Premed 101 Forums

COVID vaccines

Still no word on timeframe for us - faculty has told us that they are working on putting a process in place. Medical students are now being placed on the covid ward and seeing confirmed covid patients, so I’m hoping it’s soon. We aren’t sure yet if we will be grouped in with other healthcare providers or in “phase 2” of the rollout. 

16 minutes ago, bread said:

Still no word on timeframe for us - faculty has told us that they are working on putting a process in place. Medical students are now being placed on the covid ward and seeing confirmed covid patients, so I’m hoping it’s soon. We aren’t sure yet if we will be grouped in with other healthcare providers or in “phase 2” of the rollout. 

omg this is terrible. 

17 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

omg this is terrible. 

To be fair, I think our faculty is doing the best they can. It seems like the hospitals also have a (the most?) say with regards to where students will fall in the process. And I know a lot of the residents’ appointments for the next 1-2 weeks are being cancelled because of low vaccine supply. Wish it could be a faster process for everyone! 

Per one of the hospital emails, COVID vaccine delivery to Ottawa as a city is paused for a few weeks, so it will be a while for us here. We are seeing COVID patients and students on internal have been assigned patients in the COVID ward.

Many of the internal medicine residents have been vaccinated - I think most of the others are still waiting.

• 1 month later...

Interestingly 

Just now, bellejolie said:

most medical students were vaccinated in quebec and our status was changed to the same as residents/staff physicians just last week. we had to fight but worth it. 

I forgot to mention that the French stream here in Ottawa has been partially vaccinated -  not sure if this is better advocacy or just better luck on their part.

8 minutes ago, querty said:

Interestingly 

I forgot to mention that the French stream here in Ottawa has been partially vaccinated -  not sure if this is better advocacy or just better luck on their part.

no idea probably how the vaccines were allocated - happened to us too. med 1's in gatineau were vaccinated before med 3/4 in montreal just because they allocated doses poorly. you should all be advocating as hard as you can, student leaders created a petition with nearly 200 signatures and a week later everyone started getting vaccinated. two weeks later and our status changed. worth it to try harder and make a bit of noise. you guys are all working with covid patients from what i heard so really unfair you haven't gotten anything.