Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Interview Invite/Rejection 2021

1 hour ago, s1008 said:

Still haven't received one :(
Getting a little worried, anyone else not get an email yet ? 

since it's been more than 24 hours now, i think it might be a good idea to email the admissions team and just inquire whether or not there are any interview decisions that have yet to be sent out :) and also if you haven't yet, check your junk/spam email folders -- i think a lot of people found that their interview decisions had been sent there!!

all the best, i hope you receive good news from admissions :lol:

2 minutes ago, tennie said:

since it's been more than 24 hours now, i think it might be a good idea to email the admissions team and just inquire whether or not there are any interview decisions that have yet to be sent out :) and also if you haven't yet, check your junk/spam email folders -- i think a lot of people found that their interview decisions had been sent there!!

all the best, i hope you receive good news from admissions :lol:

I emailed them today and didn't get a response so I'll definitely try again on Monday. Looked everywhere (junk/spam) and could not for the life of me locate it :(

Thank you for replying ! Going crazy here :blink:

1 hour ago, s1008 said:

I emailed them today and didn't get a response so I'll definitely try again on Monday. Looked everywhere (junk/spam) and could not for the life of me locate it :(

Thank you for replying ! Going crazy here :blink:

i really hope things will turn out well for you :( i’ll be crossing my fingers that you’ll hear good news once they email back!!! :lol:

Invite/Rejection: Invite!!
Time Stamp: 
Stream: English
cGPA: 3.86 or 3.91 [depending on if summer courses were not included]
Current year: 3 years of UG complete, currently a veterinary medicine student 
ECs: Over 1000+ hours clinical in veterinary clinics doing minor surgeries, restrains, radiographs, etc. exp as an RA, lots of volunteering with wildlife, avians/exotic species, ECs as VP of surgery club and faculty societies in undergrad, minimal experience with actual human doctors haha 

Casper and Snapshot: My typing speed is 110+ WPM so likely carried me here. Did not do snapshot

Invite/Rejection: R
Time Stamp: 12:42pm
cGPA: 3.89
Current year: Completed BSc in 2020, currently working
ECs: Diverse ECs including varsity sport, another sport at the international level, working with the disabled, working with underprivileged children, physician shadowing, 2 lab volunteer positions, some advocacy, and employment.

Casper and Snapshot: My CASPer this year felt worse than previous year tbh... misread one of the prompts and realized too late without enough time to fix my responses. My mom also thought my CASPer was over and walked into the dining room and I got super distracted which messed up another one of my responses on a different question. I did snapshot in August for Dalhousie, didn't prep much for it and honestly the questions were a bit strange. Hoping it didn't hurt me... I would have prepped more for it if I had known an Ontario school would be looking at it.

Was kind of expecting the R from Ottawa, I have multiple friends currently in MD programs and nobody I have ever met has received an interview with uO.... I have no idea what the heck they are looking for. Maybe my GPA is too low for uO

A little late, but super excited to be posting here again this year!

Invite/Rejection INVITE!!! 
Time Stamp: 2:47pm EST
cGPA: 3.93
Current year: Gap year 
ECs: lots of professional experiences, some executive positions on clubs, a little bit (not much) research, DM if interested in details!

Casper and Snapshot: Good enough for Mac with a 126 CARS! And did the snapshot, but not sure how I felt about it! 

After being ‘good’ Waitlisted last year and never making it off the waitlist, I’m very grateful to have a chance at this wonderful school again this year! Going to learn from my mistakes last year and hopefully kill the interview this year! 

1 hour ago, newmy88 said:

A little late, but super excited to be posting here again this year!

Invite/Rejection INVITE!!! 
Time Stamp: 2:47pm EST
cGPA: 3.93
Current year: Gap year 
ECs: lots of professional experiences, some executive positions on clubs, a little bit (not much) research, DM if interested in details!

Casper and Snapshot: Good enough for Mac with a 126 CARS! And did the snapshot, but not sure how I felt about it! 

After being ‘good’ Waitlisted last year and never making it off the waitlist, I’m very grateful to have a chance at this wonderful school again this year! Going to learn from my mistakes last year and hopefully kill the interview this year! 

Rooting for you my friend!! 

1 hour ago, s1008 said:

Ended up being an R :( Pretty disappointed as it's my 4th year applying

i’m so sorry to hear that :( i’m sure you are a strong and incredible applicant and please know that this result doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t be an amazing doctor!!! i really wish you the best for other/future applications and for all of your other endeavours :wub: 

33 minutes ago, Voldy said:

It's weird that they are doing it in the middle of the week during school, I have midterms and stuff. 

Yes very weird. I work (I have finished all my university studies) and will have to call in sick the morning of my interview as it's mid-week. The dates also appear to be very rigid and not very flexible to accommodate people's schedules (not to mention if their interview date conflicts with another school's date).

On another note, do any of the Ottawa med students know why there is such variability in interview dates? Everyone I know who received an interview invite got their date sent to them today, and some of them are at the very beginning (like me), and at the end. Is there any logic behind this, or do they just randomly pick names out of a hat, to determine who unluckily gets their interview at the start? (or is this just a big secret)

5 minutes ago, silver_08 said:

Yes very weird. I work (I have finished all my university studies) and will have to call in sick the morning of my interview as it's mid-week. The dates also appear to be very rigid and not very flexible to accommodate people's schedules (not to mention if their interview date conflicts with another school's date).

On another note, do any of the Ottawa med students know why there is such variability in interview dates? Everyone I know who received an interview invite got their date sent to them today, and some of them are at the very beginning (like me), and at the end. Is there any logic behind this, or do they just randomly pick names out of a hat, to determine who unluckily gets their interview at the start? (or is this just a big secret)

Do you mind sharing when it starts (from what you have heard/earliest date)? 

7 hours ago, Medhopeful1993 said:

Do people usually make it off the interview waitlist? or is that just a fantasy put there in the email.... LOL 

Yes people do :) I know someone (who was accepted!!) that made it off the interview waitlist last year. One thing to keep in mind is that the last cycle wasn't affected by COVID and so interviews were in-person. 

17 hours ago, rosa_gabrielle said:

Just got the follow up email about interview dates and times, they're mid week and mid-day, first time applicant here so I have no idea if this is normal or not but it was surprising to me! 

It’s normal. I’ve had three Ottawa interviews (a few years ago) and 2 of them were during the week (Wednesday and Friday, one around 10am and the other around 2pm, if I remember correctly). The other one was a Saturday.

15 hours ago, PirouetteCacahuete said:

Do we know approximately how long the interview will last? I'll have to book a conference room and trying to plan ahead. 

I think they're sending that info out in a follow up email... them saying, "When your confirmation is received, we will send you an information package with more details about your virtual interview day" makes it seem like it might be different than the typical panel interviews/they're still trying to figure it out, other wise they could just send it all out now

5 hours ago, rosa_gabrielle said:

I think they're sending that info out in a follow up email... them saying, "When your confirmation is received, we will send you an information package with more details about your virtual interview day" makes it seem like it might be different than the typical panel interviews/they're still trying to figure it out, other wise they could just send it all out now

Has anyone gotten the information package yet? I confirmed my attendance last night but I haven’t gotten anything yet