Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 17, 2020; 1:16 PM PST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 92.6%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 130/131/126/129 (516)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP

E/Cs: no research, lots of volunteering for community building youth groups in underserved neighbourhoods, one year of volunteering in Israel, some casual music playing, love to fish, soccer. 

Just recently woke up and got the email while eating my eggs! :) 

Good luck everyone!

1 minute ago, TonyClifton said:

It's a matter of spots being filled up first-come first-served so I think they will send the regular invites all at once.

Actually it isn't! Early applicants have no advantage over regular applicants. The time at which you apply does not affect your chances of an invite. Although this is NOT the case in the USA

1 minute ago, PeanutButter1 said:

I didn’t apply last year but for the two years previous that I got regrets, it was after 3 PM. I figured they just didn’t want a bunch of people calling so they did it post-work hours. Perhaps it’ll be later in the day?

Yeah every year I've applied regrets have always been the first thing to go out. Last year they went out early too - 1:30PM PST IIRC

Hi all, 

I wanted to dip in here and say good luck to everyone this cycle <3 I was accepted last year and just finished my final exams for this term. I remember how nervy i was this time last year so just wanted to send good vibes (esp during all these weird covid changes and delays). You got this!!! 

1 minute ago, ImReadyNextCycle said:

Would early applicants receive rejection before regular applicants too? I don't care about invite anymore lol just want to end this soon. 

Congrats everyone receiving the invite!

Last year, all rejections came out first on the same day (I was early app and probably got it a few hours earlier than regular?), so I would assume all rejections are still the same day but just after all the invites?? 

1 minute ago, nothingbutmed said:

Actually it isn't! Early applicants have no advantage over regular applicants. The time at which you apply does not affect your chances of an invite. Although this is NOT the case in the USA

Hmm I thought applying early gives you an advantage on picking what time spot you like for the interview. I didn't mean that early applicants have a higher chance of getting an invite, but meant in terms of picking what time slot you would like for the interview. That's how I assumed it is.

Just now, TonyClifton said:

Hmm I thought applying early gives you an advantage on picking what time spot you like for the interview. I didn't mean that early applicants have a higher chance of getting an invite, but meant in terms of picking what time slot you would like for the interview. That's how I assumed it is.

Yes, sorry you're right! I thought you were talking about evaluations, my bad!

Just now, smolandfeisty said:

I notice on the blog they state "For those of you who received letters of regret this year": has anyone received a regrets email/notification on OAS yet? Or is this preemptive? 

I actually read this twice (CARS skill activated LOL) and I am just wondering if rejections were sent out too (but it doesn't make sense since UBC doesn't usually send out rejections and invites concurrently). 

1 minute ago, smolandfeisty said:

I notice on the blog they state "For those of you who received letters of regret this year": has anyone received a regrets email/notification on OAS yet? Or is this preemptive? 

Must be preemptive - even those of us who applied early and haven't heard yet haven't actually received regrets. Looks like regrets will potentially just be a huge dump throughout next week

8 minutes ago, LemonBird said:

Last year, all rejections came out first on the same day (I was early app and probably got it a few hours earlier than regular?), so I would assume all rejections are still the same day but just after all the invites?? 

Thanks! I hope they're not sending regrets as late as 24th... What a present

1 hour ago, PreMed#219099 said:

unpopular opinion but I have a creeping feeling there'll be another wave of early invites today

this could be a defence mechanism on my part though lool

has this^ ever happened before for early invites (i.e. multiple waves?)

edit: don't know why this posted twice

Edited by PreMed#219099