Premed 101 Forums

McGill Dentistry Invite/Regrets 2021

TIME STAMP: Je ne sais pas vraiment mais j'ai recu le courriel à 10:34 AM
Result: Waitlist (it says "demande en attente" or "reviewed-decision pending" in ENG)
GPA: 3,84
CV: rien qui me ferait me demarquer, jobs d'été, tutorat, pas de bénévolat récent...
Year: UG (finishing my third year)

Feelings about Casper: je ne sais pas vraiment, je sens que c'etait moins bon que par le passé, je ne pense pas m'être démarqué! (mais ca reste mon avis)

Applicant category: QC university 

Does anyone know how it works for the waitlist and if there were actually students interviewed from the waitlist in the past?

43 minutes ago, pharmyveg1 said:

TIME STAMP: 9:50 am
Result: Refused
GPA: 3.7 
CV: multiple part time jobs, research, alot of volunteering, pretty long and developed overall 
Year: last year undergrad 

Feelings about Casper: very good, ranked in the top quartile for Manitoba 

Also rejected. :( 

Btw, how do you check which quartile you're in for Manitoba?? 

TIME STAMP: emailed at 11:34am
Result: waitlisted for interview
GPA: 3.53* (submitted EXTC so may have been adjusted to higher)
CV: looots of different stuff, dental shadowing, head of many clubs, co-founded a non-profit, research experience, thesis, part-time jobs etc.
Year: UG, graduated 2020

Feelings about Casper: Felt very good about it

Applicant category: OOP

1 hour ago, NathanG said:

does that mean you got the interview or no? or you are just waiting for a spot to open?

Waitlisted for interview means that you are in a waitlist, not that you got an interview :) Im in the same situation and im not really familiar with this process, if someone has more info about that, stats, real experience.... let me know! Also, how close to the interview's day could we get contacted if a spot opens up? 

TIME STAMP: 12:03 p.m.
Result: Invite (further review required)
GPA: 4.0
CV: MSc., one first author peer reviewed publication and 4 co-author peer reviewed pubs. Currently working as a research technician in a lab. Lots of EC's in the healthcare field but nothing specific to dentistry.
Year: Professional 

Feelings about Casper: have written it a few times and felt pretty confident with my responses.

Extra notes: I completed a BSc., and then an MSc. I then went back to complete a second undergrad degree (BASc.) in 2 years and applied after completion. My first degree GPA was a 3.33. Second degree was a 4.0

TIME STAMP: checked at 10h43
Result: Regrets
GPA: 3.78 (3.9 at Udem)
ECs (CV): Nothing related to dentistry; 1 pub in high impact journal (was not approved by the time of submitting my application), 1 review in the writing process, few poster presentation, few volunteering, fund raising, some internships (lab and clinics), member of the graduating committee and few summer jobs here and there
Year: 3 rd UG

Feelings about Casper: don't think it went well. Hopefully I'll do better next year.

TIME STAMP: 11:40 AM EST

Result: Invite 

GPA: 3.97 (according to McGill academic workbook, without winter 2020 grades)

CV: some in-person and virtual dental shadowing. 1 year clinical research assistant. 4th year thesis research project. 2 years breast care clinic volunteering+ 2 years of other hospital volunteering. Mentoring. 3 years senior home volunteer. Worked in customer service during one summer. (Overall I think my CV is fairly avg)

Year: UG. Graduated June 2020

Feelings about Casper: no clue how it went. All I can say is I didn't leave anything blank lol

TIME STAMP: 2:30 PM EST

Result: Refused 

GPA: 3.98 (according to McGill academic workbook)

CV:  3 pubs (no first author); research (posters; conference pres); 2 years clinical volunteering; 2+ years tutoring; 1 year hospital volunteer; some part-time jobs; nothing specific to dentistry

Year: MSc 

Feelings about Casper: no idea, probably not the best

First time posting an invite to anything ever (3rd time applying med/dental). Honestly just expected a regrets email when I first saw my mailbox. All this to say, hang in there, you never know and things have a way of working themselves out :)

TIME STAMP: 12:03PM
Result: Invite
GPA: 3.94 (can't see my GPA on the workbook, instead I see --, but this is my GPA on my transcript)
CV: Pretty average I think (research, volunteer, clubs, wrote about swimming, etc.)
Year: Masters 

Feelings about Casper: Second time writing, with feedback from McGill last year after a reject (~150 rank I think)

Applicant category: OOP, but MSc in QC