Premed 101 Forums

McGill Interview Invites/Regrets 2021 | Invitations aux entrevues 2021

Médicomage

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :

Regrets :

3,79/4,33 Biomedical sciences and 4,23/4,33 biopharma (UdeM)

56 university credit - 

reason of rejection : Bachelor degree required ..... 

Past application from cegep :

med-p : rejected 34,9xx

dent-p : rejected : 34,9xx

Feeling on Casper thought I did well but I guess was not enough 

1 hour ago, Kazem said:

Hello :

Regrets :

56 university credit - 

Can you please ask to get your CRU and share it with us so we get a better idea of how a biomed/biopharm GPA translates into a CRU ?

5 hours ago, Kazem said:

Hello :

Regrets :

56 university credit - 

Hi there! Did you finish your biomedical sciences degree ? Or did you transfer from biomedical to biopharma? If you did not graduate from the biomedical sciences degree then you are not eligible to apply to Mcgill. Unlike the French schools in which you can apply even if you did not complete the undergrad, McGill requires the fulfillment of an undergraduate degree. It seems from the refusal reason that this is why you were refused (not due to your Casper so do not worry for French schools).

9 hours ago, medonedayyyyy said:

Hi there! Did you finish your biomedical sciences degree ? Or did you transfer from biomedical to biopharma? If you did not graduate from the biomedical sciences degree then you are not eligible to apply to Mcgill. Unlike the French schools in which you can apply even if you did not complete the undergrad, McGill requires the fulfillment of an undergraduate degree. It seems from the refusal reason that this is why you were refused (not due to your Casper so do not worry for French schools).

Hey,

As I said, I only have 56 university credits and 26 credits are from biomedical sciences and 30 from biopharma. I did not know that we had to finish a full degree before applying, but thank you ! 

2 hours ago, Kazem said:

Hey,

As I said, I only have 56 university credits and 26 credits are from biomedical sciences and 30 from biopharma. I did not know that we had to finish a full degree before applying, but thank you ! 

You can apply to McGill before finishing your degree, usually in your 3rd year (minimum of 60 consecutive graded credits), BUT your acceptance will be conditional in that you must finish your degree once you are accepted to McGill. In your case, it seems like you didn't have the minimum required 60 credits. I'd reach out to them and ask for clarification if this is true.

"Minimum of 60 consecutive graded credits complete at the time of application. Performance in courses not yet completed at the time of application must be comparable to the level of performance seen in the academic records submitted at the time of application. A marked decline in academic performance in the final term(s) may lead to withdrawal of an offer of admission."

"Require degrees to contain 50% credits completed at granting institution (can include colleges which are authorized in their jurisdiction to grant bachelor’s degrees). This is the standard “residency requirement”* for an institution to grant a degree at most Canadian universities, including McGill.  It may affect Thompson Rivers Open Learning or Athabasca University generalist degrees, which are more flexible."

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/requirements-edu

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/requirements-edu/degree-requirements

1 hour ago, abcd1288 said:

You can apply to McGill before finishing your degree, usually in your 3rd year (minimum of 60 consecutive graded credits), BUT your acceptance will be conditional in that you must finish your degree once you are accepted to McGill. Perhaps, in your case, it was because your credits are not consecutive? I'd reach out to them and ask for clarification.

"Require degrees to contain 50% credits completed at granting institution (can include colleges which are authorized in their jurisdiction to grant bachelor’s degrees). This is the standard “residency requirement”* for an institution to grant a degree at most Canadian universities, including McGill.  It may affect Thompson Rivers Open Learning or Athabasca University generalist degrees, which are more flexible."

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/requirements-edu

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/requirements-edu/degree-requirements

You are completely correct! My apologies, I realize my initial post was unclear and misleading. You can in fact apply in your last year and your acceptance would be conditional in that you complete your degree. Thank you for pointing that out!

I also think you are correct RE the 60 consecutive graded credits. It appears they had 56 graded credits, so they therefore did not meet the minimum requirement of 60 graded credits. But as you mentioned it is always good to double check with admissions. 

11 minutes ago, medonedayyyyy said:

You are completely correct! My apologies, I realize my initial post was unclear and misleading. You can in fact apply in your last year and your acceptance would be conditional in that you complete your degree. Thank you for pointing that out!

I also think you are correct RE the 60 consecutive graded credits. It appears they had 56 graded credits, so they therefore did not meet the minimum requirement of 60 graded credits. But as you mentioned it is always good to double check with admissions. 

