Premed 101 Forums

What is UofA's Interview/Applicant %?

19 minutes ago, Weltschmerz said:

UME does not disclose this information.

Overall, ~528 applicants are interviewed, and I am guessing there are ~2000 applications total.

I know UofC had about 1700 applicants- but only 1550 were legit, so assuming Alberta is similar, there should be atleast 30% interview rate (which is pretty good).

Anyone know what post interview acceptance rates?

16 minutes ago, Johnny G said:

I know UofC had about 1700 applicants- but only 1550 were legit, so assuming Alberta is similar, there should be atleast 30% interview rate (which is pretty good).

UofC got over 2000 applications this year but they didn't say how many met the minimum requirements. Also pretty sure UofA usually gets more applications because their OOP GPA requirement is lower, but i dunno how many interview spots are reserved for IP vs. OOP.

If they interview 528 applicants for 162 spots, the post interview acceptance rate would be ~31%

3 hours ago, mscpmed said:

If they interview 528 applicants for 162 spots, the post interview acceptance rate would be ~31%

This figure doesn't account for waitlist offers which raises the acceptance rate. Additionally, only a maximum of ~15% of the class (if I remember correctly) can be OOP, so the post interview acceptance rate would differ for these two pools. 

3 hours ago, Johnny G said:

A 30% interview rate is not "pretty good"...this is from a pool of highly qualified applicants. It's not a 30% chance from a pool of randoms applying. Some people apply for years without an interview.

6 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

A 30% interview rate is not "pretty good"...this is from a pool of highly qualified applicants. It's not a 30% chance from a pool of randoms applying. Some people apply for years without an interview.

Well when you consider the rates at Ontarian schools (10-15%), I'd say 30% is pretty good too. After all, above a certain point, isn't med admission based a lot on luck too?

10 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

Well when you consider the rates at Ontarian schools (10-15%), I'd say 30% is pretty good too. After all, above a certain point, isn't med admission based a lot on luck too?

I agree with you on both statements, especially that being from outside of Ontario helps. This does not mean that 30% is good... besides it's probably closer to 25% since UofA gets 2000+ applicants. 

2 hours ago, offmychestplease said:

yeah 30% fairly easy to be honest. Compared to where im from with sub 5% interview rates, 30% is chill

Everyone is getting stressed in this thread when there's no need. Regardless of interview applicant percentage of getting in, if you are lucky enough to even land an interview just give it your best shot. Everything is out of your hands, like a person above said, it's not a 30% chance of getting in as your pre interview score has a big effect too. So my advice is just take a breath and shoot your best shot. 

On 1/19/2021 at 7:14 PM, interestedinrads said:

Good? yea. But it seems most people who say this are from Ontario where the data is way skewed to look worse because of the # of schools and how everyone applies to all schools

Oh no Im talking my home country where there are only 100 seats for about 30,000 applicants.

So Canada (Alberta especially) seems much easier in comparison

20 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

you must be on something good if you think a bunch of 17 year old's writing high school exams in India to get into medical school is in anyway comparable to what people have to do to get into medical school in Canada (many with multiple degrees, MCAT, years of EC/work/volunteering, Casper, references, extensive difficult interview, etc)

Generally I agree with most of the things you say on this site, but seriously, why do all of your replies just drip with condescension. There are humans on the other side of all of these screens.

44 minutes ago, naptime98 said:

Generally I agree with most of the things you say on this site, but seriously, why do all of your replies just drip with condescension. There are humans on the other side of all of these screens.

I didn't mean for it. OP was putting down getting into medical school being easy in Canada and I just gave them facts on why it is difficult.  I am from India myself which is why I used that example. 

1 hour ago, Johnny G said:

Nope, my home country has the same quality of applicants and produces same level of doctors, just that we have a sub 1% acceptance rate

Highly doubt it to be the case... if applicants are of the same quality, wouldn’t the top < 1% of the bunch be better than the top 30% of the bunch?

5 hours ago, Johnny G said:

and produces same level of doctors

In the most respectful way possible, this isn't true. A Canadian MD would provide more mileage in terms of where you can work as a physician, which is a reflection of both of liscensing/regulatory processes as well as the quality of schooling.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, keipop said:

Highly doubt it to be the case... if applicants are of the same quality, wouldn’t the top < 1% of the bunch be better than the top 30% of the bunch?

yepp they are prolly better doctors if anything haha

Canadian medicine is great, but not the worlds best at all

On 1/20/2021 at 11:56 AM, boymama20 said:

Everyone is getting stressed in this thread when there's no need. Regardless of interview applicant percentage of getting in, if you are lucky enough to even land an interview just give it your best shot. Everything is out of your hands, like a person above said, it's not a 30% chance of getting in as your pre interview score has a big effect too. So my advice is just take a breath and shoot your best shot. 

100% agree with this. Now after having gone through two application cycles where I have interviewed, and this year where I will again be interviewing.... What I can is that it really comes down to luck once you reach the interview phase. As much as you can prepare a ton and be as comfortable and ready to talk about your life and your interests, you can't control how the interviewer perceives you because of their own unconscious biases, and you can't control the competition and how other people perform in their interviews. You can only do your best.

I've heard so much contradictory advice from so many people who successfully got into medical school that I'm convinced that the entire process comes down to personal feeling and subjectiveness. You can only be comfortable in your own skin and give it your best shot.