Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

1 minute ago, WizardPalace said:

I remember last year the interview slots were really slow to update. So I don’t think anymore invites are coming

I experienced the exact opposite last year. When I went to book an interview last year (after about 30 mins of getting the email because I was completely in shock last year and didnt know what to do), a lot of the slots were full.

I'm gonna do some rough math here:

We have 143 members on this thread.

There were 2497 total applicants.

There were 700 interview invites.

That's a rate of 35.67%.

Therefore we would expect roughly 51 of those 143 to get invites if all applicants here were considered average. 

I think we would have more confirmations posted.

Just going to place this here for reference but this is from this morning!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 12:52PM EST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite :o regular applicant (For MD/PhD not sure if I met regular MD OOP cut off)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): Around 93/4
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 131 / 126 / 129 / 128: 514
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Research in a variety of areas, mostly unpaid (biostatistics and stats analysis for pediatric patient data, clinical research in orthopaedics, animal work for an immuno lab for the last couple years and for my thesis), hospital volunteering for 6 years, retirement home volunteering for 8, won a couple science case competitions, received ~10 academic scholarships
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 0-25th percentile (last year)
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): No invite (last year)

In my fourth year and feeling super fortunate:) Good luck to everyone and for those waiting to hear back I would not count yourself out yet! In my oas I still see 505 open spots still for interview scheduling and even if not everyone books right away, there is definitely a good number of invites to go

2 minutes ago, llandermm said:

Just going to place this here for reference but this is from this morning!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 12:52PM EST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite :o regular applicant (For MD/PhD not sure if I met regular MD OOP cut off)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): Around 93/4
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 131 / 126 / 129 / 128: 514
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Research in a variety of areas, mostly unpaid (biostatistics and stats analysis for pediatric patient data, clinical research in orthopaedics, animal work for an immuno lab for the last couple years and for my thesis), hospital volunteering for 6 years, retirement home volunteering for 8, won a couple science case competitions, received ~10 academic scholarships
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 0-25th percentile (last year)
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): No invite (last year)

In my fourth year and feeling super fortunate:) Good luck to everyone and for those waiting to hear back I would not count yourself out yet! In my oas I still see 505 open spots still for interview scheduling and even if not everyone books right away, there is definitely a good number of invites to go

Congrats! I was just wondering what your last name starts with :) Best of luck with your interview

10 minutes ago, BKin.d said:

I'm gonna do some rough math here:

We have 143 members on this thread.

There were 2497 total applicants.

There were 700 interview invites.

That's a rate of 35.67%.

Therefore we would expect roughly 51 of those 143 to get invites if all applicants here were considered average. 

I think we would have more confirmations posted.

Just a slight correction: there were 2869 applicants so the percent invited is ~24%

1 minute ago, duke8 said:

I received an interview invite this morning (in province, regular deadline applicant).

This pre med journey has been full of so many ups and downs. I’m just enjoying the moment.

Thanks everyone. As much as premed 101 can stress me out, it sure is nice to have a community of people going through this together :)

Congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing your time stamp and the first letter of your last name? :)

Hey hey, this is a stressful day for everyone, no need to be hostile, and let's all be understandable of people feeling down and wanting to rant. 

I think looking at the interim stats posted by UBC, just like last few years, % of invite for IP is roughly 10%. Just eyeballing, there are more than 10% people getting invites on this forum. But this is just a forum, like people pointed out previously, not everyone look at the forum, and people are more likely to post if they got invites (I did not get one last year and felt sad and did not want to post), hence the higher % observed here. 

Congrats to everyone who got an invite, but let's not make this more stressful for people who didn't hear anything yet. Stay hopeful, there are still 4 more hours till UBC closes, fingers crossed for everyone!!

Omg OMG OMG i got an invite!!!!!!!! Just now p

* crying right now. Will update stats later 

update:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 12:58 PM PST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regular Invite 
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): Around 85-87% 
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 520 (126 CARS)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):

international student until I became a citizen recently. Learnt english at age 14. Research (with first author publications), many hours of volunteering, no notable awards, no high performance entries,  however I tried my best to tell who I really am as a person and my passion through my NAQ entries. I guess it worked out. 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): N/A
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): N/A

People make bad choices, things might not always be fair, and there will always be toxic people around you. But that is okay, you just gotta believe in yourself and give it your best shot. 

3 minutes ago, LemonBird said:

Hey hey, this is a stressful day for everyone, no need to be hostile, and let's all be understandable of people feeling down and wanting to rant. 

I think looking at the interim stats posted by UBC, just like last few years, % of invite for IP is roughly 10%. Just eyeballing, there are more than 10% people getting invites on this forum. But this is just a forum, like people pointed out previously, not everyone look at the forum, and people are more likely to post if they got invites (I did not get one last year and felt sad and did not want to post), hence the higher % observed here. 

Congrats to everyone who got an invite, but let's not make this more stressful for people who didn't hear anything yet. Stay hopeful, there are still 4 more hours till UBC closes, fingers crossed for everyone!!

IP invite is close to 40% (610/1547)