Premed 101 Forums

What schools have a separate pool for MD/PhD applicants?

Canadian123

I have an extensive research background (10 first author publications, MSc, 30,000+ in funding, etc). I found out that some med schools don't "really care" about this but put more emphasis on GPA (figured) but also volunteering and work come before research. My GPA is okay but not competitive - that made me think that I should try for a MD/PhD instead where it is viewed more in my favour. What schools have a separate pool for MD/PhD applicants? I don't think I am a competitive applicant if I am competing against other MD applicants but I might be in a smaller pool with just MD/PhD applicants? 

On 12/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, hamsterman11 said:

In quebec, I know that McGill does it https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/mdcm-phd/apply-now

Actually, McGill does it not only for their MD-PhD program, but also their general MD program through the WorkBook and CV (in case you don't wanna apply for to the MD-PhD). Other French universities in Qc take into account the education level (separate pools for Bsc, Msc and PhD students), but idk if you speak French... and still, McGill would allow you to stand out more with you CV.

All francophone universities will require you to pass a French proficiency test if you didn't graduate from Cégep (Qc college) or didn't attend a francophone university. The minimal score required varies from a uni to another, but they roughly ask for a C level (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) aka proficient user.

As for the "interviews", the CASPer test can be taken in French or English, but I don't know about the MMIs... To my knowledge, McGill allows you to pass the MMIs in French or English.

Casper has to be taken in french for sherbrooke and uLaval at least (and for uOttawa french stream).

for Université de Montréal, université laval and sherbrooke, MMIs are in french only (they are called MEMFI, mini-entrevues multiples francophones intégrées).

Sherbrooke and Laval don’t have a separate pool for Md/phd but you can do a md/phd there once you’ve been accepted in the regular stream. Plus they offer a bonus on your CRU if you have a bachelor degree and a master degree completed. But there’s no way to calculate your CRU on your own, you have to apply to know it for sure. Some bachelor degrees give huge CRU for an okay GPA and some bachelor degrees give bad CRU for awesome GPAs so it’s kinda a gamble.

but there’s not a lot of places for OOP in quebec french med schools if you are not part of the CNFS or if you’re from Ontario (because Ontario has a french med program with uOttawa).