP applicants are on some next ting lmao

Just now, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

If your school has a percent and letter grades, UBC uses the percent

96.5% with a 526 is baller - you pretty much have to have no life outside of medicine and to personally offend each interviewer to not get in. Y'all Ontario/OOP applicants are on some next ting lmao

Ok, thank you so much, that’s reassuring haha. I was just worried since I was under the impression that UBC doesn’t look at MCAT scores after you meet the cutoff and I know a lot of applicants have amazing research and work experience that I don’t have. I guess we all have different strengths! Best of luck with your application :)

9 minutes ago, committed-premed said:

Ok, thank you so much, that’s reassuring haha. I was just worried since I was under the impression that UBC doesn’t look at MCAT scores after you meet the cutoff and I know a lot of applicants have amazing research and work experience that I don’t have. I guess we all have different strengths! Best of luck with your application :)

UBC doesn't look at MCAT pre-interview past a cutoff so GPA + ECs determine if you get an interview...but MCAT is looked at post-interview so if you get an interview then you'll have an easier time getting an offer

1 hour ago, committed-premed said:

53 minutes ago, corgi321 said:

UBC doesn't look at MCAT pre-interview past a cutoff so GPA + ECs determine if you get an interview...but MCAT is looked at post-interview so if you get an interview then you'll have an easier time getting an offer

corgi321 is correct - they don't look at MCAT pre-interview as long as you meet cutoffs. Post-interview they do though. That's why I said that to get rejected, you pretty much have to have no life outside of medicine (i.e. something GPA can't make up for in the pre-interview stage) as well as personally offend the interviewer (i.e. something MCAT can't make up for (if you get flagged) in the post-interview stage)

2 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

corgi321 is correct - they don't look at MCAT pre-interview as long as you meet cutoffs. Post-interview they do though. That's why I said that to get rejected, you pretty much have to have no life outside of medicine (i.e. something GPA can't make up for in the pre-interview stage) as well as personally offend the interviewer (i.e. something MCAT can't make up for (if you get flagged) in the post-interview stage)

Ohhh makes sense. Thanks and good luck !