Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

8 minutes ago, M3P0 said:

Does this mean regular (i.e. not early) applicants will hear about invites tomorrow? The whole "one day in advance" thing seems pretty important to stick to.

No one knows for sure, but I'm 95% sure that this will be the case. It would be really odd for UBC to break their own rules, especially right before a weekend which would give quite a significant advantage to early applicants in booking their interview. You can most likely expect a rejection if you don't hear back tomorrow (again, if UBC follows their rules). Best of luck! :)

5 hours ago, theonewhoknockstwice said:

I see this every year and I haven't really seen anyone respond to it, so I feel like it's worth a post. An 97% at UBC is not the same as an 97% at a university which uses the American grading system. For that matter, a percentage grade (or any numeric or alphanumeric grading scale for that matter) is almost entirely unique to a university/school. This is because the faculty and the culture embrace a certain meaning for a grade, and then mark/scale accordingly. At best, one might be able to generalize marking schemes to a country's education system (as World Education Services rather ridiculously does for their credential evaluations), but even this doesn't take into account striking differences in the way the same scale (A-F; 0-100; etc) is often used from school to school. I say this as an American who completed his university education in Canada, the U.S., and a couple other countries. The same quality of work could easily receive a 95% at a U.S. school and an 88% at a Canadian school. This is not because one is "stricter" or "more challenging" than the other--just that the use of the 0-100 scale is quite different.

Thanks for your insight! Just curious, what other countries did you do your post-secondary education in? :O 

24 minutes ago, nothingbutmed said:

No one knows for sure, but I'm 95% sure that this will be the case. It would be really odd for UBC to break their own rules, especially right before a weekend which would give quite a significant advantage to early applicants in booking their interview. You can most likely expect a rejection if you don't hear back tomorrow (again, if UBC follows their rules). Best of luck! :)

I just wonder, what is the advantage for early applicants booking 1 day in advance vs 3 days in advance? The timeslots will be filled either way when regular applicants have their turn (maybe except for a small portion of early applicants who don't have Internet today). 

Sorry I don't mean to be disrespectful in any means. Hope everyone gets the best results these two weeks. 

15 minutes ago, 24KaratPureAu said:

I just wonder, what is the advantage for early applicants booking 1 day in advance vs 3 days in advance? The timeslots will be filled either way when regular applicants have their turn (maybe except for a small portion of early applicants who don't have Internet today). 

Sorry I don't mean to be disrespectful in any means. Hope everyone gets the best results these two weeks. 

Early booking makes it easier to pick a time that fits into your other commitments (exams, work, personal activities).

11 minutes ago, 24KaratPureAu said:

No problem! Personally I don't think it's a huge advantage, but technically UBC would be going against their own policy if they sent out any invites on Monday. I guess the benefit is that early applicants have a choice of any interview date/time they want (if they book right away). Under regular circumstances, that one additional day would make it easier to book flights, hotels, etc. for potentially a lower price/better date before regular invites came out. This year, its less of a big deal but UBC shouldn't be breaking policy regardless.

3 minutes ago, M3P0 said:

Early booking makes it easier to pick a time that fits into your other commitments (exams, work, personal activities).

1 minute ago, nothingbutmed said:

No problem! Personally I don't think it's a huge advantage, but technically UBC would be going against their own policy if they sent out any invites on Monday. I guess the benefit is that early applicants have a choice of any interview date/time they want (if they book right away). Under regular circumstances, that one additional day would make it easier to book flights, hotels, etc. for potentially a lower price/better date before regular invites came out. This year, its less of a big deal but UBC shouldn't be breaking policy regardless.

Thank you for the explanations. I completely agree with both of you. It makes complete sense that if it were the normal times, people can book travel early, and if you were waiting for several other schools, you can register for dates to ensure there is no overlapping interviews. 

I just hope that we all get to see the "Interview" tab appearing in the OAS system these two weeks. I honestly will trade away all early appointment/booking privileges if I can just get invited to interview. 

36 minutes ago, goodVibesOnly said:

Hmm sorry not sure what you mean is this not the right forum? I thought we were supposed to fill in that template... 

I think they are referring to the fact we usually try to have one thread for discussion and one just for the stats - so people can easily skim and find the stats without digging through pages discussion!

12 minutes ago, goodVibesOnly said:

Ahhhh gotcha, and this is the discussion not the stats? My bad. 

@goodVibesOnly Don't worry about it :). I'm new here too -- navigating these forums and their ~etiquette~ can be a bit of a learning curve I think. Either way, I appreciate you and others posting your stats! Congrats on your invite :)

2 minutes ago, ImReadyNextCycle said:

It may be a good idea to have a separate thread for stats given this much of discussion we have already here, if anyone is interested in starting one? 

I think this is the stats thread. In past years "regrets/interviews" thread normally includes both stats and discussion and is sometimes cleaned up to only include stats after the fact. 

33 minutes ago, smolandfeisty said:

@goodVibesOnly Don't worry about it :). I'm new here too -- navigating these forums and their ~etiquette~ can be a bit of a learning curve I think. Either way, I appreciate you and others posting your stats! Congrats on your invite :)

Tyty! :) I really appreciate, I've found it very helpful to look at them for Dal and previous years as well.