Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just gonna leave this here...have fun inputting every data point into Excel, UBC

Posted Images

OMGGGGG I just got an invite!!! I can't believe this!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 2:15 PM (PST)
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite (Regular Deadline)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): AGPA ~81
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 511 (131/124/129/127)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Lots of long-term commitments. Really followed my passion and given that I am non-traditional, I have a lot of work experiences. No research experience.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): First time applicant
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): Invited :) 

Congratulations to those who were invited and to those who sadly got an R today, I know this is the news that no one wants to receive, but I know you are all amazing applicants and I wish you all the best on your other applications (I hope you all get invited to multiple schools especially the Ontario ones). 

Edited by marsaturn20
I just want to share my Stats

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 12:57 PM (PST)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): AGPA ~86
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 510 (130/127/125/128)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): long-term volunteering with diverse groups, sports coach/team member, few research positions (no pubs), committee lead/member of non-profit, some hobbies 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): Last year - 25th-50th percentile
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): Last year - was close to IP cutoff

Feeling very grateful for getting the chance to be interviewed this cycle. Truly wish everyone all the best! :) 

(Last name between F-I, seems like the last wave has been sent out! )

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 5:14 PM (EST)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): GPA ~91
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 520 (130/131/130/129)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): NSERC USRA with a first author paper, quite a bit of employment during school year, co-op year in industry, and volunteering in a few places. 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): N/A
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): N/A

Last name starts with W.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 2:14 (PST)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): AGPA ~86 (from last year)
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 129/128/132/131 (520)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Diverse commitments but no research
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75-100 (from last year)
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): Well above cut-off last year, rejected post-interview

Last name: S 

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview! Excited to see how the process will change compared to last year's interviews. 

IP, invite at 2:14PM.

Relieved. Got an interview and was waitlisted last year before being painfully cut loose. Year before that I was rejected with no interview. Cautiously hopeful this year. A bit of a non-traditional applicant. Electrical Engineering BASC from UBC, currently working as a project manager in a Process engineering/automation/robotics role.

Congratulations to all received, hang in there to all not. For me, it has gotten easier each year to settle with the idea of never getting in. Just try to enjoy life and find fulfillment where you are. It may not happen for you (or me), but we aren't defined by this potential profession. There is much more to life (and more important things) than becoming a doctor.

Congratulations to everyone who got an invite!! I am so happy for you all :) I have a late alphabet last name so I've pretty much been rejected at this point. On the bright side, I'm still in 3rd year so I'm excited to have a good final year of undergrad (hopefully with less COVID!). Plus I'm interested to see my NAQ score. If you got rejected too, keep your head up! We will make it to the other side eventually! Best of luck for interviews everyone!!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 2:14 PM (PST)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): GPA 89-90
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 510 (130/126/128/126)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): My ECs are extremely research heavy. I have research-focused MSc from UBC and already started working for more than a year in a pharmaceutical company. One 1st author and one 2nd author papers, multiple co-authored papers. Some poster presentations in national and international conferences. Many awards. Volunteering experience is my weakest. I volunteered in a thrift store for 2 years (just ~200 hours) and am a volutneer responder in a crisis helpline. Also doing some volutneer work for sick kids right now. Overall, my volunteer hours are definitely not as high as others but I guess my research experience has saved me. This is my 1st try at UBC and blessed to be invited.  
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): N/A
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): N/A

Last name Z.