Premed 101 Forums

Do med schools change their admission requirements?

MasterDoc

While planning to do my degree I am wondering how fluid are med school admission requirements? The schools I am applying to don't have any pre-reqs and don't look at ECs and work experience. 

Should I have any concern for these metrics to change in the future? I am not planning on taking OChem, Biochem and Physics and I am not focusing on ECs as much because of the requirements. Can they change these, if so I don't want to be locked out because of it. 

Yes, they do change. It may not be every cycle and it may not happen as frequently at every school, if at all.

But you didn’t specify a particular institution. If you’re asking generally, yes, admission requirements can change.

Example: University of Montreal used to require that if your science prereqs had expired (ie they were completed a certain number of years ago), you had to retake 3 specific courses in order to be eligible to apply (1 bio, 1 physics, and 1 chem I think it was).

This policy was recently changed and no courses need to be redone anymore (as of one or two cycles ago, irrespective of covid).