amg Posted December 28, 2020 Report Share Posted December 28, 2020 Hello all, I'm a 2nd year mechanical engineering student in my 2nd undergrad, my first being in IT - Game Dev. The reason why I started is due to my interest in eng but not switching in time from my last major. Also, my high school prereqs for eng were expiring and with me not realizing my interest for medicine at the time, I ended up starting it. If I were to ultimately fail at getting in, my plan would be to resume my eng degree and work in biomed eng. Basically, I was planning on applying this past summer but due to personal circumstances and with handling a really heavy course load, it was ultimately not possible for me so I was now planning on writing the MCAT sometime late in the upcoming summer. My main worry was obviously the MCAT given my non-science background along with my cGPA as it was originally around 3.71 from my first undergrad but unfortunately took a real hit in my summer semester due to the personal circumstances I was facing and then in my past sem. I strongly feel these past 2 semesters are not reflective of my true academic abilities when compared to my degree. Ever since I realized how much of an impact my summer semester had dipping me below 3.7, I felt a bit depressed as my preferred school was McMaster especially since its more local and 3 years but as it seems like they don't allow any academic explanations essays, there's not much I can do to bring it back to a 3.7 although I don't think my chances were good anyways with 3.71 to begin with. So, now I was looking at options that may be more realistic for me such as Western since they consider best 2 years of completed degrees and possibly Queens depending on if they would consider the last two years from my last degree or from my current one. Below are my stats: cGPA: around 3.5-3.6 depending on how grades turn out by end of 2nd year (combination of past IT degree and current in progress eng degree) Best 2-years GPA: 3.87 and Last 2-years GPA: 3.74 ABS/ECs: academic achievements (multiple President's/Dean's list awards, game dev related awards), personal group video game projects, Game Dev position/capstone for the Toronto Rehab, presenting projects at public events and exhibitions (ex. Level Up Showcases, EGLX, etc), academic publication, few community related volunteer experiences, some personal health related experiences leading to medical interest, and currently for the past 4-5 months I've been part of my professor's research group who's outcome is to develop advanced materials for extreme environments and additionally focus being on developing tissue-simulant biomaterials for use in biomedical/biomechanics applications. My main volunteer work so far with the professor has been with creating 3D printable models for medical education purposes, another one of his projects. In addition, I was planning on getting some more volunteer experiences hopefully medical related over the summer or during my winter semester depending on my workload. The only thing with me applying to Western is that unless I'm in my final year which I'm not, they require me to withdraw from my degree in order to be eligible to apply meaning that I would be delaying that degree if I don't ultimately get in. I was also considering withdrawing before my winter semester begins so I have more MCAT study time but as I'm only 1 semester away from potentially doing a summer co-op possibly biomed related which may or may not help my application, I feel that it may be better to just complete the sem it while studying for MCAT on the side and then increasing my study time in the summer while doing the co-op or a full-time job whichever I get. So, I'm hoping to study for around 300-330 hours in total before writing the MCAT in the summer. So, assuming I get the minimum MCAT scores for Western and Queens, what would you say my chances are with my stats? My preferred option would be Western but I may also apply to Queens. I wondering how my chances with Mac and U of T are too but don't know if they are realistic options for me although I would likely still apply to Mac just in case and depending on if I take the prereqs for U of T on time, I would apply to U of T as well in case they allow wGPA for me. Thanks a lot for your time in advance and happy holidays! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.