Premed 101 Forums

US Residency

Hey! I’m a 4th year med student hoping to match to a competitive specialty in Canada.  I’m considering backing up with another less competitive specialty.

My question is: can you apply to the US if you’ve already completed a Canadian residency? If I match to my 2nd choice speciality, would that diminish my chances of matching to the US if I decide to go that route? 

Appreciate  any insight!

24 minutes ago, MedHopeful93 said:

Hey! I’m a 4th year med student hoping to match to a competitive specialty in Canada.  I’m considering backing up with another less competitive specialty.

My question is: can you apply to the US if you’ve already completed a Canadian residency? If I match to my 2nd choice speciality, would that diminish my chances of matching to the US if I decide to go that route? 

Appreciate  any insight!

Yes you can always apply to the US after you have already completed a Canadian Residency. However, there is the huge opportunity cost of course.

If the specialty is competitive in the US as well, it might be worthwhile considering not backing up (i.e. going unmatched), then do a "research fellowship" year and write your Step 1 too. In the US, Step 1 scores are king.