Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020/2021

15 hours ago, snowywong88 said:

I think I was on this "shortlist" of people on the interview waitlist for the March.7th interview. I'm curious if this means I was lower in the ranking :( as I wasn't given the interview during the 1st wave of invites? 

Not that anyone knows the exact answer here - but you could also think that your file review was perhaps just complete after the "batch" invites had already been sent and then somebody cancelled theirs and they gave it to the people who had their reviews just completed to fill up the spots? the file reviews were MAYBE just not complete until the big wave time. You would have probably been in the "main" list for the next interview date but the timing just made it possible to fit you into the March 7th date :)  speculation of course just trying to think of the best :)  

8 hours ago, behappyitsokay said:

Not that anyone knows the exact answer here - but you could also think that your file review was perhaps just complete after the "batch" invites had already been sent and then somebody cancelled theirs and they gave it to the people who had their reviews just completed to fill up the spots? the file reviews were MAYBE just not complete until the big wave time. You would have probably been in the "main" list for the next interview date but the timing just made it possible to fit you into the March 7th date :)  speculation of course just trying to think of the best :)  

Haha optimistic, love it! Thank you :). Yea, I also thought of that alternative but so many people were talking about a "waitlist" so I just started overthinking

Got the official R just now. Also the last R for the cycle so no med school for me this year :(

TIME STAMP: 10:52 AM MST

Result: Regrets OOP

GPA:  3.93 OMSAS

MCAT: 127/128/129/126

ECs: One job at a summer camp, lots of volunteering (but my long-term position was cancelled cause COVID), no research that I could report at the time of application, lots of academic scholarships, long-term music hobbies, one essay published in my uni's journal.

Essays: Thought they were pretty good. Had a few friends review them and worked on them for a month.

Year: 4th year, graduating this spring.

Good luck to everyone who got an invite!

TIME STAMP: 10:54 AM MST March 10

Result: Regrets

GPA:  3.88 wGPA

MCAT: 131/131/131/132

ECs: I'm in my 30s and have had a different career for the past decade, including several years in a leadership role. Plenty of unique volunteering and community involvement too. No real research other than a summer of NSERC in 1st year (a really long time ago). My ECs are strong (invites from 7 schools this cycle including EC-heavy ones).

Essays: They felt solid for sure, lots of work, lots of review.

Year: graduated BSc over 10 years ago.

This was definitely the school where I expected an R based on my impression of the importance of GPA and research.

•  

TIME STAMP: 1:19 pm March 10

GPA:  4.0 GPA

MCAT: 510, met minimum thresholds

ECs: Had many jobs since I was 14 yrs old, among which tutoring was a big part, volunteered for years at a women’s shelter and at a hospital and in other little things here and there, was on a competitive volleyball team in CEGEP (yes I’m from QC), for research I did a brain imaging internship after which I got a publication

Essays: I was confident in them, especially since I pride myself in my writing

Year: graduating BSc this semester

28 minutes ago, CanNonTrad said:

TIME STAMP: 10:54 AM MST March 10

GPA:  3.88 wGPA

MCAT: 131/131/131/132

ECs: I'm in my 30s and have had a different career for the past decade, including several years in a leadership role. Plenty of unique volunteering and community involvement too. No real research other than a summer of NSERC in 1st year (a really long time ago). My ECs are strong (invites from 7 schools this cycle including EC-heavy ones).

Essays: They felt solid for sure, lots of work, lots of review.

Year: graduated BSc over 10 years ago.

This was definitely the school where I expected an R based on my impression of the importance of GPA and research.

With such a great MCAT score and really decent GPA, I guess this does demonstrate the importance of research for UofT, but still surprised about the R for you and I am sure you will get in somewhere else (especially with your life / leadership experiences)!  

22 hours ago, Chocolatelover said:

It might be a good thing. Idk. Maybe you're still on the waitlist in case someone cancels. Trying to think positively (:

Hmmm... There are let's say around 200 who get interviewed per interview date... if the interview is worth 50% as UofT says, then those who creep in at the very end of the list because they were on the waitlist will have to outperform pretty much everyone through their interview scores to make the 40-50% of people who actually get invited...

43 minutes ago, plansformed2015 said:

With such a great MCAT score and really decent GPA, I guess this does demonstrate the importance of research for UofT, but still surprised about the R for you and I am sure you will get in somewhere else (especially with your life / leadership experiences)!  

Thanks! The thing about UofT is that the MCAT is just a cutoff, so the high score doesn't matter at all. My ECs are strong but evidently not strong enough to counterbalance what amounts to a mediocre GPA (for UofT) and a lack of research. Oh well!

16 minutes ago, CanNonTrad said:

Thanks! The thing about UofT is that the MCAT is just a cutoff, so the high score doesn't matter at all. My ECs are strong but evidently not strong enough to counterbalance what amounts to a mediocre GPA (for UofT) and a lack of research. Oh well!

Yes for sure -- and obviously UofT is the odd university out since it looks like you received interviews at all of the other schools you have applied to, which is pretty amazing!  Best of luck!  :)

TIME STAMP: 1:20 EST March 10 (Sorry for the late post-took a day to stop crying lol)

GPA:  3.92 OMSAS (not eligible for wGPA)

MCAT: 517 (131/125/131/130 

ECs: Lots of club involvement during undergrad (mentorship programs, tutoring, cultural awareness campaigns), Competitive dancer (10+ years), Hospital volunteering for a couple years, strong research experience (multiple conference presentation, 3 first author papers, 2 second author papers), Clinical research involvement, strong references from world renowned cardiac surgeon. Have my own construction company too that I run, included that on my app aswell. 

Essays: Felt good, spent lots of time writing and reviewing (over a month)

Year: 2nd year MSc

I was really hoping for UofT, my dream school. Guess I gotta keep my head high and try again next year ! Cheers to everyone who got an interview! Goodluck! 

6 hours ago, MedschoolDreams101 said:

TIME STAMP: 1:20 EST March 10 (Sorry for the late post-took a day to stop crying lol)

ECs: Lots of club involvement during undergrad (mentorship programs, tutoring, cultural awareness campaigns), Competitive dancer (10+ years), Hospital volunteering for a couple years, strong research experience (multiple conference presentation, 3 first author papers, 2 second author papers), Clinical research involvement, strong references from world renowned cardiac surgeon. Have my own construction company too that I run, included that on my app aswell. 

I was really hoping for UofT, my dream school. Guess I gotta keep my head high and try again next year ! Cheers to everyone who got an interview! Goodluck! 

Again -- sorry to hear you did not have luck with UofT but you have excellent stats and I am sure you will get in next year!  :)

9 hours ago, MedschoolDreams101 said:

I had a similar profile to yours (actually a little less on the ECs, wow 3 first author papers that's amazing!!) and got the R as well :(  did you get any interviews elsewhere? 

On 3/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, shrek4life said:

I had a similar profile to yours (actually a little less on the ECs, wow 3 first author papers that's amazing!!) and got the R as well :(  did you get any interviews elsewhere? 

Thanks for the kinds words. Unfortunately I did not. I dont have a full course load each year so that eliminated Western and Ottawa for me. Also my CARS is wayy too low for Mac and Queens, so that rejection wasnt much of a a shock . UofT was my one hope, oh well, gotta try again next year. 

How about yourself? Any interviews anywhere ?