Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

15 minutes ago, ubcstudent said:

Technically, they can send regrets tomorrow and leave regular invites to the last. 

Actually I don't think they can because they specifically say that early invites will come out one day before regular invites. If they don't send them tomorrow, then early applicants would have a 3-4 day advantage to book their interview if they wait until monday. Anything is possible though! 

31 minutes ago, nothingbutmed said:

Actually I don't think they can because they specifically say that early invites will come out one day before regular invites. If they don't send them tomorrow, then early applicants would have a 3-4 day advantage to book their interview if they wait until monday. Anything is possible though! 

True, imagine if they just said after tomorrow that if you haven't gotten an email yet, you won't be receiving an invite this year.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 17, 2020; 16:16 PM EST

Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): I’m not sure? 3.93 OMSAS

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 128/127/129/130 (514) 

Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP

ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): several paid research work terms, including an international research work term, medical device company work term, couple research conferences, pending pubs, medical volunteer trip, engineering design team, hospital volunteer, other music related ecs 

Completely shocked! Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: clearly I don’t know how to use this form and copy/paste my bad im a newbie :-)

15 minutes ago, goodVibesOnly said:
Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 17, 2020; 16:16 PM EST

Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): I’m not sure? 3.93 OMSAS

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 128/127/129/130 (514) 

Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP

ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): several paid research work terms, including an international research work term, medical device company work term, couple research conferences, pending pubs, medical volunteer trip, engineering design team, hospital volunteer, other music related ecs 

Completely shocked! Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: clearly I don’t know how to use this form and copy/paste my bad im a newbie :-)

ha, and well ahem - there is a reason we follow this format and just move discussion to another place. Helps people with analysis and keeps things on track. 

1 minute ago, idkmed said:

I am confused now. I am OOP Early Applicant and still haven't heard anything? How is there rejections now happening but I still haven't heard back??

Either there's going to be another wave of early invites sometime tonight (unlikely in my opinion), or you will be receiving a rejection sometime soon. Will it be tonight, tomorrow, or next week? = your guess is as good as mine

1 hour ago, marsaturn20 said:

I actually read this twice (CARS skill activated LOL) and I am just wondering if rejections were sent out too (but it doesn't make sense since UBC doesn't usually send out rejections and invites concurrently). 

not to say that I know - but schools do change the approach,  and admin systems all the time. What they did in the past may not matter a lot. Systems - even bad systems - can be reassuring, and when they change there is pain. We over analyze everything of course which doesn't make it any better. 

1 minute ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Either there's going to be another wave of early invites sometime tonight (unlikely in my opinion), or you will be receiving a rejection sometime soon. Will it be tonight, tomorrow, or next week? = your guess is as good as mine

Yeah I would agree - this is yet another one of those we are stuck waiting situations. 

1 minute ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

I applied early and didn't hear anything yet (OOP). I think that means that we're not getting an invite if we don't hear today. What a wild system.

1 minute ago, WizardPalace said:

I applied early and didn't hear anything yet (OOP). I think that means that we're not getting an invite if we don't hear today. What a wild system.

I have resigned myself to this possibility as well (IP early applicant), but I just find it weird that UBC would make us wait for our TFR results and such. The cat's out of the bag, as it were - since we're early applicants and we didn't hear back today (i.e. the day that early applicants heard back), we already know we've been rejected. Seems weird to not just tell us right now, or tonight

2 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

I have resigned myself to this possibility as well (IP early applicant), but I just find it weird that UBC would make us wait for our TFR results and such. The cat's out of the bag, as it were - since we're early applicants and we didn't hear back today (i.e. the day that early applicants heard back), we already know we've been rejected. Seems weird to not just tell us right now, or tonight

In the past there has been a 5:30 pm wave, I'm predicting we might get one tonight?

Just now, Ss123toy said:

In the past there has been a 5:30 pm wave, I'm predicting we might get one tonight?

Hope so, just don't know what it will consist of. Rejections? Continued early invites? Specific rejections (ex. early invite rejections, OOP rejections, IP rejections, continued partial-file-review and ineligible rejections)? 

Who bloody knows lol

45 minutes ago, glglglgl said:

My theory is that because this year's interview results are released later but the interviews will still take place around the same time of the year, UBC may have sent offers first to give interviewees enough time to schedule their interview date. 

17 minutes ago, PlayerBubb7360 said:

No more theories my heart can't take it :unsure::wacko::ph34r:

Highkey doesn't even sound like "just a theory" - this is super plausible and probably indeed UBC's logic

1 minute ago, idkmed said:

Ugh, its past 5;30 PDT, il take the silence as a rejection for early apps.

Think so man. Looks like they're just not bothering to tell us our scores or anything until later. Probably because they know it doesn't matter i.e. does not impact the admission process for UBC MD 2025 class

5 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Think so man. Looks like they're just not bothering to tell us our scores or anything until later. Probably because they know it doesn't matter i.e. does not impact the admission process for UBC MD 2025 class

Hope has died a slow and painful death today. Would have been nicer to be told straight up. I wonder why they don’t send invites and rejections at the same time really.