Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020/2021


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, sympatheticsystem said:

wGPA... I was scared to post because I felt like I didn't deserve it seeing 3.99's rejected... so seeing that other post made me feel better

Thank you for the response! That gives me some hope then :), excluding the ECs and essays of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we assume that the rejections for the third wave have not come out yet?  React to this post if you haven’t received an email the wait is brutal 

TIME STAMP: 2:03 ET Result: R  GPA:  3.8 OMSAS, unsure of eligibility for wGPA  ECs: no research. Very thin on volunteering/employment/leadership positions. National team and NCAA D1 at

I'm in the webinar and they said first batch of interview invites will be released today. Stay positive everyone and good luck!!

1 hour ago, throwaway3321 said:

Thank you for this. Hope your interview went well! I am a grad applicant whose GPA has dropped considerably with the new formula and surprised with the distinct lack of sub 3.95 GPA posters invited to interview this year. Did you feel the need to write an AEE?

Thank you! Wishing you luck with securing an invite.

I did not write an AEE! My wGPA was simply 3.80 with the new formula. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 1:26 PM, rainy said:

Yes, you say No and give dtails of your conflict. They will reschedule you.

I got rescheduled for March 7.

@noku95 @rainyhey! How long did it take for U of T to get back to you with a new interview date, after you submitted the conflict form? I’m assigned March 7, but I said I have a conflict the morning of. I’m hoping they give me March 21, but I’m wondering if they might give me the afternoon time slot for March 7. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 3:23 PM, scoobydoo1623 said:

For people getting interview invites, are you guys taking into account that the wGPA formula has changed for UofT starting this cycle? 

These wGPA seem REALLY high considering the new wGPA formula was expected to tank most people's wGPA relative to previous cycles. Just checking... LOL 

This is my first year applying so I was wondering if somebody could explain how the wGPA formula changed for this cycle? Thank you!!! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mondaymorning said:

This is my first year applying so I was wondering if somebody could explain how the wGPA formula changed for this cycle? Thank you!!! :)

Previously, they dropped the lowest 4.0 FCE worth of grades if you had taken a full course-load throughout undergrad. Now, it is a maximum of 2.0 FCE that get dropped. Essentially, the new wGPA is much closer to true cGPA than the previous wGPA was, so GPAs should be lower this year than previous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey so because I'm getting a lot of messages I'm going to share all my stats so that it helps others!

TIME STAMP: Feb. 19 9:50 AM EST

Result: Interview (MD) IP

GPA:  3.81 wGPA

MCAT: 127/128/127/128

ECs: Two NSERCs, did research since first year (3 publications), TA'd 2 courses, tutor, hospital volunteer, part time job (server), another part time job (physio clinic receptionist), did hospital research during summer of first year, church choir for 5 years, president of three clubs, exec for two clubs, Let's talk science volunteer for 3 years and a bit of other things 

Essays: Spent a long time on them (about a month) and had people look it over. Structured but casual essay. I also wrote an AEE 

Year: 4th year 

 

Hope this helps everyone get some insight! I know people say GPA is #1 and I may not make it past the interview but clearly it isn't everything! my wGPA for western + queens was 3.96 and I got an R from Western and Queens so it really just shows how there is no one size fits all answer for med school in Ontario! I wasn't going to apply because the impression I got was anything less than 3.9 at uoft would be tossed, I'm happy I decided to go through with applying because I really wasn't going to! I had all my baskets in western because I knew my MCAT was low for Queens! 

 

Good luck to everyone else! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sympatheticsystem said:

Hey so because I'm getting a lot of messages I'm going to share all my stats so that it helps others!

