Premed 101 Forums

I am a dual Canadian American citizen, am I an international applicant to US MD & DO?

So I was born the US, never lived there for long I was mostly there while my parents finished school in the states, so by virtue of that I am a US citizen. I lived in Canada most my life and attend a Canadian university, so I am also a Canadian citizen. If anyone is also a dual US-CA citizen and previously applied or anyone else who just by chance knows, would I be considered an international applicant or as an out of state applicant to US schools? 

If I am considered as international, with my more bleh than WoW GPA, the prospect of applying seems bleak unless I am just uninformed. So I want to try to establish my standing. Thanks so much for the help. 

If you can apply for a US passport, you are a US citizen, which will place you at a huge advantage. Sure you'll count as out of state for some schools but still that's much better position that a complete foreign alien.

Now once thing you might run into problem years down the road is the IRS, taxation for dual citizen is much more complicated as US taxes worldwide income, so in the future you might have to really think about this aspect.

9 hours ago, shikimate said:

If you can apply for a US passport, you are a US citizen, which will place you at a huge advantage. Sure you'll count as out of state for some schools but still that's much better position that a complete foreign alien.

Now once thing you might run into problem years down the road is the IRS, taxation for dual citizen is much more complicated as US taxes worldwide income, so in the future you might have to really think about this aspect.

Yea I have a US passport so I guess that is a good thing, I haven't even considered the taxes yet lol thanks for putting that into my mind.

9 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Sort this out ASAP, as if you are able to get your US passport - it is a HUGE advantage - and plenty of mid tier schools will open up for your medical school admission (MD/DO).   If you can swing it financially, you would be set.

Thanks for the reply. I already have a US passport, just not permanent residence because I haven't lived in the states in quite some time.

39 minutes ago, IAmConfusion said:

Thanks for the reply. I already have a US passport, just not permanent residence because I haven't lived in the states in quite some time.

A US passport should be fairly equivalent from an admissions perspective, but i would maybe start by cold-emailing a few random medical schools and ask their thoughts on your situation. Specifically if you would be treated as an Out-of-state at the very least?     Either way, if you pull together a strong application, having citizenship should be a huge boon in opening up schools that other canadians non-us citizens can't apply to.

5 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

A US passport should be fairly equivalent from an admissions perspective, but i would maybe start by cold-emailing a few random medical schools and ask their thoughts on your situation. Specifically if you would be treated as an Out-of-state at the very least?     Either way, if you pull together a strong application, having citizenship should be a huge boon in opening up schools that other canadians non-us citizens can't apply to.

Again thanks for replying, I am finally starting to learn about my standing thanks to people like you on this site. I have sent a few emails, so far UWSMPH has said that I would be an OOS applicant, which is good news considering they are a school that mentioned that they do not accept international applicants, which cleaves the gray area. I guess now all I can do is wait and hope for similar responses from other schools. I should of also asked about in state requirements but didn't, however after looking at a few schools it appears that I would of needed to go to a in state university/college rather than actually just live in the state for x time period. I also maybe shouldn't of asked Wisconsin med either because my GPA is only 0.1 above the accepted average and they accepted few OOS compared to all others I asked, but all else equal it's some concrete info on my standing. 

7 hours ago, IAmConfusion said:

Again thanks for replying, I am finally starting to learn about my standing thanks to people like you on this site. I have sent a few emails, so far UWSMPH has said that I would be an OOS applicant, which is good news considering they are a school that mentioned that they do not accept international applicants, which cleaves the gray area. I guess now all I can do is wait and hope for similar responses from other schools. I should of also asked about in state requirements but didn't, however after looking at a few schools it appears that I would of needed to go to a in state university/college rather than actually just live in the state for x time period. I also maybe shouldn't of asked Wisconsin med either because my GPA is only 0.1 above the accepted average and they accepted few OOS compared to all others I asked, but all else equal it's some concrete info on my standing. 

Definitely. You will want to target schools that have a decent OOS interview # or matriculant (remember that just because they dont have a high OOS matriculant #, doesnt mean they didnt offer acceptances, and those students chose to stay home in their own state etc).

Also public vs privately funded medical schools, the later are much more willing to take OOS/Internationals. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I’m also a US-Canadian dual citizen! You’re American (not international) and will be considered as such for admissions purposes so you honestly have nothing to worry about. I was born in the US and went to a Canadian university and it has probably made me a better applicant. 

I’m currently in the 2020/2021 admissions cycle and have had success so far. Also, you can apply to schools with stats above yours!!! I actually have an interview coming up to Wisconsin med (UWSMPH) and also a top 5 MD school, and my stats were below there averages. Don’t be discouraged. Just put together a well formed app and you should be good:)

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Hey! I am also a dual citizen but the opp of naija. I was born in Canada and went to undergrad there and grad school in US. I currently attend an MD school in US so let me know if you have any questions. You are not international but will likely be OOS for all schools unless you can prove in state residency. Which you actually might be able to depending on the state. 

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, rnrpro said:

Hey Aria, can you please expand on "proof of instate residency" I am looking to applying to US med schools as a dual citizen (Can/US). I have lived in the States for about 6 months for an internship but apart from that I reside in Canada. 

Each school will have their own criteria for being "in-state" so you'll have to look at each school directly.