Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

Just got. A regrets email. Will post NAQ stats when I can get into OAS (now they have removed the application status tab) but here’s the rest:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 4:46 pm (PST)
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 84.6 agpa 
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 511
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs: pretty diverse, some long-terms, hobbies, adversity, strong job experiences 

was expecting a regret of course as the day went on. Surprised that they bothered to contact 12+ verifiers and contact me for clarification on my application only to reject, but I guess that’s the process. Good luck to everyone! 

49 minutes ago, corgi321 said:

Finally got onto OAS and it says Regrets (OOP)

aGPA = 87.02%

NAQ = 75-100th percentile 

Similar results for me!

regrets (OOP)

oGPA : 89.8 (haven’t graduated yet so ineligible for aGPA)

NAQ : 75-100th percentile 

it’s my first year applying so I kind of expected it :/ good luck to all those who got an invite and I hope to see the rest of you again next cycle :)

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 5:44PM
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Reject
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 88%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 512
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP

And I can't check anything because OAS portal disappeared on me :(

there is no status to check lol

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 18, 7:34pm EST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 87.23%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 514 (130/128/128/128)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No publication, several research volunteers, within 200 hour hospital volunteers, several club executives that has longer time, crisis line volunteer for more than 1 year, hobbies. Prettys tandard I think
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):
said 25%-49.99% (updated)
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 47 (IP cut-off 53, OOP cut-off 63)

Sorry to post late! I know that I dug through all of these from previous years looking for successful RNs when I was thinking about starting the journey so maybe I can help encourage another nurse to go for it :) 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 2:14PM (PST)
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite (Regular Deadline)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): AGPA 90-91% 
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (129/129/130/130)
ECs: 

• Rural applicant: About a year working as an RN in a remote hospital, two months experience at a northern nursing station, generic rural ECs like camping, hiking, etc. 
  • Work experience: Two years as an ER/critical care transport RN, four years at a coffee shop during my undergrad including a year as a supervisor, tutoring undergrad nurses, various other nursing-affiliated odd jobs 
  • Research: No publications - one poster presentation in my undergrad, another (like 3rd author though) after I audited a psych course last year, now volunteering as an RA for a quality improvement project 
  • Volunteering/other: Volunteering as an RN with people experiencing homelessness, presenter for high school students to discourage risky behaviours, advocacy and simulation work with the health authority for new graduate nurses, nurse lead at my ER for Code Blue protocol modifications for Covid, club exec in my undergrad, and statistical analysis for a trauma unit to advocate for staffing needs. I also added two things from high school even though it was ages ago and my D&D group! 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): N/A (first time applicant)
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 

Huge congratulations to everyone who got interviews and hugs to those of you who are still waiting! 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 18, 6:45 pm EST (MD/PhD reject) and 7:21 pm EST (MD reject)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 86.5%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (131/126/130/131)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): Early applicant, IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No publication as of June 1st but 3 publications after June (it's mentioned in the research activity description), finished M.Sc., several awards + grant, ~150 hours hospital volunteers, long-term club president & senior advisor, intramural sports team captain, hobbies and other passions. 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): Last year 50-75th, with my aGPA, I need to be at least in this range again to be invited. So, I guess it wasn't my turn this year. 
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): (Update later, OAS application stats tab disappeared)

posting again with updated results:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 18, 5:24 pm MST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable):
89.8% oGPA (ineligible for aGPA)
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 510(127/128/129/126)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): biology essay published in school’s journal, tons of volunteer experience (local science center, hospital, school volunteering), leadership ambassador for my university, worked summer camps at science center, lots of music and theatre hobby experience. A bunch of academic scholarships
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75th-100th
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): can’t see the number cause of OAS being down but based on the picture I took, I’ll estimate around 45-50

feeling hopeful for next year since I’m a first time applicant (in fourth year) and I’ve got some research experience during my last year of undergrad (which I couldn’t add to my application). Good luck to you all! :)

I'm in 3rd year so can't be too disappointed but kind of expected better

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time):  Dec 18 (4:34pm PST)
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets (Early Deadline)
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): oGPA 91% (not eligible for aGPA)
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 521 (131/127/132/131)
ECs: 

• National health research council
  • 2 years of studentship-funded research (pending pubs)
  • Student council
  • Lots of music ECs
  • Clinical volunteer experience

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75-100th

Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): right at 53, must have just been lower in the pile :(

Yup, it's a mistake. Just got the email.

"There is currently an issue with the information that is displaying on the Application Status page. We are working with the application system developers to fix this issue. In the mean time, you will not be able to access the Application Status page. We look forward to updating you with more information next week.

All application status notifications that have been distributed are correct.

If you are uncertain if you received an application status notification you can check your Communication History in the Communication tab.

If you have not received an application status notification, you will receive one prior to December 24, 2020."

2 hours ago, nothingbutmed said:

Are you sure it wasn't 10:42am? Otherwise you were the very first applicant to get an interview 

2 hours ago, ubcmedxx said:

Congratulations! I'm curious when you heard back about MD/Phd - was it a little after your MD interview invite? I applied for MD/PhD but haven't heard about the status of that invitation. 

I heard about an hour after I got the med invite - I got an email.