Premed 101 Forums

Autumn 2021

Hey everyone, 

So as you may know, most of our classes and exams last semester were online so a lot of people cheated during exams (im like 99% sure) . Because of that, class averages have increased by 10 or even 15% (personal experience). I'm afraid that might affect our CRC. I was actually hoping mine would go up (first semester :34.6) but im kind of losing hope now.. Do you think its gonna be the same for everyone? I don't know how people can still get 37-38-39 and how are universities even gonna consider those, it can be really unfair for those who were actually honest. Do you guys mind sharing your CRC ? I wanna know if its actually possible to get into mcgill if I increase mine to at least 35 :) 

CRC is Cote R collégiale, which means they are probably med-p.

@roxeee keep in mind that everyone is in the same situation. So everyone’s CRC will drop because of people who cheated, because the gap between the class’ mean and their grade will be smaller. Also, the Casper and the CV can easily make or break an application. You will be competing only against people in the same situation as you.

Definitely possibly to get into Med-P with a 35 CRC if you have a good CV and Casper. Typically the last applicant interviewed is in the high 34s if I recall correctly, and the final selection process is solely based on interview performance.

As far as this semester went, I observed a similar increase in my science classes. I agree that it seems impossible to get a 38+ nowadays because the averages are higher, but weirdly enough, the standard devs are similar (if not higher than they used to be!). I don't necessarily think it is a matter of dishonesty; as we made the switch to online testing, my teachers had to allow open book exams and it was only expected for the averages to go up accordingly. I'm sure some people will still manage to do very well but I wouldn't worry too much. It's only a matter of days before our new R scores get calculated (tomorrow?) so we will figure out soon enough anyway :)

1 hour ago, Médicomage said:

CRC is Cote R collégiale, which means they are probably med-p.

@roxeee keep in mind that everyone is in the same situation. So everyone’s CRC will drop because of people who cheated, because the gap between the class’ mean and their grade will be smaller. Also, the Casper and the CV can easily make or break an application. You will be competing only against people in the same situation as you.

thanks a lot!! I m gonna be doing my casper test in a couple of hours and was kinda nervous but that made me feel a little better!! 

1 hour ago, soupefroide said:

Definitely possibly to get into Med-P with a 35 CRC if you have a good CV and Casper. Typically the last applicant interviewed is in the high 34s if I recall correctly, and the final selection process is solely based on interview performance.

As far as this semester went, I observed a similar increase in my science classes. I agree that it seems impossible to get a 38+ nowadays because the averages are higher, but weirdly enough, the standard devs are similar (if not higher than they used to be!). I don't necessarily think it is a matter of dishonesty; as we made the switch to online testing, my teachers had to allow open book exams and it was only expected for the averages to go up accordingly. I'm sure some people will still manage to do very well but I wouldn't worry too much. It's only a matter of days before our new R scores get calculated (tomorrow?) so we will figure out soon enough anyway :)

thank you!!!!! good luck for tomorrow!! I was actually wondering what do you think would be a good cv? I havent done THAT many things I know a lot of people who did hospital volunteering and received distinctions and its a little worrying I gotta say.. :(  

20 minutes ago, roxeee said:

thank you!!!!! good luck for tomorrow!! I was actually wondering what do you think would be a good cv? I havent done THAT many things I know a lot of people who did hospital volunteering and received distinctions and its a little worrying I gotta say.. :(  

It's never about quantity, it's about quality. Read carefully the instructions for the CV and try to answer every questions. Don't see it as a CV, but more like a personal statement that looks like a CV. They want to know how your past exeperiences helped you get the non academic attributes they are looking for. Which experience helped you build your stress management for example, which experience helped you be more empathethic, and stuff like that. Also, look at CanMeds and compare your experiences to these roles. Which one do you already have and during which experiences you had to show these roles?