Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

3 minutes ago, jadeemz said:

What's everyone doing to keep their mind off of this? I spent all yesterday building a computer...and today trying to set up Windows installers from a Mac...10/10 would recommend as a distraction technique

ahah that sounds fun. I've been studying for exams (had my last one today!), phoned my sister this afternoon, and did some early Christmas baking ;)

14 minutes ago, corgi321 said:

Playing lots of Cyberpunk 

Might be a bit of a left field one but FIFA 21 for me lol. And probably gonna get back into the gym, been skipping for a week.

Moral of the story: just do what you would normally do in life to 'distract' you. Life is bigger than this application cycle. And I say that as someone who has accepted that the chances of me getting an invite this cycle are low, not just as someone who thinks of themselves as a shoo-in

2 hours ago, jadeemz said:

What's everyone doing to keep their mind off of this? I spent all yesterday building a computer...and today trying to set up Windows installers from a Mac...10/10 would recommend as a distraction technique

I build jigsaw puzzles (1000 pieces nearly everyday) and watch Game of Thrones since I never saw it. It's just nice to be done with the semester and breathe.

What a wholesome post! :) I work as a nurse, & other than that I've been hitting the gym, playing with my dog, and stress baking (you would not believe how many shortbread cookies I have made ((and eaten))  in the last few days......)

I’ve been studying for my last final which is tomorrow!!! and wrapping Christmas presents! I’ll probably start baking cookies tomorrow when I have more time.

5 minutes ago, Raisin Bran said:

These posts make everyone seem so human ^_^ such a nice change from the typical “pre-med” perception. I’ve been doing lots of Yoga With Adriene! 

I feel like this is exactly what UBC wants to know from our ECs, that we are not robots trained only for practicing medicine but we have our own passions and lifes outside of pre-med activities. 

Just now, 24KaratPureAu said:

I feel like this is exactly what UBC wants to know from our ECs, that we are not robots trained only for practicing medicine but we have our own passions and lifes outside of pre-med activities. 

Hopefully we get some news tomorrow. The notification of them doing maintenance in the early morning makes me think they might be getting OAS primed to send out notifications tomorrow

5 minutes ago, 24KaratPureAu said:

The best is yet to come. I envy you (as I finished all seasons already). I also envy young children who just discovered the Marvel Universe for the first time. 

I just saw some videos of people reacting to endgame in theatres and it made me sad because I’ll never be able to experience that movie for the first time ever again :(

4 hours ago, Raisin Bran said:

These posts make everyone seem so human ^_^ such a nice change from the typical “pre-med” perception. I’ve been doing lots of Yoga With Adriene! 

I agree!

I think what bothers me most about medical school applications is that the vast majority of applicants would make great doctors. I attended a zoom call that U of C med hosted this summer, and the Dean of Admissions said something to this effect: "If you have successfully submitted an application that has gone for review, congratulations -- you are already amongst the top 10% of your peers."

On that note, I hope we all get to be colleagues one day ^_^