Premed 101 Forums

Is 80+ at UWO actually a 4.0 or is it a 3.7??

Hello,

I am applying to American Medical Schools for this upcoming cycle and I am confused about the GPA conversion. As you know, UWO gives percentages instead of letter grades. However, when I looked at their letter grades, I noticed at UWO only gives A,B,C,D and excludes + and -. When converting my grades to AMCAS gpa, do I convert my 80-84 courses to a 3.7(A-) or 4.0 (A)? - Is it true that all grades 80+ count as a 4.0 or do I convert it to a 3.7 according to OMSAS?

I am applying to an Israel school that uses the same GPA calculator as AMCAS however it does not compute my GPA for me.

Please advise! Thanks :)

You follow AMCAS. OMSAS has nothing to do with AMCAS.

It is stated fairly intuitively in their guide: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/78/1c/781c2478-d685-4f1e-ae78-07a765ad4e61/amcas_grade_conversion_guide_students.pdf

UWO indeed is only ABCDF, so you follow the 3rd table on page 3;   therefore yes, "A" = 4.0.  

It works out great for those who have low "A's in the 80s,  so it strongly helps students who otherwise would be A-(3.7) students had they attended other schools.  But if you are a B+ student, you get shafted since you otherwise would have had 3.3's but instead get stuck with 3.0s.    

4 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

You follow AMCAS. OMSAS has nothing to do with AMCAS.

It is stated fairly intuitively in their guide: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/78/1c/781c2478-d685-4f1e-ae78-07a765ad4e61/amcas_grade_conversion_guide_students.pdf

UWO indeed is only ABCDF, so you follow the 3rd table on page 3;   therefore yes, "A" = 4.0.  

It works out great for those who have low "A's in the 80s,  so it strongly helps students who otherwise would be A-(3.7) students had they attended other schools.  But if you are a B+ student, you get shafted since you otherwise would have had 3.3's but instead get stuck with 3.0s.    

Thank so much! This helps me out a lot!