Premed 101 Forums

What type of MMI questions should we expect? Does UBC tell us if there will be, for example, acting based scenarios?

IIRC, one school last year opted to not do actor based scenarios due to the virtual format (not sure why, perhaps it's a bit awkward to act through a webcam?). Anyways, what type of MMI questions can we expect? I'm watching a youtube video that says MMIs can have personal Qs like "tell me about yourself". Is that true? Does UBC give any info on this? Thanks a lot your answers mean the world to me.

This is what's publicly available - you recieve more information if invited to interview. Unfortunately, all current MD students signed a confidentiality agreement so we shouldn't be commenting on specific station types. MY advice is that you should be practice as many questions as possible -- the most useful will be ones that you have no background context on. Be prepared for any sort of critical thinking question on the MMI. I personally encountered many questions where I had to think on my feet (ie couldn't prep for). Prepare yourself to expect anything. Be flexible!! I'd also avoid rigid structure because they make you sound robotic if the stations don't fit with the structure you've prepared before hand. Go with the flow!!!

• The stations are designed to be challenging, interesting and engaging so that applicants can demonstrate their communication and critical thinking skills, as well as their personality! Different stations may require the applicant to comment on a particular scenario, interact with a third Zoom participant, or respond to audio/video presentations, etc. In many cases there is no right or wrong answer.

https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/interviews/

31 minutes ago, M3P0 said:

IIRC, one school last year opted to not do actor based scenarios due to the virtual format (not sure why, perhaps it's a bit awkward to act through a webcam?). Anyways, what type of MMI questions can we expect? I'm watching a youtube video that says MMIs can have personal Qs like "tell me about yourself". Is that true? Does UBC give any info on this? Thanks a lot your answers mean the world to me.

If you read the application webpage interview faq, they say “Different stations may require the applicant to comment on a particular scenario, interact with a third Zoom participant, or respond to audio/video presentations, etc. “, and that’s as specific as they will get. MMIs can have personal questions, but anecdotally that seems more typical in residency interviews than medical school interviews at UBC. That said, you never know, and it varies year to year. Use a variety of resources to prepare and practice thinking on your feet (i.e. practice answer as many different questions as you can, as opposed to trying to find some sets of questions you think might be the most like the ones that might show up).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what was said above. We cannot comment on the types of stations, if we could they can change it up at any time. 
As that 2013/2014 document states, "anything is fair game." 
Get comfortable thinking on your feet and have a way to approach stations you were unprepared for. It is virtually impossible to practice every possible scenario and station that you will see. Having a method can be helpful to calm your brain when you get something unexpected.