Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/Regrets 2021

Result: Invite 

Time Stamp: 11:10AM EST

cGPA/wGPA: 3.01/3.9

Year: completed MHSc 2 years ago, first time med applicant

MCAT: 509 (125/129/127/128)

ECs: Strongest part of my app I think....3+ years in research, one first author pub, 2 presentations, lots of posters, diverse volunteer activities, 3000 hours as a semi-professional musician

CASPer: idk score but when I got rejected from memorial and asked for feedback the lady told me my score was "above average"

Result: invite

Time Stamp: 11:10 AM EST

cGPA/wGPA: 3.71/3.98

Year: completed undergrad

MCAT: 510 (127/127/127/129)

ECs: nothing too special i think?? i honestly just did stuff i enjoyed so i tended to have a decent amount of long-term activities but nothing groundbreaking or too unique at all imo!! some research but no pubs
, a variety of volunteering and EC positions, a few long-term personal activities, one NSERC USRA, one TA position

CASPer: really didn't feel great about it but i guess it went alright?? tried to prep for it a fair bit but i feel like i have a hard time typing things out succinctly and end up word vomiting for every answer :wacko:

soooooo incredibly grateful for the invite :') got the R from western last week and was feeling pretty insecure about my ABS so this was such a pleasant and welcome surprise!!!! congratulations to the people who received invites and i'm sending all my love and support over to everyone who received bad news today <3 i believe in you all!!!! :wub:

cGPA/wGPA: 4.00

Year: 4th yr BSc

MCAT: 522 (131/129/132/130)

ECs: Extensive Volunteering, 2 jobs, no research

CASPer:  Good

2020-2021 Cycle

Applied: Dalhousie, Memorial, Queen's, McMaster, University of Toronto, Ottawa, UBC, Manitoba

Interview: Memorial, Queen's, McMaster, Ottawa, UBC, Manitoba

cGPA/wGPA: 4.00

Year: Graduated last year, gap year now

MCAT: 522 (130/128/132/132)

ECs: Extensive research (3 publications, 1 lead author), volunteering at hospital and for teaching, founded a non-profit, involved in several clubs

CASPer:  Good I think! (got II at Mac, Mcgill, and uOttawa, which look at CASPER)

Invite!

cGPA/wGPA: 3.95/4.0

year: 2019 (mature student)

MCAT: 519 (128/130/130/131)

ECs: long term volunteering in disability and addictions fields, 10 years employment in both fields combined, 4 years supervisor experience. 

9 withdrawals - 5 due to health issues 11 years ago and 4 due to some other reasons. Expecting to talk about these during the panel if I make it there, but good to know that they still want to give me a shot!

Result: Rejection

Time Stamp: 8:02AM EST

cGPA/wGPA: >3.7/~3.9 (OMSAS conversion hurt my GPA but I don't even remember what I had exactly lol)

Year: Graduated and working

MCAT: 129/126/129/128

ECs:  I feel like they are resonably strong but I have never gotten an interview before so who knows :unsure: Was kinda expecting this R but I will post my ECs once Alberta invites/rejections are out

CASPer:  Felt alright but I honestly have no idea.

Almost certain that my CARS stopped me from having any chance at receiving an interview. Its so crazy to me how competitive this process has become. Not only are we pitted against an extremely competitive pool of applicants, but an otherwise strong application can be screened out just for not meeting one cut-off 

2 hours ago, immune said:

Result: INVITE!!!! Can't believe it. My first time ever. Got rejected from UBC and thought it was game over for me this cycle! 

cGPA/wGPA: ~3.91

Year: Just completed PhD

MCAT: 518 (129/127 (CARS)/131/131

ECs: 75th-100th percentile at UBC. 

CASPer: I guess it went okay! First time taking it. 

Do you mind PMing me please. I need to improve my application

I find it interesting that different medical schools seem to look at different criteria.

My daughter got interviews to some medical schools like Western but got rejected from Queen's.

Just scrolling through the messages I noticed some applicants got a Queens interview but got rejected from Western.

I guess that's a good thing because otherwise all medical schools would be chasing the same applicants and you'd either get all interviews or all rejects.

Now I'm an old accountant so I'm not as smart as any of you but it seems to me that just because you get an interview does not mean your application can't be improved upon.  So I wouldn't assume that just because an applicant got an interview that you can just follow their advice.

Sometimes a reject can simply be because a medical school has a cutoff for CARS at say 127 and you have a 126 and they didn't even look at your application.

I think medical schools should provide feedback for a rejection.

Then at least you know why and can improve for next time or not bother applying and wasting your time or money.

Just thought I would give my perspective in case any of you are interested in an old man's thoughts.

