Premed 101 Forums

Courses as Unclassified at UBC + Courses at TRU OL

Hello everyone, 

Regrets, you have not been invited for an interview. With the shocking subject line, I have cultivated the motivation after an egg-noggy holiday, to squeeze out another percent or so to my GPA. 

My TFR was 53 and with the cut off being at 53, I realized each year it gets more competitive and therefore I should improve my GPA, while I continue to pursue this path. 

My question: Do courses at UBC as an unclassified student count towards your AGPA? 

My question 2: Do courses at TRU OL count towards your AGPA?

My question 3: Is it possible to take 3 courses at UBC as an unclassified student and 3 courses at TRU OL and have it be so that there is a total of 6 courses counted all before June?

Please let me know, I have contacted UBC Med but sadly no answer has been received yet. 

Cheers,

22 minutes ago, grinder2018 said:

Hello everyone, 

Regrets, you have not been invited for an interview. With the shocking subject line, I have cultivated the motivation after an egg-noggy holiday, to squeeze out another percent or so to my GPA. 

My TFR was 53 and with the cut off being at 53, I realized each year it gets more competitive and therefore I should improve my GPA, while I continue to pursue this path. 

My question: Do courses at UBC as an unclassified student count towards your AGPA? 

My question 2: Do courses at TRU OL count towards your AGPA?

My question 3: Is it possible to take 3 courses at UBC as an unclassified student and 3 courses at TRU OL and have it be so that there is a total of 6 courses counted all before June?

Please let me know, I have contacted UBC Med but sadly no answer has been received yet. 

Cheers,

Yes to all three - all post-secondary courses you take will be included in your GPA. If you want to take 6 courses at a time, you can, doesn’t matter if they are at different institutions. But I might think carefully before taking 6 courses, and whether that workload is one you can realistically do really well with, or if you’re more likely to end up with mediocre scores that further hurt your GPA. 

Personally I think you’re more likely to see meaningful benefit to your application by expanding your life experience and trying to improve your NAQ, get a job, etc. than slaving away at school for another semester for potentially tiny benefit. But if you think it’s doable, go for it. 

2 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Yes to all three - all post-secondary courses you take will be included in your GPA. If you want to take 6 courses at a time, you can, doesn’t matter if they are at different institutions. But I might think carefully before taking 6 courses, and whether that workload is one you can realistically do really well with, or if you’re more likely to end up with mediocre scores that further hurt your GPA. 

Personally I think you’re more likely to see meaningful benefit to your application by expanding your life experience and trying to improve your NAQ, get a job, etc. than slaving away at school for another semester for potentially tiny benefit. But if you think it’s doable, go for it. 

Hey thanks for your response. That is awesome that they count the courses! 

Personally my NAQ is pretty juiced (75th-100th) and I think the only option right now for me is to up that AQ which set me back. However, with that being said I am continually working on my NAQ with work, volunteering etc. 

Appreciate your time. 

42 minutes ago, Fast_Layne said:

Just here to say you got an awesome NAQ score haha, what did you do?!

I appreciate it! I'm 24 now but I have been grinding NAQ since I post high-school (since 18, so about 6 years). Summer of grade 12 I did an overseas english teaching program and health sanitation practice in developing country, I volunteered at VCH for 6 years, coached sports 9 years, 6 work positions, research (no pubs), involvement in science community, involvement in ethnic community, lots of charity work, sports advocacy, outdoor sports, competitive basketball leagues. When choosing activities I tried to hit the Canmeds roles, but chose activities in stuff I liked (i.e not hospital limited).

Also I chose activities that i felt passionate about (not a buzz word, but I think passion is good because you get tired af to anyone else reading this ((not you fast_layne cuz you in med already)), but you want to find the extra grind and when something means a lot, or its for the greater good so you churn that extra bit of energy). 

Hours wise: first year: 10 hours a week

Second year: 15

third/fourth/fifth i cranked it up to 25-30 (my best academic years too lmao, weird I thought i was going to bomb them). Summers I practically worked / volunteered full-time for 6 years straight. 

Sadly, my GPA is taken back by my lack-luster efforts in my second year. With my work ethic coming into shape 3rd year onwards. 

Long road this path is, but I pay homage to the learning goddess. :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, grinder2018 said:

I appreciate it! I'm 24 now but I have been grinding NAQ since I post high-school (since 18, so about 6 years). Summer of grade 12 I did an overseas english teaching program and health sanitation practice in developing country, I volunteered at VCH for 6 years, coached sports 9 years, 6 work positions, research (no pubs), involvement in science community, involvement in ethnic community, lots of charity work, sports advocacy, outdoor sports, competitive basketball leagues. When choosing activities I tried to hit the Canmeds roles, but chose activities in stuff I liked (i.e not hospital limited).

Also I chose activities that i felt passionate about (not a buzz word, but I think passion is good because you get tired af to anyone else reading this ((not you fast_layne cuz you in med already)), but you want to find the extra grind and when something means a lot, or its for the greater good so you churn that extra bit of energy). 

Hours wise: first year: 10 hours a week

Second year: 15

third/fourth/fifth i cranked it up to 25-30 (my best academic years too lmao, weird I thought i was going to bomb them). Summers I practically worked / volunteered full-time for 6 years straight. 

Sadly, my GPA is taken back by my lack-luster efforts in my second year. With my work ethic coming into shape 3rd year onwards. 

Long road this path is, but I pay homage to the learning goddess. :rolleyes:

This is very impressive! I’m not surprised your NAQ is in the top 75-100th percentile. 

I’m just curious what’s your AGPA? 

1 hour ago, Coviduh19 said:

This is very impressive! I’m not surprised your NAQ is in the top 75-100th percentile. 

I’m just curious what’s your AGPA? 

AGPA: 83.4 

I have come to learn that the EC train can only carry you so far. If my mans Bernoulli blesses me, I am going to push out the toothpaste tube another 2% to get me to 85% hopefully bumping AQ up. 

Crazy to think that in the previous cycle the TFR's were lower! Wild. 

Going rogue and preparing for next winter.