Premed 101 Forums

How can I calculate aGPA with a 3 year undergraduate program

Was wondering how to calculate aGPA for UBC? Is there any resource you could recommend, kind've lost as my school looks at 85+ as a 4.0 and UBC does 85-89 as a 3.9. My school has all grade in percentage and GPA form, I just need like an online calculator/tool that does 85-89 as a 3.9 to calculate

If I do it manually, do I just add all percentages (e.g. 80+82+84+80+....) and then divide by the total number of courses minus 30 credits if I've completed 90 credits (or 5 credits if I've completed 15 credits for a 20 credit degree at my school, for example)

Thank you in advance!

Hey there! So if on your transcript, your percentages are listed, I believe UBC Med will look at your percentage, instead of the GPA score. So what you do is, figure out the year with the lowest overall average (summer courses count towards the year you had just finished before taking them, e.g. courses taken in the summer after 1st year count as 1st year courses). 

Then, you find out your overall average by multiplying the percentage grade with the number of credits. Then, subtract the lowest credits from your worst year, until you have 90 credits left (e.g. if you have 92 credits, but your lowest course is a 3-credit course, subtract the % grade in that course multiplied by 2 credits). Finally, divide that total by 90 credits and you have your aGPA. :)

1 hour ago, PreMed#219099 said:

Was wondering how to calculate aGPA for UBC? Is there any resource you could recommend, kind've lost as my school looks at 85+ as a 4.0 and UBC does 85-89 as a 3.9. My school has all grade in percentage and GPA form, I just need like an online calculator/tool that does 85-89 as a 3.9 to calculate

If I do it manually, do I just add all percentages (e.g. 80+82+84+80+....) and then divide by the total number of courses minus 30 credits if I've completed 90 credits (or 5 credits if I've completed 15 credits for a 20 credit degree at my school, for example)

Thank you in advance!

You can use this calculator. You do just generally take an average, but you need to account for 3 and 6 credit courses differently. I found this easier than doing it manually. https://www.grad.ubc.ca/faculty-staff/admin-resources-templates/gpa-calculators

If you’ve completed more than 90 credits you can eliminate up to 30 credits from your worst year (the year with the worst average). But you have to have 90 credits remaining. So if, for example, you have 95 credits, you can only drop up to the worst 5 credits worth of course from that worst year, not the whole year. Simply don’t include courses you’re dropping in the calculation.

5 minutes ago, Fast_Layne said:

Hey there! So if on your transcript, your percentages are listed, I believe UBC Med will look at your percentage, instead of the GPA score. So what you do is, figure out the year with the lowest overall average (summer courses count towards the year you had just finished before taking them, e.g. courses taken in the summer after 1st year count as 1st year courses). 

Then, you find out your overall average by multiplying the percentage grade with the number of credits. Then, subtract the lowest credits from your worst year, until you have 90 credits left (e.g. if you have 92 credits, but your lowest course is a 3-credit course, subtract the % grade in that course multiplied by 2 credits). Finally, divide that total by 90 credits and you have your aGPA. :)

4 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

You can use this calculator. You do just generally take an average, but you need to account for 3 and 6 credit courses differently. I found this easier than doing it manually. https://www.grad.ubc.ca/faculty-staff/admin-resources-templates/gpa-calculators

If you’ve completed more than 90 credits you can eliminate up to 30 credits from your worst year (the year with the worst average). But you have to have 90 credits remaining. So if, for example, you have 95 credits, you can only drop up to the worst 5 credits worth of course from that worst year, not the whole year. Simply don’t include courses you’re dropping in the calculation.

Thank you so much for this!! 

I'm going to give both of these a shot for a ballpark idea (given my below average math skills and likelihood of messing up somewhere along the way) :)

Thank you!!