Premed 101 Forums

Need Real Honest Opinions about Prospects!

Hey! I'm currently applying to PT schools in Ontario (and UK to be safe!), but I am very worried about my stats. I currently have like a 3.75 cGPA and hopefully 3.80 sGPA, and I know these are relatively low for PT applications in Ontario. I have hundreds of hours in different student-run organizations about leadership and mentoring, I also was a camp counsellor working with children with disabilities (260 hours-ish). I worked/volunteered as an Aide in 4 clinics, but not for a super long time (maybe 300 hours total?) and a long term care home (56 hours). A little sprinkle of volunteer research experience in two labs, but nothing substantial. The one thing I feel pretty comfortable in are my reference letters and maybe my statement of intent. I haven't done the CASPers yet but, to be honest, writing is not my strongest suit so I don't think I'll do exceptionally well on those :(

I am so anxious about this because I see people with extensive research background and thousands of hours of shadowing/experience with much higher GPAs, so do you think I have a realistic chance of getting in?

Thank you for any insight 

Do you think every single person applying has thousands of hours of experience and much higher GPA? If you look at GPA cutoffs for any university 3.8 is competitive and you have volunteer experience. I would stop overthinking things and just prepare for the CASPER. If you get in you get in, if not you can assess and then work on any perceived weaknesses for next year. 

3 hours ago, firewatch said:

Do you think every single person applying has thousands of hours of experience and much higher GPA? If you look at GPA cutoffs for any university 3.8 is competitive and you have volunteer experience. I would stop overthinking things and just prepare for the CASPER. If you get in you get in, if not you can assess and then work on any perceived weaknesses for next year. 

You're honestly right, I'm definitely going to do that. I appreciate you taking the time to write this out.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, PTAppsStressed said:

Hey! I'm currently applying to PT schools in Ontario (and UK to be safe!), but I am very worried about my stats. I currently have like a 3.75 cGPA and hopefully 3.80 sGPA, and I know these are relatively low for PT applications in Ontario. I have hundreds of hours in different student-run organizations about leadership and mentoring, I also was a camp counsellor working with children with disabilities (260 hours-ish). I worked/volunteered as an Aide in 4 clinics, but not for a super long time (maybe 300 hours total?) and a long term care home (56 hours). A little sprinkle of volunteer research experience in two labs, but nothing substantial. The one thing I feel pretty comfortable in are my reference letters and maybe my statement of intent. I haven't done the CASPers yet but, to be honest, writing is not my strongest suit so I don't think I'll do exceptionally well on those :(

I am so anxious about this because I see people with extensive research background and thousands of hours of shadowing/experience with much higher GPAs, so do you think I have a realistic chance of getting in?

i got into an ontario PT school last year with an sGPA of 3.73 and cGPA of 3.5. Don't give up, you got this! 

1 hour ago, PTqt said:

Hi there! Which UK schools are you applying to, and why did you choose those? Are you using an application service like Across the Pond? Thanks!

Hi! I applied to a ton because I am paranoid. I honestly did it more out of popularity and price (brighton, oxford brookes, st george, uCLan, glasgow, brunel, cumbria).

I used both across the pond and si-uk because I didn't know which one would be better (both are the same, pretty much, but ATP is more personal bc I think they're a smaller company!

On 12/5/2020 at 11:53 PM, gummy2020 said:

Hey! I got in this past year with basically the same stats as you. Prepare your best for the CASPER and make sure your personal statement lines up with the PT competencies (you can find them online)! A strong supplementary will set you apart. 

Thank you for your insight! Do you mind sharing what university you got into? 

On 12/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, PTAppsStressed said:

you should be fine. you'll get into uk easy, probably will into ontario as well imo.