Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/Regrets 2021

1 hour ago, hermitian said:
1 hour ago, hermitian said:

Invite!! IP, 3.95 2-year, 1st quintile CASPER and good refs? 511 MCAT (129 on CARS)

Also, anyone want to make a group to do some MMI prep?

Hi Hermitian,

I would definitely be interested in doing some interview prep! Be sure to let me know

Hey all,

Congratulations to all those who received a QMED interview this year and best of luck in future cycles for those who didn't get good news!

Just wanted to quickly ask, obviously Queen's does not publish the cutoffs year to year (given that they change), but, is anyone aware of if a 126 Bio will get me screened out? It seems to be on the edge, but I'm not sure. All other sections are 127+ (CARS 128, P/S 131)

5 hours ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Just wanted to quickly ask, obviously Queen's does not publish the cutoffs year to year (given that they change), but, is anyone aware of if a 126 Bio will get me screened out?

Found this from an invited applicant in this forum:

“wGPA: 3.75

Current year: Post grad 

MCAT: 130/130/125/131”

13 hours ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Hey all,

Congratulations to all those who received a QMED interview this year and best of luck in future cycles for those who didn't get good news!

Just wanted to quickly ask, obviously Queen's does not publish the cutoffs year to year (given that they change), but, is anyone aware of if a 126 Bio will get me screened out? It seems to be on the edge, but I'm not sure. All other sections are 127+ (CARS 128, P/S 131)

I had a 125 in C/P and got an invite 

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: 11:10 EST

cGPA/wGPA: 3.69 GPA (both my cGPA and wGPA are the same if Winter 2020 grades are excluded)

Year: 4th year university

MCAT: 518 with all sections 128 or higher

ECs:  Long term wet lab research, long term policy and advocacy positions, hospital volunteer but only in high school, about 100 hours of clinical experience, diverse interests outside of medicine like sports, finance, entrepreneurship etc. 

CASPer: Received Mac as well with a low GPA so probably went well.

I hope this gives some hope and motivation to those with a low GPA. You are facing an uphill battle in terms of CARS, EC's and CASPer, but if you excel in those areas and your weakness is simply regurgitating content on exams (i.e. low GPA), then it is possible to still get interviews in Ontario. Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, Ubcmedapplicant101 said:

First time applicant here , out of province, are all the invites and rejects out yet? I haven't received anything from Queens and we get this through email right ? 

Hi, I am under the impression that they sent out all invites and regrets on Tuesday. I think you should email the admissions office (after you check the junk/spam/promotions folders in your inbox)

Late to post my result because I needed two days to wallow.

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 12:07 pm EST

cGPA/wGPA: 3.97 (don't think I was eligible for wGPA because I didn't take a full course load in my last few years)

Year: Graduated and working for 5+ years

MCAT: 523 (130/131/130/132)

ECs: Over 5 years working as a Registered Dietitian, 10 month dietetic internship, 8 years writing a food blog, 250 hours as a dietary aide in hospital and misc summer jobs. A lot of other more short term ECs (25 to 90 hours) like a soup kitchen, university club, and other volunteering.

CASPer: Good enough to get interviews at Mac and Ottawa

I'm so bummed about the R and trying to figure out what I'm missing. I'm wondering if either Queens doesn't like applicants who don't take a full-time course load all 4 years, or maybe too many of my ECs are too short term? I was hoping 5 years as a registered health professional would make up for the other shorter term ECs but I guess not...

9 hours ago, RD2MD said:

Late to post my result because I needed two days to wallow.

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 12:07 pm EST

cGPA/wGPA: 3.97 (don't think I was eligible for wGPA because I didn't take a full course load in my last few years)

Year: Graduated and working for 5+ years

MCAT: 523 (130/131/130/132)

ECs: Over 5 years working as a Registered Dietitian, 10 month dietetic internship, 8 years writing a food blog, 250 hours as a dietary aide in hospital and misc summer jobs. A lot of other more short term ECs (25 to 90 hours) like a soup kitchen, university club, and other volunteering.

