Premed 101 Forums

word count for carms essays

47 minutes ago, cookie_m said:

In case anyone is wondering, I asked CaRMS staff if there is a word count. I was told that the only way for them to know would be to copy and paste it. The letters are generated as a PDF. 

You make it sound as if programs won't do that; it takes 30 seconds and can screen out applicants easily based on ability to follow instruction 

3 hours ago, Bookmark311 said:

One of my PS said around 500 words and mine is 511 word. Would it be screened out.. I was told that’s still around 500 words

i am started to worry now!! There was no strict word limit on mine

I definitely didn't risk it. Like someone else said it's an easy copy and paste. I don't think they'll go through the trouble if it looks about right or penalize you for an extra 11 words. I found other ways to make it less words. However, with that being said, I think mine said no more than 500 words. If yours said around, I'm sure it's fine. Anyways nothing you can do about it now. 

7 hours ago, Bookmark311 said:

One of my PS said around 500 words and mine is 511 word. Would it be screened out.. I was told that’s still around 500 words

i am started to worry now!! There was no strict word limit on mine

i think its fine - i went over 500 for one that said approximately and asked the coordinator if i would be penalized and was told no. by two programs. if a program says no more than or max that's a different story. you'll be fine!