Premed 101 Forums

Anyone with lower GPA successfully get into NOSM?

Hi all,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while. It’s been really nice to see actual interactions by likeminded individuals wading through the daunting application process. 

I have applied to NOSM this cycle. It’s been a long term goal of mine for the last 6 years and I finally applied. I’m 30, 4 kids, born and raised in a small town in Northern Ontario. Left for three years in my early 20’s but moved back as soon as we could. My background is in social sciences and I’ve been a business counsellor for Indigenous women, traveling all around Northern Ontario, including fly-in communities. I currently work in research for an Indigenous organization as the Chief Research Officer. I have decent ECs but my GPA isn’t great. I started university at 17, and had a rough couple years after we moved down east (near Ottawa). According to OMSAS my cGPA is 3.38, however, I do have a Masters degree, which puts me up to 3.58– still not great. I’m currently working on a second undergrad via Athabasca University (Bachelor’s in Health Administration) while I “wait” to get into medical school. This is absolutely my dream. The perfect profession and I intend to work and serve Northern Ontario until I physically can’t anymore. But I’m feeling pretty hopeless. So many people have competitive GPAs and I just feel like to recover my grades, it’s going to be a long and expensive journey, but I’m willing and committed to doing that. Even though it’s been INTENSE to keep up with family life, courses, and working. 

I’m reaching out for a little bit of hope. Does anyone know of anyone that got into NOSM with a lower GPA? I would appreciate any insight, words or encouragement or blunt advice!

Thanks in advance!

i don't know the gpa of anyone who got into NOSM.

I applied and one year I got an interview with a GPA in sub 3.5 range. I didn't get an offer but got a waitlist. Applied again and not even offered an interview.

So....it depends from year to year. Pool to pool. Then, where people who apply decide to accept offers.

Keep the hope. Work towards the dream. Don't forget to live your life in parallel. Med school is one thing but it isn't everything.

Best of luck :)

LL

18 minutes ago, LostLamb said:

i don't know the gpa of anyone who got into NOSM.

I applied and one year I got an interview with a GPA in sub 3.5 range. I didn't get an offer but got a waitlist. Applied again and not even offered an interview.

So....it depends from year to year. Pool to pool. Then, where people who apply decide to accept offers.

Keep the hope. Work towards the dream. Don't forget to live your life in parallel. Med school is one thing but it isn't everything.

Best of luck :)

LL

Ah, thank you for this! I appreciate your response and will keep this in mind. The unpredictability of the application cycle year by year is always so unsettling!

Don't know much about NOSM, but just wanted to say. Apply with what you have as long as you meet the cut off. It sounds like you have some amazing experiences and knowledge. Get help with writing your application. Im a non-trad, previous healthcare professional and older than you. Just started my first year at UofC. 

9 hours ago, powdermonkey13 said:

Don't know much about NOSM, but just wanted to say. Apply with what you have as long as you meet the cut off. It sounds like you have some amazing experiences and knowledge. Get help with writing your application. Im a non-trad, previous healthcare professional and older than you. Just started my first year at UofC. 

Thanks for this response and congratulations on the commencement of your first year! 

I had a consultant review my application and she was very pleased with it. Writing is definitely one of my strengths and NOSM has several essay questions on their application. Overall, I think I did really well on that part. I’m very anxious to hear if I’ll receive an interview invite!