Premed 101 Forums

Best route and chances?

I know theres like 50 million of these posts all over this site but i figured why not  make it 50 million and 1 :) So i finished up my HBsc last april and got a 3.5 gpa (3.05/3.43/3.94 (co-op so only winter 2019 grades, took courses in the summer 3.62)/ 3.67), i also took the MCAT and scored a 510 (127/126/128/129). I only applied this cycle to UBC, Mac, western, ottawa, queens and UofT. I've only heard back from UBC with an R in the 25th - 49.99th percentile bracket (my converted aGPA was like an 81.07 and im IP for BC). I dont think my ECs are bad but regardless im working on getting them better, but what would be my best choice in this situation? I know my GPA is probably the main thing holding me back so should i do a second undergrad? Would 2 years of 4.0s even bump up my cGPA significantly? Or should i just do a full other 4 year undergrad to bump my cGPA up more? I appreciate the help guys!

I would definitely recommend more undergrad to bump up your grades- I personally don't think a full four more years is necessary, but you could always enter a 4 year program and apply to med each year during it! You mention cGPA but the reality is that most schools don't use that- Queen's uses last 2 years, Western best 2 years, Ottawa last 3 years, etc. You already have one pretty good year, so for all three of those schools you only need 2 more years to be a lot more competitive. And even for cGPA schools, 2 years of 4.0 will for sure help (although of course it won't raise you to a 4.0 cGPA or anything like that)

Gotcha okay, i read somewhere tho that some schools dont let you apply if your second undergrad isnt completed yet? I emailed UBC but they said it wasnt the case but i think Western says that you have to wait for it to be over. Do you by any chance know how i would be able to calculate my new cGPA should i take a 2 year undergrad at a different university than my original undergrad?

On 1/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, fannyfrankfurter said:

Gotcha okay, i read somewhere tho that some schools dont let you apply if your second undergrad isnt completed yet? I emailed UBC but they said it wasnt the case but i think Western says that you have to wait for it to be over. Do you by any chance know how i would be able to calculate my new cGPA should i take a 2 year undergrad at a different university than my original undergrad?

I'm not super knowledgeable about that but I read the Western website and it does say you have to have completed the second degree or be in the final year of it, so if you do a 2 year degree you wouldn't be able to apply in your first year but you could in your second. The requirements will definitely be different for all schools though, so take a look at each school's website to see how they handle it (and email them if unsure). As for cGPA, I assume you'd just have to convert all of your grades from each school to OMSAS format and then average them

7 hours ago, Psych said:

I'm not super knowledgeable about that but I read the Western website and it does say you have to have completed the second degree or be in the final year of it, so if you do a 2 year degree you wouldn't be able to apply in your first year but you could in your second. The requirements will definitely be different for all schools though, so take a look at each school's website to see how they handle it (and email them if unsure). As for cGPA, I assume you'd just have to convert all of your grades from each school to OMSAS format and then average them

Oh right ok that makes sense, does that second ug have to also be an honours if my first ug was an honours bsc? Thanks for your help btw i really appreciate it