Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

On 12/18/2020 at 6:02 PM, PeanutButter1 said:

There’s stuff that requires online work only! Try to look for that stuff. I was successful in finding opportunities like that this year. Good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I am honestly a bit unsure as to what to do, because my current extracurriculars keep me pretty occupied at the moment... If I take on more commitments, I may have to drop some commitments that I have been doing for a long time and that I enjoy, which I am not sure will hurt my application more? 

15 hours ago, liviris said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I am honestly a bit unsure as to what to do, because my current extracurriculars keep me pretty occupied at the moment... If I take on more commitments, I may have to drop some commitments that I have been doing for a long time and that I enjoy, which I am not sure will hurt my application more? 

One thing that worked for me personally was that I really focused on how I wrote my activities. It’s landed me 3 interviews (and here’s hoping the third works out). No guarantees it will have any impact but something to consider going forward. 

I know how frustrating it is when you have a lot on your plate and you feel like taking on more won’t make a difference. Ultimately it is up to you on what you think is best, good luck! 

5 hours ago, mdpwns1763 said:

One thing that worked for me personally was that I really focused on how I wrote my activities. It’s landed me 3 interviews (and here’s hoping the third works out). No guarantees it will have any impact but something to consider going forward. 

I know how frustrating it is when you have a lot on your plate and you feel like taking on more won’t make a difference. Ultimately it is up to you on what you think is best, good luck! 

Thank you for the suggestions!! I would admit my application was put together pretty last minute and I only got maybe 2 people to look it over, so that might be one reason why. I also don't have much clinical/research experience, which I should probably get more of before the next application cycle... 

4 hours ago, liviris said:

Thank you for the suggestions!! I would admit my application was put together pretty last minute and I only got maybe 2 people to look it over, so that might be one reason why. I also don't have much clinical/research experience, which I should probably get more of before the next application cycle... 

Honestly it’s such a black box in terms of what gets you an interview, let alone in. I left the research part blank.

yeah definitely if you can afford the extra time to review your app it might help! 

Not sure if this has been answered or is a dumb question; but this is about the  winter grades that don't count because of covid. Let's say I graduate with 4 years (120 credits), I will have my 15 credits removed from winter 2020, do the other 15 removed credits all come from the worst term of my worst year, or are they the worst 15 credits of my worst year? 

50 minutes ago, dancefloorparty said:

Not sure if this has been answered or is a dumb question; but this is about the  winter grades that don't count because of covid. Let's say I graduate with 4 years (120 credits), I will have my 15 credits removed from winter 2020, do the other 15 removed credits all come from the worst term of my worst year, or are they the worst 15 credits of my worst year? 

worst credits of your worst year

For anyone asking about the application status tab it’s because UBC messed up people’s sliders and gave everyone an NAQ of 75-100 so they took it down to fix everything

With that being said, I’m guessing it should be up today? Since they said everything will be done by the 24th and I’m guessing the office is closed tomorrow

1 hour ago, corgi321 said:

For anyone asking about the application status tab it’s because UBC messed up people’s sliders and gave everyone an NAQ of 75-100 so they took it down to fix everything

With that being said, I’m guessing it should be up today? Since they said everything will be done by the 24th and I’m guessing the office is closed tomorrow

I believe it should be fixed by tonight. The website is undergoing maintenance right now (between 14:10pm and 6pm PST)

4 minutes ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

how do you see the "points"?

4 minutes ago, Jjjhsil said:

how do u see the exact points

3 minutes ago, Ubcmedapplicant101 said:

How do u know by 3 points ? Where can I check on the application status page 

https://forums.premed101.com/topic/111884-guide-to-using-inspect-elements-for-ubc-application/

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): n/a
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 85.5 AGPA
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 515 (128/131/128/128)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No research, quite a few leadership things (Residence Advisor, intramural captain, worked with a mentorship program for first years), lots of volunteering (fundraisers for various causes through different organizations, volunteering in a medical diagnostic lab, children's hospital volunteer etc.), decent work experience (getting promoted to working in the same diagnostic lab, working as a science camp teacher for a few years, tutoring, etc.). Threw in quite a few hobbies as well like travelling, skiing, piano competitions etc.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):  75-100 percentile

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): n/a
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 87.15 AGPA
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 513 (127/130/128/128)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No research, very unorthodox, I have 2 kids, family care, tons of work experience in various fields, 5 academic awards throughout my degree, national level Olympic weightlifter, experience training high performance athletes, semi professional dance company.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):  50-74.99

Cut off was 53 and my result was 53.. and that STINGS

Excited to finally post my result in this thread, albeit it's not a pleasant post. Just doing this to document it.

Timestamp: 2020/18/12 4:38PM (this was the time the rejection email got sent; was not able to see application status until today)
Result: Regrets, No Interview
GPA (ineligible for adjusted GPA): 84.16%
MCAT: 512 (127/128/126/131...can you guess my undergrad major? lol)
Geography: IP, filled rural application
ECs: moderately strong (more details quantifying the strength below); go look at my first post on the forums for some more details if interested
NAQ Range: 50th to 75th percentile
My Result: got 50, IP cutoff was 53

Based on previous years of applicants (and the AQ scale being harsher every year), I assumed my GPA translated to about 20 AQ, meaning my NAQ = My Result minus AQ = 50 - 20 = around 60th percentile. Not bad, not great, a bit below the average of accepted applicants for the past few years.

Looking forward to having my abysmal second year deleted should I choose to apply to med next year - that'll put me at around 90% adjusted GPA. That, coupled with my current NAQ strength + the improvements to NAQ that I've already been working on since before submitting this application should hopefully see me get an interview invite next year should I choose to apply!

With that, I'll be signing off from these forums for a while - it's been great talking to y'all and being a helpful voice, but I just need to do my own thing for a bit. You might see me back around and active for next app cycle, but you also might not - going to take time and think about what is actually going to be best for me and my life.

Going to conclude with something that is against the norm of what is usually said online: it is okay to give up. Medicine probably isn't the only thing that you would be happy doing as a career in life because there's just too much variety in jobs in the world for you to literally not jive with ANYTHING else. I still have medicine as quite high on my career choice list, but there are a lot of factors that may end up pushing me to pursue something else instead.

DM me if your issue is super pressing and you really need me to speak on it - it sends me an email notification that I got a message.

19 minutes ago, HappyHippo said:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): n/a
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 87.15 AGPA
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 513 (127/130/128/128)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): No research, very unorthodox, I have 2 kids, family care, tons of work experience in various fields, 5 academic awards throughout my degree, national level Olympic weightlifter, experience training high performance athletes, semi professional dance company.
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):  50-74.99

Cut off was 53 and my result was 53.. and that STINGS

So even meeting the cut off doesn't get us an interview ? That's sad 

Good luck next time