TIME STAMP: Feb. 19 9:50 AM EST

Result: Interview (MD) IP

GPA:  3.81 wGPA

MCAT: 127/128/127/128

ECs: Two NSERCs, did research since first year (3 publications), TA'd 2 courses, tutor, hospital volunteer, part time job (server), another part time job (physio clinic receptionist), did hospital research during summer of first year, church choir for 5 years, president of three clubs, exec for two clubs, Let's talk science volunteer for 3 years and a bit of other things 

Essays: Spent a long time on them (about a month) and had people look it over. Structured but casual essay. I also wrote an AEE 

Year: 4th year 

 

Hope this helps everyone get some insight! I know people say GPA is #1 and I may not make it past the interview but clearly it isn't everything! my wGPA for western + queens was 3.96 and I got an R from Western and Queens so it really just shows how there is no one size fits all answer for med school in Ontario! I wasn't going to apply because the impression I got was anything less than 3.9 at uoft would be tossed, I'm happy I decided to go through with applying because I really wasn't going to! I had all my baskets in western because I knew my MCAT was low for Queens! 

 

Good luck to everyone else! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have mad anxiety rn - got an invite to toronto for march 7th and responded yes to the survey and everything. I know the email said that confirmation email would be sent by the 24th (tomorrow) to assign us a time slot but I have huge trust issues with online surveys - just making sure im not the only invitee who HAS NOT gotten a confirmation email yet after filling out the survey ?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, obiwan said:

i have mad anxiety rn - got an invite to toronto for march 7th and responded yes to the survey and everything. I know the email said that confirmation email would be sent by the 24th (tomorrow) to assign us a time slot but I have huge trust issues with online surveys - just making sure im not the only invitee who HAS NOT gotten a confirmation email yet after filling out the survey ?? 

I also haven't received anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished the tech test and wanted to clarify something. 

For the 3 minutes allotted for reading and thinking about the question, are we allowed to have a pen and paper and jot down notes of what I might want to say? Also, even though I didn't click on the 'start recording' button, can they still see us during those 3 minutes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, Captrex_501stlegion said:

Im assuming each wave is meant to fill up the upcoming interview slot. However, if people have conflicts they could be moved to the next date, so there may be some interviews sent out with less than 2 weeks notice. To get a rough estimate just divide the interview spots by 3 to get the number of spots per date and you'll have an idea of how many interviews are sent out. At least that's what makes sense to me.

Does this mean that someone who gets an interview with less than 2 weeks notice (after the wave) were lower on the ranking list?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ACROBATIC123 said:

Does this mean that someone who gets an interview with less than 2 weeks notice (after the wave) were lower on the ranking list? And they were accomodated in there because others got moved to the next interview date?

I wouldn't say lower on the ranking. Their file was likely reviewed later is all. But yes, they got that date only because someone turned it down. Otherwise they would've been selected for the next date. UofT won't compromise on the quality of interviewees because they're filling a vacancy haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ACROBATIC123 said:

Does this mean that someone who gets an interview with less than 2 weeks notice (after the wave) were lower on the ranking list? And they were accomodated in there because others got moved to the next interview date?

No one really knows this for sure, but given that Toronto tries to give everyone 2 weeks to prepare and sort of set this as the “fair/expected” amount of time, the speculation is that getting an invite after the big wave and with less than 2 weeks notice usually means that a space unexpectedly opened up and someone scooped it up out of a pool of waiting applicants. Thing is, that can mean that either you were on the wait list due to a lower score, or just that reviewers got to your application later and you were supposed to interview later, but since the spot opened up you might as well go now, and there’s no way to tell which is the case. Good news is that the interview is worth enough to overcome a slightly lower file score even if that is the case, and plenty of people with late invites get in, so I wouldn’t worry about it :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheFlyGuy said:

No one really knows this for sure, but given that Toronto tries to give everyone 2 weeks to prepare and sort of set this as the “fair/expected” amount of time, the speculation is that getting an invite after the big wave and with less than 2 weeks notice usually means that a space unexpectedly opened up and someone scooped it up out of a pool of waiting applicants. Thing is, that can mean that either you were on the wait list due to a lower score, or just that reviewers got to your application later and you were supposed to interview later, but since the spot opened up you might as well go now, and there’s no way to tell which is the case. Good news is that the interview is worth enough to overcome a slightly lower file score even if that is the case, and plenty of people with late invites get in, so I wouldn’t worry about it :) 

Thank you for that! So there are people with late invites who get in eh? I'd think if interview is worth 50%, and the late invitees were "low-ranked", they'd have to do extremely well in the interview (compared to others) to make the final cut... but if there are people that have made it in then that's reassuring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...