Premed 101 Forums

Grad student applicants

veromedico

I'm a grad applicant. Year 1 MSc. I've never heard of that extra 10%. Is that only for those who've completed a graduate degree or can you be in progress? But to answer your question I'm pretty sure all Quebec university students holding a bachelor's degree at the start of the program are put into the same pool regardless of other studies. It comes down to where you live and if you hold a BSc or not.

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/determine-your-applicant-category

I'm not a grad applicant, but as far as I understand it your applicant pool depends only on your residency status unless you're applying to Med-P or MD-PhD.

As for the 10%, I'm not sure this is entirely correct. Of the 70% of the pre-interview weight that depends on your academics, 90% is for your undergraduate cGPA, and 10% is for "academic context" which includes graduate studies as one of a few possible components. I don't think there's any indication that having any graduate degree automatically gives you the full 10% (which works out to being only 7% iirc of your pre-interview score).

54 minutes ago, coffee said:

I'm a grad applicant. Year 1 MSc. I've never heard of that extra 10%. Is that only for those who've completed a graduate degree or can you be in progress? But to answer your question I'm pretty sure all Quebec university students holding a bachelor's degree at the start of the program are put into the same pool regardless of other studies. It comes down to where you live and if you hold a BSc or not.

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/determine-your-applicant-category

makes sense!! I thought grads are entered into mature applicants pool!!! interesting!

I never read it on their website, only heard it from some ppl!

Thanks for ur reponse :)

33 minutes ago, Vons said:

I'm not a grad applicant, but as far as I understand it your applicant pool depends only on your residency status unless you're applying to Med-P or MD-PhD.

As for the 10%, I'm not sure this is entirely correct. Of the 70% of the pre-interview weight that depends on your academics, 90% is for your undergraduate cGPA, and 10% is for "academic context" which includes graduate studies as one of a few possible components. I don't think there's any indication that having any graduate degree automatically gives you the full 10% (which works out to being only 7% iirc of your pre-interview score).

u r right! I have only heard it from previous applicants!

Thanks for ur reponse :)

McGill used to have a non-traditional pathway, where graduated grad students could apply if they had started working. They removed that category a few years ago, so now basically anyone who has a Bachelor's degree is placed in the same category, regardless if you have a graduate degree or not. 

That being said, it has been discussed that having a graduate degree can help you in the academic context or the CV portion of your application, but there is no official "rule" of points being given for having a graduate degree. In the French schools, they actually do add points to your CRU when you have a MSc or a PhD (for a PhD it is +1 point at ULaval and +2 points at UdeS). 

6 minutes ago, ggphd said:

McGill used to have a non-traditional pathway, where graduated grad students could apply if they had started working. They removed that category a few years ago, so now basically anyone who has a Bachelor's degree is placed in the same category, regardless if you have a graduate degree or not. 

That being said, it has been discussed that having a graduate degree can help you in the academic context or the CV portion of your application, but there is no official "rule" of points being given for having a graduate degree. In the French schools, they actually do add points to your CRU when you have a MSc or a PhD (for a PhD it is +1 point at ULaval and +2 points at UdeS). 

its interesting how things change so fast!!! every cycle

Thanks for the info!

9 hours ago, Elgar said:

McGill doesn't divulgate exactly how much extra points are given for having an MSc, PhD or a degree from a professional program. We just know they are some of the things that can get you extra points from (ranging from 0-10%) of the non GPA part of the academic portion. This is a very obscure part of the evaluation process....!

you are such a caring med student answering our questions! not everyone does that!! So appreciative of you!