Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

20 minutes ago, Givemeapizza said:

I wonder why UBC mentioned in the email that “they would post the explanation of the results on their blog”, not sure if did that for any of the previous cycles! 

I just checked my email and my first thought was to check this forum. This part specifically stood out to me “Finally, in addition to posting the explanation of scores mentioned above, the MD Admissions Office will be updating our blog during the week of December 14th with some answers to frequently asked questions about interview decisions.”

Do you all think UBC has made changes in their evaluation? 

4 minutes ago, Coviduh19 said:

I just checked my email and my first thought was to check this forum. This part specifically stood out to me “Finally, in addition to posting the explanation of scores mentioned above, the MD Admissions Office will be updating our blog during the week of December 14th with some answers to frequently asked questions about interview decisions.”

I had the similar feeling that made changes to evaluations!

2 hours ago, Coviduh19 said:

They sent the same email last year. I would think no. 

1 minute ago, WizardPalace said:

Anyone hear how many applications there have been this year? Anyone in the program? I really don’t wanna wait till the the blog posts stats lol

We have no clue, admissions are quite separate from the UBC students. I think a lot of people are expecting there to be more applications this year due to the pandemic and the deadline extension. The number of applications seems to keep going up every cycle. Hopefully, they will post the interim statistics so you have some clarity. 

Ah! Really nervous. First time applicant. OOP with lowish GPA (~87% I think) but high MCAT so I'm hoping to get an interview because I think my chances will be better after that. If I make it past this first hurdle that is. I've been flipping back and forth between hoping I get an interview and preparing for a R.

I'm also just excited to see my NAQ score and all that.

Very nervous but also fingers crossed!!

6 minutes ago, FutureMD7 said:

I guess they're sending it all out at once this year, or not doing rejections first or something. Early OOP applicant and just got my invite!

Congratulations!! Just wanted to confirm your time stamp is 12:30 PM EST?

Do you mind sharing your stats and whether your last name initial is alphabetically earlier on? Thanks so much!

Also, does anyone know if they send out all early invites at the same time (I was also in the early application pool and have not heard anything as of yet)

Thank you!!

6 minutes ago, FutureMD7 said:

I guess they're sending it all out at once this year, or not doing rejections first or something. Early OOP applicant and just got my invite!

Wow. Thats real early. If I remember correctly in previous years they send out notifications after the work day, presumably to avoid tons of phone calls 

congrats!! 

39 minutes ago, FutureMD7 said:

12:20 PM EST
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 519

Ayyyyy yo congrats!!!!! First one on the thread. Solid stats! And solid tidbit of info for us to learn as well: looks like UBC has completely ditched the model of rejections being before invites. I guess it might be a last name thing now...does your last name start with A? Or an early letter (say, before H)?

34 minutes ago, PreMed#219099 said:

Congratulations!! Just wanted to confirm your time stamp is 12:30 PM EST?

Do you mind sharing your stats and whether your last name initial is alphabetically earlier on? Thanks so much!

Also, does anyone know if they send out all early invites at the same time (I was also in the early application pool and have not heard anything as of yet)

Thank you!!

Upvote if you're an early applicant and have heard nothing yet as well (I am one)

Just now, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Ayyyyy yo congrats!!!!! First one on the thread. Solid stats! And solid tidbit of info for us to learn as well: looks like UBC has completely ditched the model of rejections being before invites. I guess it might be a last name thing now...does your last name start with A? Or an early letter (say, before H)?

I’m guessing it’ll still be a staggered model though? Perhaps all early invites today, regular invites tmr etc etc. Otherwise why would they give such a large window for communication. It’s always been just the one week, and now ten days ...

1 minute ago, PeanutButter1 said:

I’m guessing it’ll still be a staggered model though? Perhaps all early invites today, regular invites tmr etc etc. Otherwise why would they give such a large window for communication. It’s always been just the one week, and now ten days ...

I wonder if early invites will be over multiple days (and likewise for regular invites and then rejections) to account for the span of 10 days to hear back

1 minute ago, PeanutButter1 said:

If it's staggered wouldn't that be unfair? Like those who were lucky to receive an earlier invite (but didn't apply early) would get to choose their interview date first. I don't think they would do that, in my opinion. Maybe staggered rejections but not invites

6 minutes ago, Alysse212 said:

If it's staggered wouldn't that be unfair? Like those who were lucky to receive an earlier invite (but didn't apply early) would get to choose their interview date first. I don't think they would do that, in my opinion. Maybe staggered rejections but not invites

Exactly. If early invites have been coming out for people then I think all early invites will be today

Edit: it could be that they're doing OOP early invites first? I mean, it's possible. Who knows with this process lol. Stay safe and keep sane today y'all, I'll be back later today to see what's happened/to update if I've heard back. For now though, gotta study for my exam tmo

Good luck everyoneeeeee

8 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Exactly. If early invites have been coming out for people then I think all early invites will be today

Edit: it could be that they're doing OOP early invites first? I mean, it's possible. Who knows with this process lol. Stay safe and keep sane today y'all, I'll be back later today to see what's happened/to update if I've heard back. For now though, gotta study for my exam tmo

Good luck everyoneeeeee

Good luck on your exam!! And good luck everyone