Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Research Progress and Med Admissions

Any other grad students out there who are in their last year and stressing about completing and successfully defending on time to start med? I know invites are only just beginning to be sent out, but the though of possibly getting into Med and having to forgo acceptance since research has not been completed (esp with COVID and possibly more impending restrictions here in Ontario) is really starting to stress me out. 

3 hours ago, rli2 said:

Any other grad students out there who are in their last year and stressing about completing and successfully defending on time to start med? I know invites are only just beginning to be sent out, but the though of possibly getting into Med and having to forgo acceptance since research has not been completed (esp with COVID and possibly more impending restrictions here in Ontario) is really starting to stress me out. 

I started med school in 2020 (last year's class) and many of the students in my class were allowed to begin med school without having defending their thesis/having their degree conferred. Of course this meant that they had to deal with defending their thesis in the fall while being a full-time medical student which was super stressful. I'm unsure if they will be as accomodating this year given that COVID is no longer a "new unprecedented development", but you can definitely inquire with the appropriate admissions offices to see what accomodations they have in place for students who cannot complete degree (I'm sure they have some official policy in place by now given the large number of students who had this issue last year).

I'm in a similar situation. My advisor has been incredibly understanding so far and has committed to helping me defend in time for wherever I may be going. It's definitely stressful but I do think that our committees/medical schools will understand that we effectively lost a whole semester worth of time due to COVID and will take that into account. 

11 minutes ago, naptime98 said:

I'm in a similar situation. My advisor has been incredibly understanding so far and has committed to helping me defend in time for wherever I may be going. It's definitely stressful but I do think that our committees/medical schools will understand that we effectively lost a whole semester worth of time due to COVID and will take that into account. 

This honestly makes me feel so much better - same here my supervisor has been my biggest advocate and willing to help me finish in time.
until we actually submit for defence im sure it will continue to be a stressor LOL 

20 minutes ago, zxcccxz said:

I started med schools in 2020 (last year's class) and many of the students in my class were allowed to begin med school without having defending their thesis/having their degree conferred. Of course this meant that they had to deal with defending their thesis in the fall while being a full-time medical student which was super stressful. I'm unsure if they will be as accomodating this year given that COVID is no longer a "new unprecedented development", but you can definitely inquire with the appropriate admissions offices to see what accomodations they have in place for students who cannot complete degree (I'm sure they have some official policy in place by now given the large number of students who had this issue last year).

Really appreciate this response! Hopefully some sort of policy is in place, especially since so much time has been lost in comparison to when your class entered