Premed 101 Forums

Transfer Credit from Minor and Major to BSc

1997_axrlt

Hey everyone, I have tried looking up the forum and also written to the admission office, but I haven't gotten a clear answer, so I would like to know if anyone have experienced something as I did. 

So basically, after graduating from my first undergraduate, I decided to pursue a minor in arts and science during my first year (which accounted for 30 credits) and in my second year (this year), I started doing a major in Psychology (Another 30 credits). However, I would like to transfer all my credits from my minor and major to the Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology which I have applied to go in next year. The main difference between major + minor at the University of Montreal is that it give a bacholor's degree without specialization (more like a cumulative degree - baccalauréat par cumul), whereas the Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology gives a Bsc in Psychology). 

My question is, would it make me uneligible to apply to Mcgill using my second degree as basis of admission, where I need at least 45 new graded credits towards a bachelor degree if I'm transfering them from my major and minor towards the more specific Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology? 

So to summarize: 

Graduated from first bachelor degree in Biomedical Science

Second degree study: 

• First year - Minor in Arts and Science (30 credits)
  • Second year - Major in Psychology (30 credits)
  • -------- > Transfer of these 60 credits into my third year
  • Third year : Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology (60 credits transfered + 30 credits to be done and will graduate with the BSc in Psychology

Thank you for your help!

Good question and complicated scenario! 

I believe you can apply, since your new major is accepting those credits! but you have to talk to your advisor whether the grades for the minor are going to show up on ur transcript! IF it does, you are good!

if your transfer grades from your minor are not going to show up on ur transcript, you still need another 5 courses to be able to apply!

It all comes down to what is going to show up on ur transcript! I m assuming that it should, since you have taken them in the same university! 

17 hours ago, 1997vna said:

Hey everyone, I have tried looking up the forum and also written to the admission office, but I haven't gotten a clear answer, so I would like to know if anyone have experienced something as I did. 

So basically, after graduating from my first undergraduate, I decided to pursue a minor in arts and science during my first year (which accounted for 30 credits) and in my second year (this year), I started doing a major in Psychology (Another 30 credits). However, I would like to transfer all my credits from my minor and major to the Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology which I have applied to go in next year. The main difference between major + minor at the University of Montreal is that it give a bacholor's degree without specialization (more like a cumulative degree - baccalauréat par cumul), whereas the Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology gives a Bsc in Psychology). 

My question is, would it make me uneligible to apply to Mcgill using my second degree as basis of admission, where I need at least 45 new graded credits towards a bachelor degree if I'm transfering them from my major and minor towards the more specific Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology? 

So to summarize: 

Graduated from first bachelor degree in Biomedical Science

Second degree study: 

• First year - Minor in Arts and Science (30 credits)
  • Second year - Major in Psychology (30 credits)
  • -------- > Transfer of these 60 credits into my third year
  • Third year : Bachelor degree specialized in Psychology (60 credits transfered + 30 credits to be done and will graduate with the BSc in Psychology

Thank you for your help!

So, from what I understand you got your first degree at UdeM in biomedical sciences, but you want to apply to McGill using your second degree as basis of admission.

I think you really need to check with UdeM because the important thing is that UdeM recognizes your three years as one degree, like it should appear as one degree on your transcript and McGill will acknowledge that as one degree. I was actually in a similar situation, but I was going to McGill so I think that makes the situation a bit more simpler in my case. At McGill how it works is basically the difference between transferring between programs and going to your advisor and asking for your classes from your previous program to be credited into the new one and all of those would be counted towards one degree. On the other hand, if you re-apply into a program, that is a totally different thing, but you could still apply to have classes credited. Your best bet is to make sure with UdeM, your two years in your minor (arts and science) and major in psychology (30 credits) all count towards your final degree that you'll be graduating in basically such that you'll have 60 credits in that degree specialized in psychology and then after doing your last 30 credits, you'd graduate from that same degree with a BSc in Psychology. McGill would recognize that for sure as one degree but again just make sure it is clear on your UdeM transcript that it's all for that one degree.

I hope this made sense and helped!

5 hours ago, imz said:

So, from what I understand you got your first degree at UdeM in biomedical sciences, but you want to apply to McGill using your second degree as basis of admission.

I think you really need to check with UdeM because the important thing is that UdeM recognizes your three years as one degree, like it should appear as one degree on your transcript and McGill will acknowledge that as one degree. I was actually in a similar situation, but I was going to McGill so I think that makes the situation a bit more simpler in my case. At McGill how it works is basically the difference between transferring between programs and going to your advisor and asking for your classes from your previous program to be credited into the new one and all of those would be counted towards one degree. On the other hand, if you re-apply into a program, that is a totally different thing, but you could still apply to have classes credited. Your best bet is to make sure with UdeM, your two years in your minor (arts and science) and major in psychology (30 credits) all count towards your final degree that you'll be graduating in basically such that you'll have 60 credits in that degree specialized in psychology and then after doing your last 30 credits, you'd graduate from that same degree with a BSc in Psychology. McGill would recognize that for sure as one degree but again just make sure it is clear on your UdeM transcript that it's all for that one degree.

I hope this made sense and helped!

Hey Imz, 

Thank you for your answer, I will definitely do that. I have spoken to my academic advisor before and he said that although it wont ''appear'' as it's one program, the credits that will be transfered into my BSc in psychology will  count into the GPA of the BSc. in Psychology. At the same time, the credits that would have been transfered will not count in the GPA of the minor and major and these two programs would be ''nullified'' in some sort. So in the transcript, there would only be a GPA for BSc in psychology and not for the minor or Major. 

21 hours ago, veromedico said:

Good question and complicated scenario! 

I believe you can apply, since your new major is accepting those credits! but you have to talk to your advisor whether the grades for the minor are going to show up on ur transcript! IF it does, you are good!

if your transfer grades from your minor are not going to show up on ur transcript, you still need another 5 courses to be able to apply!

It all comes down to what is going to show up on ur transcript! I m assuming that it should, since you have taken them in the same university! 

I do believe they are going to show up! My advisor told me that all transferred credits (GPA included) will be counted towards the cumulative GPA of the BSc. :)