Premed 101 Forums

Deleted

Hey, I’m a Canadian D2 taking CSBE this summer. My question is this: I’m definitely not in the top 5% of my class. First year grades was 79% and that’s definitely in the bottom 25% fo class. I also had to re-do a course in 1st year. Second year is going so much better thanks to COVID allowing me to readjust. 

I have heard that a great CSBE score really outweighs GPA situations like the one you have just read. Can you confirm or deny this? 

Thank you man. 

On 12/16/2020 at 10:35 PM, Vicdent said:

Hey, I’m a Canadian D2 taking CSBE this summer. My question is this: I’m definitely not in the top 5% of my class. First year grades was 79% and that’s definitely in the bottom 25% fo class. I also had to re-do a course in 1st year. Second year is going so much better thanks to COVID allowing me to readjust. 

I have heard that a great CSBE score really outweighs GPA situations like the one you have just read. Can you confirm or deny this? 

Thank you man. 

2 hours ago, Bulborb said:

So when I was applying, they were taking two 4 year MSc residents and one 7-8 year PhD candidate. But even now I don’t really understand what the PhD program entails. 

dang... thanks for this info! It sucks how so few OMFS applicants get admitted per school/year. Do you have any info on how many applicants there were to uoft for the 4 year MSc? or in general to the canadian schools? I appreciate it!

On 12/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

dang... thanks for this info! It sucks how so few OMFS applicants get admitted per school/year. Do you have any info on how many applicants there were to uoft for the 4 year MSc? or in general to the canadian schools? I appreciate it!

There is plenty of opportunity in the US. I applied with cbse 66 and top somewhere ~20/120 and an intern year. 11 interviews. 

Doing an intern year in the US shows you are willing to move and people know people in the US more than they know people in Canada generally. Calls get made, letters mean more from big names etc. 

A strong cbse and strong intern year can overcome piss poor dental school class ranks that most people on these websites would consider hopeless. 

When I externed at a canadian program, all the orthognathic was model surgery, and all the notes were hand written. Plastics repaired an ear lac while omfs repaired a lip on the same pt.  

At a US program you will have epic (ehr, electronic notes), you will see more trauma and way crazier shit (at most programs, a few dont even do midface), and you will vsp  orthognathic, custom plates, cutting guides,  implants ; depending where you go you have a better shot at doing a more meaningful number of dental implants in the US. 

I'm applying this year straight out of Canadian dental school and at the end of the interview season. It is very possible to match as a Canadian applicant from my experience so far, but more difficult. Which programs take/don't take Canadians is also very fluid each year (I received interviews not on this list, but others reached out saying they weren't able to take Canadians for just this year (COVID)).

Although important, especially as a Canadian, there's a misconception that all you need is a good CBSE and rank to get interviews. There's many applicants with 80s and even 90s on the CBSE that are getting fewer interviews than they expected. CBSE and rank will get programs to open your application, but from my conversations during interviews it's unlikely you'll get an interview (and have things to talk about if you do) with stock reference letters and only a couple numbers to show them who you are. 

Feel free to message me with any questions.

• Bulborb changed the title to Deleted