Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020/2021

4 minutes ago, erenjaeger said:

Hey I have similar stats and was wondering if you had gotten an interview elsewhere? Just out of curiosity, you don't have to answer if you're uncomfortable doing so

So I've applied to Ottawa and Toronto for the past 3 cycles and last year I applied to McMaster as well and did not get a single interview. This year I applied to Toronto and Ottawa (wGPA for Ottawa is 3.93) and got interviews for both! Literally spent a month just improving my typing speed for Casper so I think I did better for casper as well and like I said my essays and reference letters were much more solid this year. For example instead using my MSc supervisor as ref, used a postdoc in the lab who knew me better. So I think my application finally came together this year. Feel free to reach out, looking at the stats on this forum, I never thought I would get an interview at Toronto with a 3.87 GPA.

1 minute ago, Kavmeister said:

Does anyone have any idea about the number of invitations sent for each wave? Are they relatively equal or is the first wave the largest and then it decreases in the 2nd and 3rd?

Im assuming each wave is meant to fill up the upcoming interview slot. However, if people have conflicts they could be moved to the next date, so there may be some interviews sent out with less than 2 weeks notice. To get a rough estimate just divide the interview spots by 3 to get the number of spots per date and you'll have an idea of how many interviews are sent out. At least that's what makes sense to me.

36 minutes ago, GOODATGETTINGREJECTED said:

I haven’t been closely following along here... Can someone explain to me:

- which interview invite wave was today? second wave? third wave?

- how many waves are we expecting?

- when can we expect the next wave?

Second wave, expecting 3, third wave either next week or the week after (likely the week after).

36 minutes ago, GOODATGETTINGREJECTED said:

I haven’t been closely following along here... Can someone explain to me:

- which interview invite wave was today? second wave? third wave?

- how many waves are we expecting?

- when can we expect the next wave?

This is the second of 3 waves.  The next should be within the next 2 weeks (at least 2 weeks before the March 21 interview date)

2 hours ago, 24KaratPureAu said:

Still waiting to hear back. Do you think they will start rejecting more applicants? (because I saw a couple post days ago stating R). 

I have my fingers crossed for all that are still waiting to hear back.

This is the way!

Rejections are sent out along with interviews but people don't post about them much (understandable). Most people will get their rejection in the big final wave or soon after. I remember I got mine a day or two after the big wave one year. 

14 hours ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

Rejections are sent out along with interviews but people don't post about them much (understandable). Most people will get their rejection in the big final wave or soon after. I remember I got mine a day or two after the big wave one year. 

Does this mean that people received rejections yesterday but just haven't posted about it?

Result: Interview (MD) 

GPA: 3.96 wGPA 

MCAT: 516

ECs: few years' of varied research, student leadership roles, varied volunteering, in top percentile for UBC. 

Essays: wrote /re-wrote/started over again ..ditto for weeks. 

2020/21:

Applications: Dalhousie, Western, Calgary, Queens, McMaster,  Manitoba,, Alberta, Toronto, Saskatchewan, McGill Ottawa UBC

Interviews: Queens, Western, McMaster, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Toronto

1 minute ago, scoobydoo1623 said:

For people getting interview invites, are you guys taking into account that the wGPA formula has changed for UofT starting this cycle? 

These wGPA seem REALLY high considering the new wGPA formula was expected to tank everyone's wGPA relative to previous cycles. Just checking... LOL 

I think you’re over exaggerating the impact of the new wGPA formulas for those that have high cGPAs. My UofT wGPA went from 3.96 to 3.94 with the new formula. Someone with a 4.0 cGPA wouldn’t even be impacted.

All this shows is that while UofT may have changed their formula, they still care about high GPA just as much as previous cycles.

18 minutes ago, naptime98 said:

I think you’re over exaggerating the impact of the new wGPA formulas for those that have high cGPAs. My UofT wGPA went from 3.96 to 3.94 with the new formula. Someone with a 4.0 cGPA wouldn’t even be impacted.

All this shows is that while UofT may have changed their formula, they still care about high GPA just as much as previous cycles.

That's obvious. And I do not think it's possible for me to exaggerate the impact of the new wGPA formula for those with high cGPAs because there essentially is no impact. I think that's clearly understood with this new wGPA formula and was not really what I was trying to allude to. 

But, I guess that's the controversy with this new wGPA formula, which was meant to "even the playing field"... I would assume that because most applicants do NOT have ~4.00 cGPA, this would mean that interview invites would show people with slightly lower wGPAs getting invites this cycle in particular. Based on what has been posted so far (keeping in mind, poster bias), this does not appear to be the case. That's why I just wanted to check if people were aware of the new wGPA formula, since these very high wGPA invites might be misleading to premed hopefuls! 

I have vowed not to post my stats on this, but to give some hope to applicants who are worried about the disproportionate impact of the new wGPA formula on their chances for an interview: 

I interviewed for the first weekend, as a grad applicant, with a wGPA of 3.80 (old wGPA would've been >3.90). I hope this gives most applicants some hope! Hang in there! 

52 minutes ago, scoobydoo1623 said:

That's obvious. And I do not think it's possible for me to exaggerate the impact of the new wGPA formula for those with high cGPAs because there essentially is no impact. I think that's clearly understood with this new wGPA formula and was not really what I was trying to allude to. 

But, I guess that's the controversy with this new wGPA formula, which was meant to "even the playing field"... I would assume that because most applicants do NOT have ~4.00 cGPA, this would mean that interview invites would show people with slightly lower wGPAs getting invites this cycle in particular. Based on what has been posted so far (keeping in mind, poster bias), this does not appear to be the case. That's why I just wanted to check if people were aware of the new wGPA formula, since these very high wGPA invites might be misleading to premed hopefuls! 

I have vowed not to post my stats on this, but to give some hope to applicants who are worried about the disproportionate impact of the new wGPA formula on their chances for an interview: 

I interviewed for the first weekend, as a grad applicant, with a wGPA of 3.80 (old wGPA would've been >3.90). I hope this gives most applicants some hope! Hang in there! 

Hey! I'm a fourth year with 3.81 GPA: got an Interview! 

This is late but thought I'd throw this in in case it's of help to anyone

TIME STAMP: Feb. 19 10:20 AM  

Result: Interview (MD) IP

GPA:  3.99 cGPA

MCAT: Met cutoffs (CARS 126)

ECs: A couple long term volunteer commitments (6+ years), winning some science case competitions, miscellaneous things like interests in coding, statistics, variety of unpaid research positions, TA-ed for a year, no club leadership or school activity involvement

Essays: Spent about a month on them, asked three friends from different fields to closely look over them a few times

Year: Fourth year undergrad

Second time applying with no interviews last cycle- my GPA and ECs haven't changed much from last year so it really strikes me how hard this process is to predict. Best of luck to everyone and hang in there for those who are waiting <3

7 hours ago, scoobydoo1623 said:

Thank you for this. Hope your interview went well! I am a grad applicant whose GPA has dropped considerably with the new formula and surprised with the distinct lack of sub 3.95 GPA posters invited to interview this year. Did you feel the need to write an AEE?