Premed 101 Forums

Getting a haircut pre-interview?

FifthCycle

Yes... I am actually asking this very silly question. This may apply more directly to the men interviewing this year, but I'm assuming with additional forthcoming lockdown many us probably won't be able to access a haircutter.

Superficial? Yes. But personal grooming matters.

What is everyone thinking here? Not so fresh fades at-home fades (fresh enough to look tidy, but not so fresh to look like obvious?)

It's not a silly question. Some will probably come here and tell you that you won't be judged on your hair. The reality is many of your interviewers (especially the older ones) may think untraditional hairstyles are unprofessional/unseemingly/unfitting for a future physician. they won't explicitly say or write this when evaluating your interview performance, but it could totally play a factor, even subconsciously. I'd say just get any standard "professional" haircut. you can manbun it and dye it pink once you've got the acceptance.

On 1/18/2021 at 12:39 AM, FifthCycle said:

Yes... I am actually asking this very silly question. This may apply more directly to the men interviewing this year, but I'm assuming with additional forthcoming lockdown many us probably won't be able to access a haircutter.

Superficial? Yes. But personal grooming matters.

What is everyone thinking here? Not so fresh fades at-home fades (fresh enough to look tidy, but not so fresh to look like obvious?)

worse than what they think is what you think ( and you have already stated what you think). 

which mean it could be an issue - thinking something about yourself is off can have you behave in a way that actually does weaken your chances (which has been studied to death in psychology ha). 

Not sure what to do about it mind you - the situation right now is what it is. 

Ha, and as staff I will say I am starting to look like a member of a 60s rock band at this point. That isn't going to change anytime soon. 

Edited by rmorelan