Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD Interviews are out

Title. Was not successful. Congratulations to all those with invites!!! :) 

EDIT: A bit confused. On the website, it says: "Applications are first assessed by the Admissions Committee for the Undergraduate MD Program, and only if the applicant is invited for interview, will the application be reviewed and ranked by the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s Program Committee."

This means that the reason someone is not offered an interview for MD/PhD is because: 1) MD program did not want them or 2) MD wanted them, but MD/PhD did not want them 

But, in my rejection letter, it says my application will be put back into the MD-only pool. Why would it be put back into MD-only, assuming reasons 1) or 2) are true? Wouldn't they theoretically know the status of my MD application given that it was first assessed by MD-only? 

Has anyone not been offered an MD/PhD interview, but an MD-only interview at Queens? Or any other schools, for that matter?

18 minutes ago, hello224 said:

I was invited for an MD/PhD interview. I was also given the option to decline the joint interview and enter the MD applicant pool (which was confusing to me).

Best of luck!

Congratulations!

Yes, a bit confusing. Just goes to show you that just because they *say* their admissions process is a certain way on their website, doesn't mean that they actually do it. LOL did it say you would automatically be invited for an MD interview if you opted out, or?

22 hours ago, scoobydoo1623 said:

This means that the reason someone is not offered an interview for MD/PhD is because: 1) MD program did not want them or 2) MD wanted them, but MD/PhD did not want them 

But, in my rejection letter, it says my application will be put back into the MD-only pool. Why would it be put back into MD-only, assuming reasons 1) or 2) are true? Wouldn't they theoretically know the status of my MD application given that it was first assessed by MD-only? 

Pure speculation on my part, but it's probably already been determined whether you'll be offered an interview for the MD program (as you've said), they just don't want to reveal whether you've received an MD interview until they're ready to do so for the entire applicant pool. Don't overthink it.

22 minutes ago, hello224 said:

I was invited for an MD/PhD interview. I was also given the option to decline the joint interview and enter the MD applicant pool (which was confusing to me).

Best of luck!

that's awesome, congratulations! :D. did you hear back today or yesterday, if you don't mind my asking? thanks!

Hey everyone,

I found out yesterday (timestamp 7:47pm). It did not say I would be automatically accepted for an interview. I was told if I opted out of the MD/PhD I would be reentered into the MD pool with no guarantee for an interview (which isn't a concern because I am thrilled about the chance to get into the joint program). 

I haven't been told any specific info about the MD interview, the email says I will be sent more info early in the new year (likely when the rest of invites go out to keep things fair).

5 hours ago, unarmed walrus said:

Pure speculation on my part, but it's probably already been determined whether you'll be offered an interview for the MD program (as you've said), they just don't want to reveal whether you've received an MD interview until they're ready to do so for the entire applicant pool. Don't overthink it.

Thanks! These were my thoughts as well.  

5 hours ago, hello224 said:

Hey everyone,

I found out yesterday (timestamp 7:47pm). It did not say I would be automatically accepted for an interview. I was told if I opted out of the MD/PhD I would be reentered into the MD pool with no guarantee for an interview (which isn't a concern because I am thrilled about the chance to get into the joint program). 

I haven't been told any specific info about the MD interview, the email says I will be sent more info early in the new year (likely when the rest of invites go out to keep things fair).

Congrats! Would it be possible to share your MCAT score to get an idea of this cycle's pool please? :) 

9 hours ago, FifthCycle said:

Silly question but, did they specify whether they were pursuing the online MMI/panel route? Couldn't find this on their website.

on their website https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students/applying/application-process:

The Queen’s School of Medicine uses a combined MMI and panel interview in the assessment of qualifying candidates.  The goal of using the MMI is to more effectively assess non-cognitive qualities of an applicant, which could include empathy, critical thinking, ethical decision making and communication skills. Selected candidates will be invited to the MMI portion.  From the applicants that complete the MMI component, a select number of these candidates will then be invited for a panel interview.

Please note: For the this upcoming admissions cycle, all interviews will be done virtually.

Note: All candidates attending interviews will be required to sign a Confidentiality Non-Disclosure statement, to ensure the integrity and security of the MMI process.  Any violation of the signed statement will result in removal of the admissions process.
Candidates offered interviews should be aware that the MMI is only scheduled once per year. Rescheduling, regardless of the reason, will not be accommodated.

2020-2021 Interview Dates:

MD/PhD 

• Friday, January 22, 2021

MD - MMI

• Saturday, February 27, 2021

MD - Panel 

• Saturday, March 27, 2021
  • Sunday, March 28, 2021

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...