Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

56 minutes ago, PirouetteCacahuete said:

There’s nothing fair about their conversions but it is what it is. I’m in the US and an A+ is  a 97+... and A is 90% at least, sometimes 92-93 depending on the professor. Which is higher than most other 4.0 scale Canadian schools that attribute A’s below a 90%.

I’m currently at a school that officially has A+ on their transcripts but professors can use whatever grading schemes they want so many don’t award + and - for simplicity, which makes it worse because I get A’s for A+ work that gives me an 87 with UBC instead of my earned 98%.... 

I’m just crossing my fingers that I don’t end up too far below the mark but their conversion system is extremely disadvantageous for some of us. 

I see this every year and I haven't really seen anyone respond to it, so I feel like it's worth a post. An 97% at UBC is not the same as an 97% at a university which uses the American grading system. For that matter, a percentage grade (or any numeric or alphanumeric grading scale for that matter) is almost entirely unique to a university/school. This is because the faculty and the culture embrace a certain meaning for a grade, and then mark/scale accordingly. At best, one might be able to generalize marking schemes to a country's education system (as World Education Services rather ridiculously does for their credential evaluations), but even this doesn't take into account striking differences in the way the same scale (A-F; 0-100; etc) is often used from school to school. I say this as an American who completed his university education in Canada, the U.S., and a couple other countries. The same quality of work could easily receive a 95% at a U.S. school and an 88% at a Canadian school. This is not because one is "stricter" or "more challenging" than the other--just that the use of the 0-100 scale is quite different.

Just now, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Could be, however I have 2 irl friends who have shown me their interview offer they received minutes ago. It is real. Idk how to prove it to you but I don't have a track record of trolling on these forums lol

anyone who follows these threads has to know youre trustworthy. any idea what your friends stats were? 

2 minutes ago, ubcstudent said:

Did they submit before the early deadline?

Yes, early invites do indeed appear to be today. Just seems odd that, of the sample size we have hear on these forums of early applicants, only one has received an invite. Either it's multiple waves of early invites (seems like an odd policy if UBC does do that, because some applicants get first priority for booking an interview), or we simply pulled out a sample of early applicants that is indeed filled with people getting rejections. Both plausible, with unfortunately the latter looking more likely at the moment.

It also does not appear to be by last name - both of my friends have last names in the mid range of the alphabet

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 17, 2020; 13:16
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Invite
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 88.9
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 129/126/129/127 (511)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Solid volunteer work incl. empathetic work in long term care and end of life, and diversity of experience incl. martial arts and music competitively, many other hobbies, not much research, no presentations. Also about a year experience as an RN.

Super hyped after a regrets last year!

Sending good vibes to everyone!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): December 17, 2020; 16:16 PM EST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): (i have no idea how the UBC calculation works, but on OMSAS it's 3.98)
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 130/129/130/132 (521)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):
 volunteer/paid research (no actual publications though), 3 years of sports, cat fostering, hospital volunteer, international volunteering, lots of LGBT advocacy work, military, some national level sports and neuroscience competition, one international sport competition.

AaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAaaaaaaaaaa :O :O :O I am still shocked

(just wondering does any one know if there's going to be a writing station?)

4 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): (i have no idea how the UBC calculation works, but on OMSAS it's 3.98)
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 130/129/130/132 (521)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):
 volunteer/paid research (no actual publications though), 3 years of sports, cat fostering, hospital volunteer, international volunteering, lots of LGBT advocacy work, military, some national level sports and neuroscience competition, one international sport competition.

From the admissions blog, yes, there will be a writing section on the OAS! Congratulations on your interview!

5 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

UBC had a written station last year too, so I'm assuming yes this year also. But not sure how it's going to be carried out, maybe a typing station instead??