Do I have to take the 60 credits in the same undergrad ? Anyway with my GPA not sure I’ll be competitive for McGill until I finish my current degree 

thank you all for the specifications !

4 minutes ago, Kazem said:

Do I have to take the 60 credits in the same undergrad ? Anyway with my GPA not sure I’ll be competitive for McGill until I finish my current degree 

thank you all for the specifications !

I don't have the answer to that question. To my understanding, 60 consecutive graded credits imply that you need at least 2 years of consecutive classes maybe that are graded in the same institution  to be eligible. However, I would clarify with admissions.

4 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

I don't have the answer to that question. To my understanding, 60 consecutive graded credits imply that you need at least 2 years of consecutive classes that are graded to be eligible. I would clarify with admissions.

Do you have an idea of the minimum GPA required for dentistry (on a scale of 4,33) I know medicine it should be around 4.1, but what about dentistry ? Also, do you guys think it is worth it studying dentistry at McGill ?  Also I have a very important question ! I will be applying for American university of Beirut next semester ans I was wondering if I could get an equivalency toward the royal college of physician in Canada as it is an American college accredited ? I just don’t want to apply for nothing (it is my last plan tho in case I get refused in every programs in Quebec !)

1 minute ago, Kazem said:

Do you have an idea of the minimum GPA required for dentistry (on a scale of 4,33) I know medicine it should be around 4.1, but what about dentistry ? Also, do you guys think it is worth it studying dentistry at McGill ? 

I don't know. Dentistry at McGill is competitive due to the small class size and starting next year, you are required to take the DAT. I'm not familiar with the 4,33 scale to comment and again, I'd defer this question to admissions and see if they can provide a conversion chart.

Regarding whether it is worth studying dentistry at McGill, you will have to ask yourself if you are comfortable with dentistry as a future career. What do you envision yourself doing? Will you be happy as a dentist but not a physician? What do you know about dentistry curriculum, lifestyle, patient population? What about the business and practice of dentistry, market saturation, etc.? Unless you know for sure you are happy with dentistry if med doesn't work out, I wouldn't advice going into dentistry. With that said, McGill's dentistry has the advantage of small class size, exposure to a lot of specialization during your training (OMFS, etc.) that other programs in Canada may not have. Students take the same classes as med students meant that you learn more than what's needed for general practice, but it does prepare you well to enter and apply for residencies for specialization.

1 minute ago, abcd1288 said:

I don't know. Dentistry at McGill is competitive due to the small class size and starting next year, you are required to take the DAT. I'm not familiar with the 4,33 scale to comment and again, I'd defer this question to admissions and see if they can provide a conversion chart.

Regarding whether it is worth studying dentistry at McGill, you will have to ask yourself if you are comfortable with dentistry as a future career. What do you envision yourself doing? Will you be happy as a dentist but not a physician? What do you know about dentistry curriculum, lifestyle, patient population? What about the business and practice of dentistry, market saturation, etc.? Unless you know for sure you are happy with dentistry if med doesn't work out, I wouldn't advice going into dentistry. With that said, McGill's dentistry has the advantage of small class size, exposure to a lot of specialization during your training (OMFS, etc.) that other programs in Canada may not have. Students take the same classes as med students meant that you learn more than what's needed for general practice, but it does prepare you well to enter and apply for residencies for specialization.

Thanks man ! I’ll definitely try to focus on myself more this year to really determine wether I’d see my self as a physician or another health care professional ! 

Just now, Kazem said:

Thanks man ! I’ll definitely try to focus on myself more this year to really determine wether I’d see my self as a physician or another health care professional ! 

Good luck! It's a long and tough journey but if it is what you really aspire to become, you should not give up (unless it's clearly unrealistic to continue but no one would know that except for you).

12 hours ago, medonedayyyyy said:

Bold is not true anymore since last year and this cycle. 

6 minutes ago, Mikasa said:

Est ce que quelque sait si  McGill nous envoie notre ranking (pour casper, cv, etc) dans le même email que les offres/refus le 25 mars ? ou il faut en faire la demande 

Mon francais n'est pas bon. I believe you have to request your file ranking (if you receive a rejection email). Usually there is a form to fill out and the rankings will be available some time in the early summer.

13 hours ago, keipop said:

not at Sherbrooke, there’s a “loophole” that lets you switch after doing only one year of uni (which still exists btw).

Oui en effet. Je voulais plus dire qu’il n’est plus possible d’appliquer avec une cag mixée cru et crc. Car si je me trompe pas, ces candidats-là pour Sherbrooke, seulement leur crc est regardée ! Mais tu as raison