Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

6 minutes ago, PeanutButter1 said:

So is that scale correct even if the “75-95th” isn’t true? I’ve never applied when they had the scale, just went they gave you an absolute TFR. 

trying to figure out what “my result” means. Is this where that inspect tool comes in?

5CA7F54B-A4F6-463B-A4E8-65DAC8B5BFBA.png

I am not sure, but I think there is a mistake everywhere. If the program thinks that everyone got in the 75th-100th percentile then that would have skewed the results further to the left. 

19 minutes ago, bekind said:

what :unsure:

I had a 92. percent and NAQ 75-100 but my slider thing is wayyyy to the left :(

I have this too, using the application status link posted previously in this thread. My overall score is like 26 (through inspect element), which would only account for my GPA (~87). I'm pretty sure it's bugged to hell right now lol, and not including our NAQ in the slider thing. My NAQ also says 75-100 percentile lol

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 4:34 PM PST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 92%/4.0
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 525 (131/130/132/132)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No clinical experience (except First Responder in high school), not much research (just did independent research project on science education), some leadership positions in clubs (mental health organization, global health clubs, career planning services, etc.), peer mentor in first-year physics, co-founder of organization targeting youth, some instruments/other hobbies & some high school stuff so overall not very exciting
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 0-25th percentile
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 50/53

Edited by liviris

11 minutes ago, liviris said:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 4:34 PM PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 92%/4.0
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 525 (131/130/132/132)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No clinical experience (except First Responder in high school), not much research (just did independent research project on science education), some leadership positions in clubs (mental health organization, global health clubs, career planning services, etc.), peer mentor in first-year physics, co-founder of organization targeting youth, some instruments/other hobbies & some high school stuff so overall not very exciting
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 

Sorry :( sounds like you have great stats. 

4 minutes ago, PeanutButter1 said:

Sorry :( sounds like you have great stats.

Sigh guess it isn't good enough to make up for my lack of significant EC's... but it's alright we can always try again next year! Although I suspect I probably won't be seeing much change in my marks since it's hard to get involved during covid times :unsure:

10 minutes ago, liviris said:

Sigh guess it isn't good enough to make up for my lack of significant EC's... but it's alright we can always try again next year! Although I suspect I probably won't be seeing much change in my marks since it's hard to get involved during covid times :unsure:

There’s stuff that requires online work only! Try to look for that stuff. I was successful in finding opportunities like that this year. Good luck :) 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 2:14 PM PST

Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 86.7 - AGPA

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 508 (129/124/128/127)

Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP (current master student graduated bachelor in spring 2020)

ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): cheerleading provincial championship medal. Student group grant for a private event. Academic scholarships x 2, Creativity award for art exhibition (500), Oral Presentation at internationally recognized conference, Designing a course with supervisor, Training research assistants, Mentor to peers, interviewing seniors, founder and president of an MS club, advocacy through social media, Seniors Housing Community Service, volunteering and doing research in a multicultural lab, developing a campaigning video for raising awareness for MS, teaching youth of Indian descent during summer camp,  Photojournalist to interview individuals of diverse backgrounds, Researching the impact of COVID-19 in Canada, Mental Health Speaker, winning an award for the best Oral Presentation at a departmental conference, having undergone plastic surgery for health reasons, talked about a failed campaigning experience and what it taught me, talked about my blog where I discuss life experiences and coop with stress, discussed my love for my culture, my immigration experiences, talked about my experience speaking at the PS752 plane crash memorial (viewed nationally and internationally) about losing my friends, freelance artist (muralist, graphic designer, clothing designer, art teacher, installation artist, make up artist, sculptor), 2 cashier/fast food jobs, 2 sales jobs, medical transcriptionist, swim instructor, bottle depot sorter, graduate research assistant.

Also filled out the Rural section.

TL/DR: lots of employment. Lots of research, filled out all the awards (made my awards a diverse range of academic and non academic things), filled out all the EC options. Displayed lots of reflection within my description and almost told a story about who I am as an individual. Made myself standout the way I believed I stood out among other individuals.

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): dont know! Can someone tell me where to look??

Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): help!!^

9 minutes ago, sighIhateithere said:

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 86.7 - AGPA

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 508 (129/124/128/127)

Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP (current master student graduated bachelor in spring 2020)

ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): cheerleading provincial championship medal. Student group grant for a private event. Academic scholarships x 2, Creativity award for art exhibition (500), Oral Presentation at internationally recognized conference, Designing a course with supervisor, Training research assistants, Mentor to peers, interviewing seniors, founder and president of an MS club, advocacy through social media, Seniors Housing Community Service, volunteering and doing research in a multicultural lab, developing a campaigning video for raising awareness for MS, teaching youth of Indian descent during summer camp,  Photojournalist to interview individuals of diverse backgrounds, Researching the impact of COVID-19 in Canada, Mental Health Speaker, winning an award for the best Oral Presentation at a departmental conference, having undergone plastic surgery for health reasons, talked about a failed campaigning experience and what it taught me, talked about my blog where I discuss life experiences and coop with stress, discussed my love for my culture, my immigration experiences, talked about my experience speaking at the PS752 plane crash memorial (viewed nationally and internationally) about losing my friends, freelance artist (muralist, graphic designer, clothing designer, art teacher, installation artist, make up artist, sculptor), 2 cashier/fast food jobs, 2 sales jobs, medical transcriptionist, swim instructor, bottle depot sorter, graduate research assistant.

Also filled out the Rural section.

TL/DR: lots of employment. Lots of research, filled out all the awards (made my awards a diverse range of academic and non academic things), filled out all the EC options. Displayed lots of reflection within my description and almost told a story about who I am as an individual. Made myself standout the way I believed I stood out among other individuals.

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): dont know! Can someone tell me where to look??

Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): help!!^

You don't get an NAQ or overall result score if you get an interview :) congratulations!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 15:23 AST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 91.46 (US studies, 4.0)
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 519 (131/128/129/131)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Decent Research, decent Awards, unique employment experience, mature applicant, BC ties and former BC residency, extensive rural background across Canada and Alaska. Some volunteering but pretty meager there, some paid work as multicultural student advocate, no clinical experience. 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): Says 75-100, looks like 60th percentile on the slider though.
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): Sandwiched between the IP and OOP interview cut off, skewed to the right. 

Congratulations to all who have made the cut off. For the others... just remember that « failure » doesn’t define you. Most of us are well qualified, but it’s just that competitive. Good luck in the future and with your other apps!

After 2 years of regrets, it gives me so much joy to finally receive an invite (1st time my CARS didn't meet the cut-off so I was ineligible and second year I didn't meet the TFR cut-off).

Time Stamp: 2:14 PST

Result: Invite

GPA/AGPA: ~85%

MCAT: 507 

Geography: IP

ECs: Diverse work experience (editor for school newspaper, 4-5 years of paid and volunteer research experience in various fields & worked as an MOA for a dental and vaccination clinic). Presented at conferences including 1 international, with 2 papers in the process of being published. Volunteered for 10+ years with my church, organized multiple galas raising $65k+, overcame a health issue, finished the Honours and co-op program, and received several leadership awards. Mentored first year science students as well as younger children and worked with the marginalized and elderly population. Also listed some of my hobbies such as cooking, gardening, and gaming (yes gaming is not necessarily a bad thing). 

NAQ range: last year I was in the 50-75th percentile so this year I must be in the 75th-100th percentile because my grades didn't change that much due to that spring 2020 policy. 

I just want to give a big pat on the back to everyone here. It's not easy applying to med, and it's not easy living through a pandemic in general. Whether you got an interview or not you should be proud of yourself for taking the steps to achieve this. Be kind to yourself.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 10:17am PST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 86
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 516 (128/128/129/131)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Above average - 75-100th percentile last year 

A day late but wanted to add my stats and send out my encouragement to everyone who got regrets this year to keep trying! Last year I did not receive a single interview in the 2019/2020 cycle. This cycle I have already received three! So keep your heads up cause your year will come <3. 

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 89 last year but likely higher with the AGPA this year
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 519 (130/130/129/130)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No research, mostly academic and volunteering awards, lots of employment ranging from food service, supervising summer camps, working as a tutor and teaching assistant, as well as volunteer work teaching dance, mentoring children and working with international students. Overall quite a variety of activities ranging from shorter to long term commitments. 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):  Last year I fell into the 0th-25th percentile!!! So don't be discouraged, a lot can change in a year.