Premed 101 Forums

Meeting With A Supervisor for NSERC USRA

Savasasin

Hello everyone, I’m a 2nd-year and last week I cold emailed some profs to be my supervisor as I apply for NSERC. Luckily, one agreed to be my supervisor and told me that he wanted to have a meeting this week. Since he didn’t specify the purpose of the meeting, my question is that will this serve as an interview or just a casual meeting to discuss the application? It doesn’t sound like an interview to me since he seems to have accepted me, but if it was, are there any tips? Thank you in advance!

For having done several research internships (including the NSERC) and, priorly, met several researchers, the "meeting" with your supervisor will be an interview... but probably not entirely.

Just as much as it's important for a student to selectively choose their supervisor, it's also important for supervisors to do so with interns to ensure a team and sup-intern cohesion. That said, your supervisor will most likely ask you "interview-style" questions focused on your academic background and work ethic.

If I can give you an advice, to avoid any stress, rather see the interview as (like you said) a casual meeting to discuss the application; be honest, be humble, be genuine, don't be afraid to say you don't know, and most importantly, also ask questions to your supervisor.

A good chemistry between you and your supervisor is important for the success of your internship. Ask them if he has a project planned for you to work on, ask them about his team management style and supervisory style, his students/intern working schedule, if you will be able to participate to lab meetings and reading groups (if there are) and the recurrence they're hold, if you'll have a mentor (MSc, PhD student or research assistant) to guide you throughout your internship, etc.

You're never accepted to a lab on the basis of email exchanges only. If so, it's a huge red flag pointing that the supervisor doesn't treat his students as a priority down the line.

Aside from the interview, you'll also discuss the NSERC application, but it's nothing too complicated.

Best of luck!

3 hours ago, MK. said:

For having done several research internships (including the NSERC) and, priorly, met several researchers, the "meeting" with your supervisor will be an interview... but probably not entirely.

Just as much as it's important for a student to selectively choose their supervisor, it's also important for supervisors to do so with interns to ensure a team and sup-intern cohesion. That said, your supervisor will most likely ask you "interview-style" questions focused on your academic background and work ethic.

If I can give you an advice, to avoid any stress, rather see the interview as (like you said) a casual meeting to discuss the application; be honest, be humble, be genuine, don't be afraid to say you don't know, and most importantly, also ask questions to your supervisor.

A good chemistry between you and your supervisor is important for the success of your internship. Ask them if he has a project planned for you to work on, ask them about his team management style and supervisory style, his students/intern working schedule, if you will be able to participate to lab meetings and reading groups (if there are) and the recurrence they're hold, if you'll have a mentor (MSc, PhD student or research assistant) to guide you throughout your internship, etc.

You're never accepted to a lab on the basis of email exchanges only. If so, it's a huge red flag pointing that the supervisor doesn't treat his students as a priority down the line.

Aside from the interview, you'll also discuss the NSERC application, but it's nothing too complicated.

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your advice! I have another question regarding NSERC. This summer I took a course at another institution as a non-program/visiting student. Do I need to provide the transcript for that course when applying for USRA? 

The website mentions "transcripts must show the term before the application was prepared". (https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/OnlineServices-ServicesEnLigne/instructions/202/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp)

Even if the course you took was in another institution as a visiting student, I say 'better be safe than sorry' : attach with your official transcript (from your uni) the non-official transcript of the second uni with your graded course.