CASPer: Good enough to get interviews at Mac and Ottawa

I'm so bummed about the R and trying to figure out what I'm missing. I'm wondering if either Queens doesn't like applicants who don't take a full-time course load all 4 years, or maybe too many of my ECs are too short term? I was hoping 5 years as a registered health professional would make up for the other shorter term ECs but I guess not...

Agreed -- I am disappointed and confused for you too!!!  Great to hear that you at least have received other invites -- does Queen's only use wGPA if you have a full course load (3 courses per term) all years of undergraduate?  But you have an excellent MCAT score, your cGPA is still very high and you had a CASPer good enough for McMaster!  [confused emoji]  Wonder if anyone will have insights!  

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: 11:10AM EST

cGPA/wGPA: 3.96

Year: 3rd

MCAT: 520 (130/128/132/130)

ECs:  Decent? 

CASPer: Not a very fast typer—McMaster and Ottawa really said no thank you to me as well 

It's a rare feeling when you get your first interview and start thinking: "I might just be able to do this..." 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, coffee coffee said:

Thanks! I've been prepping 5 minute answers so hoping this is the case

No problem! 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, Hellohellohello said:

Guys, I was locked out of my email this week. So I got the interview invite but I just saw it and couldn't register for it on time. I emailed them but has this happened to anyone before? Do you think they'll let me interview? I'M SO STRESSED!

This sounds like a very specific problem, so I doubt many people have encountered it before. The Queen’s email does state “If we do not receive a response to this invitation by February 5th, 2021 at 1:00PM EST, your interview invitation will be set to decline.”

It would be incredibly unfortunate for you to miss out on your interview because of this, however schools have deadlines to meet. I will add that, as an aspiring medical professional, you should really be aware of important dates and times. Queen’s interviews often come out around now, and this information can be readily found online. I really hope that this doesn’t cost you your interview, but regardless of what happens remember that a) dwelling on what happened won’t change anything and b) treating this as a valuable learning experience will make you a better person. Good luck!

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 12:07pm
wGPA/cGPA: 3.92 wgpa
Year: Graduated back in 2016, 2nd degree applicant (H.BSc and H.BA)

MCAT: 127/126/127/130 (510) , 126 CARS
ECs: employed 1 year as primary care paramedic in Ontario, numerous medic jobs, patient care transfer, 2y rehabilitation coordinator, 1y client care coordinator for PSW services, President of University Immunology Club, Hospital volunteering, senior home volunteering, diabetes lab research volunteering, personal trainer, science tutor, etc.
Geography: IP

Based on this thread, is it safe to speculate that CARS cutoff was most probably 127 this year? Congrats to everyone who got an invitation!

On 2/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, hermitian said:

Invite!! IP, 3.95 2-year, 1st quintile CASPER and good refs? 511 MCAT (129 on CARS)

Also, anyone want to make a group to do some MMI prep?

On 2/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, glorianino said:

Hi. I would be interested in prep too.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, GIFreak said:

I would be interested in prep! 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, Hannnah said:

I would be interested in prepping as well!!

On 2/3/2021 at 7:37 AM, priyak said:

I would love to do some MMI prep!

I'm interesting in doing some online prep. Feel free to message me if you are still looking for partners!

A little late but just for stats!

Result: Rejection

Time Stamp: 12:02pm

cGPA/wGPA: 3.93/3.98

Year: Graduated University 2019 (UG)

MCAT: 513 (130/126/129/128)

ECs: Decent I think, good enough for the rest of the Ontario schools (excluding NOSM - could not apply there!)

CASPer: Got Mac with 126 cars so must have been okay!

I think I can thank my 126 in CARS for this one :') The R e-mails always sting, but I'm very lucky to have been blessed with lots of opportunities this year! Good luck to everyone interviewing at Queens :wub: