Premed 101 Forums

Nigerian International medical student at uoft asks for $92,000 on Gofundme (currently at $124,000)

1 hour ago, blah1234 said:

Yea, I would be surprised if the school was proactive regarding this as it's still years away in their eyes.

I would be surprised if she hadn't already started this process(?) - the MD she is earning would also be a valuable asset in such an application (not to mention the prior work she had to have done). 

13 hours ago, rmorelan said:

I would be surprised if she hadn't already started this process(?) - the MD she is earning would also be a valuable asset in such an application (not to mention the prior work she had to have done). 

Converting a student visa to PR isn't hard in theory but it does require Canadian work experience. She'll probably won't be able to get enough work experience as a medical student so she will need to take time off after the completion of her medical degree to get a research position that will help her qualify for PR before she can apply to CaRMS.

I know that international students who come here for MBA programs have no trouble getting their PR because they can find work right after their degree with a PGWP but in medicine you are gated by your need for a PR or citizenship.

I will admit that I don't know her background well and I am basing this all off the one-liner that she is on a student visa. She could very well be in the process of being a PR.

I only bring up this concern because I remember hearing about similar trouble with an international student when I was in medical school in the past and the school wasn't forward thinking about this hurdle.

14 minutes ago, blah1234 said:

Converting a student visa to PR isn't hard in theory but it does require Canadian work experience. She'll probably won't be able to get enough work experience as a medical student so she will need to take time off after the completion of her medical degree to get a research position that will help her qualify for PR before she can apply to CaRMS.

I know that international students who come here for MBA programs have no trouble getting their PR because they can find work right after their degree with a PGWP but in medicine you are gated by your need for a PR or citizenship.

I will admit that I don't know her background well and I am basing this all off the one-liner that she is on a student visa. She could very well be in the process of being a PR.

I only bring up this concern because I remember hearing about similar trouble with an international student when I was in medical school in the past and the school wasn't forward thinking about this hurdle.

Agreed, the main way i see forward is if her parents are already in the process of having applied for PR, and she would be considered a dependent with them.    

Otherwise, I don't see a realistic way forward on her own, as generally most pathways to PR require NOC specified work experience, and it is very unlikely she would be able to get that during medical school (if she would be basing her application for PR on her undergraduate degree prior to her MD, assuming she completed a bachelors degree and didn't enter into MD early after 3 years of a bachelors).

Tricky situation, and hope they have thought about this.  

I know of two international students who navigated this process - except they were a lot more pragmatic. One completed their bachelors, did 1 year of work experience and then was accepted as an international student at a Canadian MD. After 1 year of MD, they received PR and were able to transition to a domestic paying seat.  This was planned an executed quite well - with a lot of luck too of course, and flexibility from their program to convert their seat.