Premed 101 Forums

Locum vs Part Time vs Full Time

I'm strongly considering doing locums or doing part time work for a year or two after residency before committing to a fellowship or full time position. The response to this idea from academic Rads is pretty skewed to "why wouldn't you want to work full time, this is the best job in the world" type mentality. I feel there are a lot of non academic Rads who are doing other things (running their own imaging clinics, consulting, pursuing other business/investing/start up interests, etc.) that we don't get exposed to unless you have connections. 

I would rather work 4-6 months a year, do many other things and make $200-300k than work 10-11 months and make >$1M. Wondering what the flexibility is to negotiate a contract with that kind of commitment. 

6 hours ago, W0lfgang said:

I'm working part time myself, and doing other stuff on the side. Love it. You just have to wait for the job openings. Lakeridge just sent out an ad for a part time position a few months ago. Also no harm in approaching groups yourself.

That's awesome to hear! What's your work schedule like? Also is a fellowship helpful to negotiate for these kinds of things or can a general rad land a part time job with not much difficulty all things considered equal? 

Also if you're able to share, what kinds of stuff do you do on the side? Hobbies and such or business/investing stuff?

Glad there are rads out there who aren't rushing head over heels to get into a full time academic position and want to live an actual balanced life. 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:06 PM, MarshMellow10 said:

I'm strongly considering doing locums or doing part time work for a year or two after residency before committing to a fellowship or full time position. The response to this idea from academic Rads is pretty skewed to "why wouldn't you want to work full time, this is the best job in the world" type mentality. I feel there are a lot of non academic Rads who are doing other things (running their own imaging clinics, consulting, pursuing other business/investing/start up interests, etc.) that we don't get exposed to unless you have connections. 

I would rather work 4-6 months a year, do many other things and make $200-300k than work 10-11 months and make >$1M. Wondering what the flexibility is to negotiate a contract with that kind of commitment. 

I would gather keeping up your skills may play a part of why some steer you towards full-time work? Especially as a new grad, you are still in the solidifying phase  where you need to see a lot of cases and continually refine your skills and build build build your repetoire. I think these thoughts are fairly agnostic to specialty and vaguely apply to any field. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, W0lfgang said:

I'm working part time myself, and doing other stuff on the side. Love it. You just have to wait for the job openings. Lakeridge just sent out an ad for a part time position a few months ago. Also no harm in approaching groups yourself.

Very interested in hearing more about this. Im currently an MS4 applying to rads, internal med, family med and trying to decide which I should do. I know that radiology is no way a ROAD specialty anymore, and that the residency is gruelling in a very unique way, but I love the content and diagnostic aspect of the specialty. That being said, I love the outpatient clinic environment and the content of internal as well. 

I just want to be able to prioritize geographic location, lifestyle and flexibility for career adaptation as I age, because if I am not able to do this, I feel like I wont be happy. How feasible is it to work part time or in a private clinic in radiology in canada. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, MarshMellow10 said:

That's awesome to hear! What's your work schedule like? Also is a fellowship helpful to negotiate for these kinds of things or can a general rad land a part time job with not much difficulty all things considered equal? 

I work full time hours some weeks and few hours per day other weeks. Nowadays, you need a fellowship and experience to land a job, even in the community. If you have to take a full time job, there is always opportunity to go down in time once you're established.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, MarshMellow10 said:

Also if you're able to share, what kinds of stuff do you do on the side? Hobbies and such or business/investing stuff?

Glad there are rads out there who aren't rushing head over heels to get into a full time academic position and want to live an actual balanced life. 

Investments, hobbies, exercise, cooking, anything you want!

On 1/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, Jm88 said:

Very interested in hearing more about this. Im currently an MS4 applying to rads, internal med, family med and trying to decide which I should do. I know that radiology is no way a ROAD specialty anymore, and that the residency is gruelling in a very unique way, but I love the content and diagnostic aspect of the specialty. That being said, I love the outpatient clinic environment and the content of internal as well. 

I just want to be able to prioritize geographic location, lifestyle and flexibility for career adaptation as I age, because if I am not able to do this, I feel like I wont be happy. How feasible is it to work part time or in a private clinic in radiology in canada. 

Residency was tough, but not tougher than other specialties. It's also temporary. I have a lot of control of my life now as a staff. I don't think anyone should pick a specialty based on what they have been told about the residency experience.

On 2/1/2021 at 2:40 PM, W0lfgang said:

I work full time hours some weeks and few hours per day other weeks. Nowadays, you need a fellowship and experience to land a job, even in the community. If you have to take a full time job, there is always opportunity to go down in time once you're established.

Investments, hobbies, exercise, cooking, anything you want!

Residency was tough, but not tougher than other specialties. It's also temporary. I have a lot of control of my life now as a staff. I don't think anyone should pick a specialty based on what they have been told about the residency experience.

Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah rads jobs are hugely variable.  For instance, a colleague of mine just took a tele job working for a big academic centre, but he's going to be based in Hawaii and working a number of weekdays per week, plus one weekend day.  No procedures (obviously, since this is tele work), all diagnostic.  Another was looking at some nighthawk work wherein they'd only be working two weeks per month, but three weekends per month, also.  Other jobs offer four days per week work with call, etc., etc.  There are myriad combinations depending on what you wish to do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 7:31 PM, HounsfieldUnit said:

Yeah rads jobs are hugely variable.  For instance, a colleague of mine just took a tele job working for a big academic centre, but he's going to be based in Hawaii and working a number of weekdays per week, plus one weekend day.  No procedures (obviously, since this is tele work), all diagnostic.  Another was looking at some nighthawk work wherein they'd only be working two weeks per month, but three weekends per month, also.  Other jobs offer four days per week work with call, etc., etc.  There are myriad combinations depending on what you wish to do.

wonder what the implications are for CMPA coverage/medicolegal issues. have heard of some docs getting f'd by not being in the province or country while providing services...as well as with provincial billing. 

3 hours ago, #YOLO said:

wonder what the implications are for CMPA coverage/medicolegal issues. have heard of some docs getting f'd by not being in the province or country while providing services...as well as with provincial billing. 

that is true for Canada - in the US it is quite common to do telerad out of state or even out of country, particularly for outside of regular hours work. As a counter in Ontario if you want to work/billing in Ontario you better be in Ontario (which is no end of annoyance to a friend of mine that lives in Quebec but works in Ottawa. That isn't allowed but someone in Windsor could tele read for Ottawa and that is a 8 hour drive vs his 10 mins to work).