30 minutes ago, here4mydaughter said:

I find it interesting that different medical schools seem to look at different criteria.

My daughter got interviews to some medical schools like Western but got rejected from Queen's.

Just scrolling through the messages I noticed some applicants got a Queens interview but got rejected from Western.

I guess that's a good thing because otherwise all medical schools would be chasing the same applicants and you'd either get all interviews or all rejects.

Now I'm an old accountant so I'm not as smart as any of you but it seems to me that just because you get an interview does not mean your application can't be improved upon.  So I wouldn't assume that just because an applicant got an interview that you can just follow their advice.

Sometimes a reject can simply be because a medical school has a cutoff for CARS at say 127 and you have a 126 and they didn't even look at your application.

I think medical schools should provide feedback for a rejection.

Then at least you know why and can improve for next time or not bother applying and wasting your time or money.

Just thought I would give my perspective in case any of you are interested in an old man's thoughts.

This is very good advice...I don't mean to be rude and I'm genuinely curious but why doesn't your daughter have an account on here and post for herself. If she is going to be interviewing for medical school, she should be taking initiative in her own application, because after all she is an adult, the one going through this, and it's her life and future. 

No offence taken.  She will probably set up an id here soon.

Right now she just views anonymously and is concentrating on preparing for interviews.

Plus she works full time so her time is limited.

I just scan the boards for her and if I see anything interesting, I let her know.

But yes I have mentioned to her that it would be wise for her to set up an id herself.

Result: Invited

Time Stamp: 11:10 am

cGPA/wGPA: cGPA 3.66/ wGPA unsure for Queens (Masters GPA was 3.96- I know they don't consider it, but hey)

Year: 5 years post masters.

MCAT: 125/128/127/130

ECs: I think this is my area of strength. Currently working full time clinically in acute care as an allied health professional. I have work experience in pediatric clinics, community care, private practice, long term care, pharmacy tech in high school. I enjoy doing a lot of mentoring and guiding other undergrad/high school students who want to get into my profession. I work as a clinical educator for McMaster, U of T, Western and Georgian College. I've helped to establish health care programs and initiatives in my home community and my current hospital

CASPer: Felt great, except one question I didn't get to read the prompt and it went to the next screen.

I am beyond thrilled. I just want to note for other students on here- I have never taken biochem, physics, or organic chemistry. I taught myself the content for the MCAT this summer while working full time in healthcare during the pandemic. It was an absolute struggle. I know my score is by no means outstanding, but I am proud. Hoping to give some hope to future non-trads, individuals who simply can't return to school to boost their marks/take some MCAT pre-reqs, or those worried about learning the MCAT content. You can do it! So excited for my interview, good luck everyone! :lol:

Time Stamp: 11:10 EST

cGPA/wGPA: ~3.9 GPA (cGPA and wGPA pretty similar)

Year: Graduated April 2020 from a BC uni

MCAT: 130/128/128/128 (514)

ECs:  Lots of long-term volunteering, bunch of different jobs, hobbies, sports/rec. things, personal life experiences things....pretty holistic/varied application I'd say .. idk 

CASPer: Winged it. Couldn't even remember how it went. Didn't get McGill, UOttawa, or McMaster interviews so...

Third time applying at Queen's, first interview! I interviewed at UBC two years ago but no other interviews/invites since then. I'm a BC resident fyi

Good luck to everyone, it's a long process for sure

Result: Rejection 

Time Stamp: Feb 2, 2021, 12:03pm

cGPA/wGPA: 3.9, 3.95

Year: 4th year undergraduate 

MCAT: 128/128/129/130, Total 515 (91st percentile)

ECs: Personal trainer for about two years now, volunteering at multiple Hospices since summer 2019 (as a Resident volunteer with 1-1 support and emotional connection with residents in palliative care), systems anatomy volunteer (front line then promoted to senior coordinator) for a university course running labs (two years),volunteering at senior exercise centre for cardiovascular complications, behavioural support volunteer at a long term care home, shadowing an emergency physician, nurse practitioner and geriatrician on a regular basis. I have a ton of volunteering hours but these are my main ones, with personal trainer being my job. These volunteer placements weren't just directing patients around either.

Thought being a hospice volunteer and the hours accumulated would be impressive, I guess not. This one really hurt, along with the Western rejection but this cycle clearly I wasn't enough. To all of you who got rejected, keep going until you get it. If you really want it just keep trying! I hope to meet you all someday, the ones who get rejected and work hard to achieve your dreams. 

CASPer: Thought I did well but maybe not. I practiced a ton to work on my typing and process of answering questions. 

Congrats to everyone who got an interview! Good luck, I hope you get in!