Premed 101 Forums

COVID vaccines

1 hour ago, bread said:

No news yet on ours. We have however been informed by our faculty that students will now be involved in the care of COVID+ patients. Hoping it’s soon! 

Same. We might be at the same school (Ontario).

Residents in my area have been redeployed to give COVID vaccines but still haven't heard anything about their own vaccination priority, so I suspect medical students will be waiting some time. I'm not certain if we are technically considered healthcare workers.

5 hours ago, querty said:

Same. We might be at the same school (Ontario).

Residents in my area have been redeployed to give COVID vaccines but still haven't heard anything about their own vaccination priority, so I suspect medical students will be waiting some time. I'm not certain if we are technically considered healthcare workers.

Maybe we are! :) Yes, they’ve also been recruiting med students to help administer vaccines. One of the emerge docs had said a few weeks ago that it might be tricky with med students because they’re not employees of the hospital, so may not be eligible at the same time as other employees. 

12 hours ago, bread said:

Maybe we are! :) Yes, they’ve also been recruiting med students to help administer vaccines. One of the emerge docs had said a few weeks ago that it might be tricky with med students because they’re not employees of the hospital, so may not be eligible at the same time as other employees. 

we were told by FMEQ that med 3/4 are the same as other hospital employees and are being prioritized the same. 

this is good info - pass along to your other schools so they can ensure you're also prioritized!

Clerks in other cities have started receiving the vaccine. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything despite doing internal medicine call (and therefore seeing suspected/confirmed COVID patients) and being headed to geriatrics in exactly 5 weeks and probably a week of COVID unit in the next couple weeks. Guess residents working with COVID patients and high risk patients aren't priority over here.

On 1/1/2021 at 7:41 PM, Snowmen said:

Clerks in other cities have started receiving the vaccine. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything despite doing internal medicine call (and therefore seeing suspected/confirmed COVID patients) and being headed to geriatrics in exactly 5 weeks and probably a week of COVID unit in the next couple weeks. Guess residents working with COVID patients and high risk patients aren't priority over here.

I’m sorry to hear this and I hope you hear soon about yours! I’ve started hearing about some residents and a select few number of clerks at other schools getting theirs so far. 

On 1/1/2021 at 7:41 PM, Snowmen said:

thats terrible - sorry to hear this. where are you located? we haven't heard news either but clearly enough doses for us since they're all just sitting in freezers..

20 hours ago, bread said:

So, many residents have gotten their vaccines here now. No word at all yet about medical students. Any medical students from other schools receive word about when you might be getting them? 

In quebec have heard students in Mcgill Gatineau, Laval, Sherbrooke and UdeM starting to receive - but of course not mcgill mtl. shocker.

Also saw some u of t students have started receiving. 

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

In quebec have heard students in Mcgill Gatineau, Laval, Sherbrooke and UdeM starting to receive - but of course not mcgill mtl. shocker.

Also saw some u of t students have started receiving. 

@bellejolie, why is it a shocker that mcgill students/residents in Mtl don't have access to the vaccine yet? I am just curious!! I am wondering what is the culture at McGill towards resident/students? Could I pm you eventually?? Thanks!!

19 hours ago, Floraelise said:

@bellejolie, why is it a shocker that mcgill students/residents in Mtl don't have access to the vaccine yet? I am just curious!! I am wondering what is the culture at McGill towards resident/students? Could I pm you eventually?? Thanks!!

I've felt that in general whether it was being removed from clerkship or hearing about the plans for our graduation/curriculum we students have had to advocate so hard for ourselves to be a priority. we were always the last school in quebec to find out what the plan was, and would hear things from other schools first and then receive an email at the end. it's not in their control as much for us to receive vaccines, it's determined by the regions and hospitals but if the school doesnt protect, value and advocate for its students why would the hospitals? there are administrators, nutritionists and outpatient physiotherapists getting the vaccine before students working in the ER directly with patients. We spend the MOST time doing patient interviews, we travel between hospitals for our rotations, but because we're not considered "employees" we're literally prevented from getting the vaccine over these other employees. it's pathetic. Residents are having the same issue, they've all had to fight for themselves there has been no coordinated effort to prioritize them either. 

21 hours ago, honeymoon said:

one of my friends in 4th year at UBC received the first shot this past wednesday

I would add that this would be the exception, not the rule though. Word from the top is that we will likely be included in BC's "second wave" of HCW vaccinations, hopefully happening in Feb/March of this year. We are allowed to accept a vaccination if offered though, whether that is because of a momentary vaccine surplus, or different site-specific policies. 

2 hours ago, MrWesting said:

I would add that this would be the exception, not the rule though. Word from the top is that we will likely be included in BC's "second wave" of HCW vaccinations, hopefully happening in Feb/March of this year. We are allowed to accept a vaccination if offered though, whether that is because of a momentary vaccine surplus, or different site-specific policies. 

Which makes sense. Medical students aren’t explicitly excluded from the first wave, it’s that the priority is front-line patient care areas like covid wards, ICU, etc.  So while students aren’t explicitly looking after covid patients, it makes sense that students working in emerg and in ICU who may be a higher exposure risk should be able to get it if it’s there. Obviously there’s practical limitations - the shot takes time to become effective, and coordinating the second dose may be tricky - but ultimately just focusing on getting shots in arms when people are working in high risk areas is probably the best way. No sense wasting them. 

Ottawa has students seeing Covid patients since the Xmas break. We haven't heard anything from the faculty on the subject of vaccines, but the student government has informed us that they are working on it. The French stream is being vaccinated by the Montfort hospital. The English stream has been told that TOH will vaccinate "in a matter of weeks, not months." They're also planning on vaccinating pre-clerks, but I'm not sure exactly where they fall on the priority list.

10 hours ago, a1b1 said:

residents have already started receiving the vaccine, at least that seems to be the case for mcgill. I can confirm this as I have residents who work with me at my clinic.

yes i think it's started...i just know of students who are rotating at hospitals being told no for now because they're not technically employees. 

i am hopeful that people rotating in more high risk rotations will have access to the vaccine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this and see where other schools are at in terms of vaccinating? the MUHC (one of our biggest sites with two main teaching hospitals, and it's own "CIUSSS" which is how regions are divided in Quebec) announced today med students are not in the priority list of initial rollout so we won't be getting vaccinated through them anytime soon. Other hospitals have started but supply is weak right now. Approx 40/180 students vaccinated with first dose. Updates from others?