Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

Welp, someone had to make this...thought I'd post it since interview notifications will be rolling out soon (next week at the earliest)

As in previous years, feel free to share your application info/interview notification info using the template below:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):
Result (i.e. invite or regrets):
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable):
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS):
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP):
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff):

Good luck everyone! This process can be very anxiety-inducing, but I kinda like having this community of fellow applicants on here lol. Feel free to also just discuss general thoughts/feelings in this thread and to 'hash out' your anxieties!

Lastly and most importantly STAY SAFE so that hopefully in the Future we can all take our Mask Off hehe

59 minutes ago, Raisin Bran said:

Are invites/regrets sent out via email? I thought we had to check OAS to find out.

I think both - it's certainly both wrt invites (since you get a new OAS portal titled "interview"), but you definitely receive an email either way. That's where we derive the timestamp from (i.e. the time the email got sent to you)

4 hours ago, Raisin Bran said:

Are invites/regrets sent out via email? I thought we had to check OAS to find out.

Yeah basically once the OAS system updates with the result, you will get an e-mail from the system at the exact same time. So regardless of whether you're refreshing your OAS page or watching your e-mail, you'll find out at the same time.

1 minute ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

I feeeeeel thisssss lmao like at this time last year the applicants were already finding out. We still have roughly a week (at minimum, to boot!)

I'm in that weird place between 'I wanna rip off the band-aid' and 'I don't want to know' lmao. At least we can all suffer together here. 

Just now, immune said:

I'm in that weird place between 'I wanna rip off the band-aid' and 'I don't want to know' lmao. At least we can all suffer together here. 

True lol that is an awkward phase. I think I got past that phase in around August (I applied really early). Now I'm really deep into "rip off the bandaid" territory

40 minutes ago, corgi321 said:

I'm not expecting too much since my average is on the lower side for OOP (~87) but I'm mostly curious to see what quartile they think my ECs are in...might give me a better rough idea of how I stand for other schools

I’m excited about this too! I’ve never applied to UBC before so even this tiny wee little tidbit of feedback along with the R is so exciting to me LOL 

6 hours ago, corgi321 said:

I'm not expecting too much since my average is on the lower side for OOP (~87) but I'm mostly curious to see what quartile they think my ECs are in...might give me a better rough idea of how I stand for other schools

From what I've seen with my friends, UBC is possibly the most enigmatic when it comes to assessing ECs... from my friends who were successful on the first try, they had similar backgrounds (varsity sports, long-term healthcare-related volunteering commitments, large scholarships, and lots of experience in research environments with two out of my three friends being published before starting 4th year undergrad). However, I had another friend who had all of that minus the varsity sports and he was interviewed twice at UBC with rejection before being rejected pre-interview at UBC two years ago and accepted at UoT. Go figure.

Oh, and they all had GPAs 88+ with one of them being at ~94-95 so that probably helps haha

2 hours ago, practically.apoptotic said:

UBC is possibly the most enigmatic when it comes to assessing ECs... from my friends who were successful on the first try, they had similar backgrounds (varsity sports, long-term healthcare-related volunteering commitments, large scholarships, and lots of experience in research environments with two out of my three friends being published before starting 4th year undergrad).

Your friends sound like those ideal candidates for med school. They seem to have it all. Such impressive and well-rounded applicants! Unfortunately, my application doesn’t come close to what they have. I have zero research experience and am definitely not part of a varsity team! As a first time and nontraditional applicant , I am curious how my ECs pan out compare to the general application pool. 

15 hours ago, WaitingTooLong said:

Hey, does anyone know if research entries that were part of the degree requirement/I received course credits are considered in AQ or NAQ? 

thanks!

As far as I know, AQ is just a straight conversion from GPA. I could definitely be wrong though.

@coviduh19, nontrad here as well :) And yes, those friends of mine were especially determined, but that's definitely not the only formula that works. Honestly I never think I'm going to make it, I'm just curious to see how they assess ECs.. there are lots of posts on here from people who have very impressive-sounding experience but end up getting lukewarm scores. I think as long as you have a solid GPA (86+ IP, 89+ OOP), anyone is fair game and it's anyone's guess how ECs are evaluated.

55 minutes ago, practically.apoptotic said:

As far as I know, AQ is just a straight conversion from GPA. I could definitely be wrong though.

@coviduh19, nontrad here as well :) And yes, those friends of mine were especially determined, but that's definitely not the only formula that works. Honestly I never think I'm going to make it, I'm just curious to see how they assess ECs.. there are lots of posts on here from people who have very impressive-sounding experience but end up getting lukewarm scores. I think as long as you have a solid GPA (86+ IP, 89+ OOP), anyone is fair game and it's anyone's guess how ECs are evaluated.

Can confirm that AQ is just a standardized way of measuring GPA, i.e. AQ is only affected by GPA. NAQ is everything that is in Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities (as far as we know)