Premed 101 Forums

Lmcc1 failed by 4 points

6 hours ago, fammed20 said:

Hi,

I just received my results of LMCC1 of November 2020 session and I failed by 4 points! I am so devastated by the results. Should I go for result recheck? Any suggestions will be very helpful, please!

I think you need to reach out to your program (assuming you're in a residency program) for advice on any limitations in your practice or advancing to the next year of residency. As far as I know no one that failed LMCC1 hasn't redone the exam before becoming R2. I would instead focus on the rewrite if I were you and look for any help you can get from people you trust (that won't tell anyone and won't judge you) for study tips and practice. You'll also want to plan accordingly so you can squeeze in your LMCC2 in a timely manner. 

- G 

32 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

I think you need to reach out to your program (assuming you're in a residency program) for advice on any limitations in your practice or advancing to the next year of residency. As far as I know no one that failed LMCC1 hasn't redone the exam before becoming R2. I would instead focus on the rewrite if I were you and look for any help you can get from people you trust (that won't tell anyone and won't judge you) for study tips and practice. You'll also want to plan accordingly so you can squeeze in your LMCC2 in a timely manner. 

- G 

Thanks G! I will reach to my program, just wondering if there’s a chance of error. If anyone faced same situation and got different scores after recheck.

LMCC2 is on hold for a while anyways.

Focus on your retake and do your best - I would personally NOT reach out to your program. What is there to gain from that? There's only the change of potentially being viewed as a "weaker student" etc etc and lead to unnecessary potential bias. AFAIK no programs ever find out about your results on the exam anyways. Nor have i ever heard of anyone letting their program know that they passed. So i wouldn't worry about it, but don't take it lightly either - get into gear and study harder/smarter and retake it and pass. Your program isn't going to put in the studying for you. Schedule it around easier rotations, and use your evening/non-call weekends wisely. May even need to use a week of vacation to buffer. 

You can try spending the money on a recheck - but its unlikely to change anything. If you don't mind spending the money for a small chance of it working, try your luck!  Otherwise just mentally prepare to retake, and crush it.

18 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

LMCC2 is on hold for a while anyways.

Focus on your retake and do your best - I would personally NOT reach out to your program. What is there to gain from that? There's only the change of potentially being viewed as a "weaker student" etc etc and lead to unnecessary potential bias. AFAIK no programs ever find out about your results on the exam anyways. Nor have i ever heard of anyone letting their program know that they passed. So i wouldn't worry about it, but don't take it lightly either - get into gear and study harder/smarter and retake it and pass. Your program isn't going to put in the studying for you. Schedule it around easier rotations, and use your evening/non-call weekends wisely. May even need to use a week of vacation to buffer. 

You can try spending the money on a recheck - but its unlikely to change anything. If you don't mind spending the money for a small chance of it working, try your luck!  Otherwise just mentally prepare to retake, and crush it.

Sorry to ask a bit of an off-topic question, but I've always wondered whether a recheck on these types on exams ever really yield a change in the score? I was under the impression that the knowledge (not clinical skills) portion is completely MCQ and scored by a computer so unless there was some software malfunction, the score should always be the correct score, no? Was also similarly confused about the same policy with the MCAT, not sure what there is to gain from re-scoring a computer graded test.

My friend failed the first time and passed during the first retake in the fall. I don't think he wasted money on doing a recheck. He didn't inform his program and his residency wasn't limited in any way. I would try to not give your program more information than is legally required. While there are lot of good people in residency programs the overall system is not designed to be your friend.

43 minutes ago, zxcccxz said:

Sorry to ask a bit of an off-topic question, but I've always wondered whether a recheck on these types on exams ever really yield a change in the score? I was under the impression that the knowledge (not clinical skills) portion is completely MCQ and scored by a computer so unless there was some software malfunction, the score should always be the correct score, no? Was also similarly confused about the same policy with the MCAT, not sure what there is to gain from re-scoring a computer graded test.

I agree. But sometimes people like that "chance" for a potential mistake on the CDM portion? I am highly doubtful they have had any proven cases where the score changed...because that would show a flaw in their process of scoring. 

44 minutes ago, blah1234 said:

My friend failed the first time and passed during the first retake in the fall. I don't think he wasted money on doing a recheck. He didn't inform his program and his residency wasn't limited in any way. I would try to not give your program more information than is legally required. While there are lot of good people in residency programs the overall system is not designed to be your friend.

Less is more when it comes to residency interactions sometimes.

52 minutes ago, zxcccxz said:

can't say I have heard of much changing - and I like to think they also look over the close cases well pretty closely.