Premed 101 Forums

Gift ideas for a physician who helped me with application/interview?

BonJovi

The best gift you can give is a sincere thank you and keeping this physician informed of your progress over the years. We all pay forward to some degree and you are lucky to have had such support. This physician expects nothing from you other than sincere appreciation and watching your development into a competent physician in the years ahead. 

a card and box of chocolate would be good for this time.

And good idea to keep in touch with them in the future, even if it's just sending a Christmas card every year. People forget about their old students they made before so nothing better than send your mentors a hand written Christmas card every year to rekindle their memories.

Totally agree with @shikimate

For those who were extremely instrumental, I do keep in touch...like my master's supervisor. Even 10 years out if I am in town I try to connect with him even for a few minutes in the lab to show my appreciation and find out what's up in the old stomping grounds.

Similarly, with those who have written me many reference letters...grad school, med school, residency...I am so grateful for so many supporters along the way. A card or email or if possible a brief visit or phone call means a lot.

• 4 months later...